Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 268 (Who?), Viewed: 13832 times.
Page 11 of 11
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#251 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 2:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus Allien
A thing some people say I don't understand is that community lots are empty in TS3. I've never had any problem getting at least 6 or 7 Sims at any lot my Sims visit.

I've never understood it either. My lots always seem so nice and lively. Especially the parks, plenty of Sims walking around, talking, etc. What would irritate me more than slightly empty lots is Sims just standing around doing nothing while their queue is filled with 5-6 interactions. Can anyone guess which game I had trouble with that in?

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Forum Resident
#252 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 6:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
I've never understood it either. My lots always seem so nice and lively. Especially the parks, plenty of Sims walking around, talking, etc. What would irritate me more than slightly empty lots is Sims just standing around doing nothing while their queue is filled with 5-6 interactions. Can anyone guess which game I had trouble with that in?

In my game the park is right near my house so I often see Sims having a picnic. Chatting with each other. Doing the seasonal activities. Even when my Sim is not there I see that.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/PuddingFace
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#253 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 4:38 PM
So, I saw on the S4 side of things that there were some new social media options for Sims thrown into the game. The reaction seems kind of mixed. Out of respect for other posters I won't say who or what they posted. But I did notice that some think that TS3 has those annoying "features" shoved in your face. If it's the "Share to Facebook" options with memories and whatever else, at least it can be shut off/ignored.

But, it made me realize something else. I don't think a lot of people understand why others get so "up in arms" about things like this. It's not just the fact that with something like TS4 that half the game is filled with trendy memes and pop culture references. It's that there isn't really room for anything else. In TS3, you have maybe one or two minor things that really "date" the game that are actually part of regular gameplay. Besides that, if you want to bulldoze every lot in the world you're playing in and mold it into whatever you want, you can do that. Not only that, but the different life stages feel different from each other. It's great. In TS4 you are constantly reminded of Maxis' "vision" and how you're not "supposed" to play any other way.

I'll explain what I mean with that last part. One thing that really stuck out to me before I quit playing TS4 is that every life stage feels exactly the same in regards to how they interact, speak with each other, etc. For instance, when any Sim leaves they always say "I have to go now. Thanks for hanging out with me." Elders will say that to each other. To their grandkids, parents visiting their children, so on and so forth. It constantly reminds you that this game was not built to be a "life" simulator. It was built to be a mid-late 2010s simulator.

Top Secret Researcher
#254 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 6:54 PM
Some sims show up in my parks and they love restaurants if I have a RH rug there also, but for nightclubs and bowling alleys and other places, nobody comes. Had one busy resort I made but most of them are pretty empty too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#255 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 7:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
Some sims show up in my parks and they love restaurants if I have a RH rug there also, but for nightclubs and bowling alleys and other places, nobody comes. Had one busy resort I made but most of them are pretty empty too.

Yeah, admittedly venues can be a little dead sometimes. But you have to remember that you are playing with a town full of Sims that are all being controlled at the same time. To be frank, I've never really had trouble getting at least 10 or so Sims to show up and that suits me fine. I hate the TS4 model where Sims are only "pushed" to the lot when you actively go there. No Sims are ever already there, you go and they show up through the front when you do.

Top Secret Researcher
#256 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, admittedly venues can be a little dead sometimes. But you have to remember that you are playing with a town full of Sims that are all being controlled at the same time. To be frank, I've never really had trouble getting at least 10 or so Sims to show up and that suits me fine. I hate the TS4 model where Sims are only "pushed" to the lot when you actively go there. No Sims are ever already there, you go and they show up through the front when you do.

I actually like them to be pushed to where I am playing. I would rather have them there than someplace else who knows where. I have never used any of the cheats to draw sims to the lot my sim is at, but may do that at a later date. And I have never fiddled with Park Control whatever it is called yet. Many things on long to do list.
Lab Assistant
#257 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 11:57 PM
Empty lots? I wish. I have to send my sims out for a romantic date at 3am, and even then, there will be interruptions by townies who complain about being hungry, sleepy or smelly but demand their autograph NOW. Rude. That is without paparazzi and tourists.

omnis mundi creatura
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#258 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylee
I actually like them to be pushed to where I am playing.

I actually agree somewhat. It's complicated. What I really meant was that I hate the semi-obvious way TS4 does it. I like Sims showing up to venues when I go, but what I don't like is the game picking from the exact same pool of Sims every time to crowd the venue. And I hate that the venue is completely empty until you show up, other Sims only show up at the exact same time you do. It just ruins any sense that other Sims have lives of their own, makes it feel like set dressing or something.

Instructor
#259 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:01 AM
I like sims to be pushed to where my sims is. I always see sims at parks and stuff, even when my sim isn't there, but I like more to show up when my sims arrive.
When I build places such as bowling alleys etc, I always add other objects of interest for them, like arcade machines or a pool table, and my venue always has sims at it. When adding a bar or a club to my town, I also only put one or two. Otherwise you end up with two sims at one bar, and perhaps three at another across town, and one in another place. If I just put one ( sometimes two but usually just one ) into my town, all sims go there, and my clubs are always full. They also love that claw machine that came with SN. I wish that I could find a mod that made them pay to use that.

I don't add things like Big Show venues or coffee houses or any SHT lots to my town either, I can't stand them. I normally just add two or three parks as well, one of them being a festival lot. I stick plenty of fun & skilling objects into the parks, and my sims are never without someone to interact with.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#260 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pary
I don't add things like Big Show venues or coffee houses or any SHT lots to my town either, I can't stand them. I normally just add two or three parks as well, one of them being a festival lot. I stick plenty of fun & skilling objects into the parks, and my sims are never without someone to interact with.

Ha, we play a lot of the same ways. I can't stand them either. Honestly, I don't really even like the festivals that much. I actually have a mod that disables auto placement of festivals so I can place them on my own in a town if I choose to do so. More work for me yes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Top Secret Researcher
#261 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:19 AM
I like to build community lots so my sims have many places to go. So I probably do too many and that spreads the demand for sims to fill them too thin. I get bored if I send them to the same places over and over. I like to have many choices for them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#262 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:26 AM
What's funny in my case is that in every save I have ever played, no matter what household I'm playing the gyms are always filled to the brim. Not the first venue on the list I'd expect to be booming, but I'm glad to see my Sims take physical fitness so seriously.

Top Secret Researcher
#263 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 12:35 AM
I think the gyms in my game are pretty busy too, but I hardly ever send sims there. Maybe as I do not go to one even though sure should. (!)
Scholar
#264 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 3:11 AM
I prefer multi-purpose lots. Right now my busiest lot in town is a comic book store with book store RH, laundromat and spa with the RH and hot tub, sauna and massage tables. Half the town is basically living there.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Top Secret Researcher
#265 Old 15th Nov 2018 at 3:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathea
I prefer multi-purpose lots. Right now my busiest lot in town is a comic book store with book store RH, laundromat and spa with the RH and hot tub, sauna and massage tables. Half the town is basically living there.

LOL I have some lots that are loaded with RH rugs. Probably too many.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#266 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 7:07 PM
Fusing my and igazor's post together about people believing that TS3 is old, I can't understand why, why, why, why some people have this mentality:

"I hope EA keeps doing this with The Sims [keeping it modern and trendy]. I never understood why people liked things like those old [landline] phones in TS3, or newspapers. Or why someone would want to play as some old person. That's stuff my parents did/used/are. I can relate to this so much better!"

Well, that's great and all for you, but ya'do know that you didn't HAVE to play with any of that, right? A great thing to have is options, it lets you play however you want. But no, you're right, let's continue to throw in stale memes that are already a year late, whatever social media trends we possibly can to make the game more appealing. (I hope nobody thought that was serious.)

What people don't realize is the more you throw into this game that's current now, may not be even five years from now. It's going to be filled with dead memes, moments of extreme "huh?", and so on. I know that not everyone is a die hard fan that continues to play their favorite for years after the fact, but the issue is there.

Inventor
#267 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 4:30 AM
I also pay attention to what community lot types I have, trying to remove redundancy. This to prevent that sims with similar traits won't divide over too many lots. I do this in any neighbourhood but even more so in a neighbourhood where I build my own community lots. As for newspapers and landline phones, I love TS3 for being able to set the theme for a neighbourhood.
I already use mods to control whether cars or boats are allowed. I even wish I could go further then that and control the type of cars and clothes For example, with Roaring Height, which has this classic Hollywood movie vibe to it, it would be cool to only allow pre 60s cars in that neighbourhood and bakelite landline phones etc. Or a western world without cars and just carts and horses.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#268 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 4:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
As for newspapers and landline phones, I love TS3 for being able to set the theme for a neighbourhood.

I've been noticing some of your recent TS3 posts. I always understood what you were saying with your points about performance issues, but I'm so glad to hear that TS3 is still fun for you.

That's exactly why I don't bite peoples' heads off for having a different opinion. I have to deal with enough of that irl with other people towards me, and I'm too much of a mediator anyway.

Inventor
#269 Old 18th Nov 2018 at 2:11 PM
Quote:
I've been noticing some of your recent TS3 posts. I always understood what you were saying with your points about performance issues, but I'm so glad to hear that TS3 is still fun for you.

That's exactly why I don't bite peoples' heads off for having a different opinion. I have to deal with enough of that irl with other people towards me, and I'm too much of a mediator anyway.

I have always been very passionate about my favourite games. TS3 is one of them. But I tend to criticise them just as hard as I love them. I don't criticise games that I am not interested in playing, unless it is the next installment from a franchise I love (TS4, Fallout 76 etc). But this is more about being afraid that one of my favourite franchises will change for the worse (for my liking ofc).
I do realise though that some people rather don't like to read any criticism about their favourite game at all, but fortunately it is allowed on these forums and most regulars here seem to agree.

When I am interested in purchasing a game, the first thing I always do is check the negative user reviews on Steam (and ofc gameplay vids etc). This is very useful for me, because while I know in general what types of games I like, I also know by now what I don't like in a game. And this is often about details for me. So to me criticism is always very useful. And the more elaborate negative reviews can be quite helpful in deciding if I like that game and whether there is a chance for improvement (for if it is in early access or something).

Anyway, I also tend to beat a dead horse sometimes (me about TS3 performance :p). Maybe it is the squishy sound it makes or I hope it will rise as an undead horse. I don't know.
Page 11 of 11