Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#2301 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 6:31 PM
Default Work in Progress II -- Community Park -- Lighting Test
Another foretaste of the lot we're building. They are now constructing overhead walkways for the children to play on. At present they are only about half finished. But, after hanging all those coloured light-bulbs long the front and the side of the restaurant, the Site Electrical Engineer decided that we needed a lighting test. This is what the partly complete park looks like by night:

As I mentioned before, this park is NOT going to close at sunset!

Cost is creeping up to §77K. Estimated total price on completion: §85K-§90K.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2302 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 8:24 PM
@Justpetro I really like the feel of your lot, it looks like I place I’d like to be in

I guess my lot will cost about 200k, for all I remember when I last entered it its value was about 150k, and there’s still plenty to do.

As for lights, I do like my lots quite lit up at night, but it’s annoying when the light it cut at the edge of the lot (because it’s impossible for it to go onto the hood terrain), so I try to place my lights in a way so it doesn’t happen, but then if I have things on the edge they end up unlit.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#2303 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 9:13 PM
Thank you, guys - I did enjoy building this one. Friday being a public holiday here helped a lot! I may be going away for a couple of days, but I will leave the fermented fruit juice bar in the capable hands of @Goldenbtrfly

Good luck to all the contestants, enjoy building Don't forget to have some fun.
Top Secret Researcher
#2304 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 10:08 PM
@Justpetro - Your lot is truly charming. I can't describe it properly, but I love how I would think to find it in a small, rural setting where the regulars come to picnic and gossip on weekends. :lovestruc

That said... Oh noes!!! *kermit flail*
Me? Tend?! I usually just raid it while you're away!

*puts on big girl pants* <you can do this>
Let me start you guys off nice and healthy with some fermented vegetable juice. Don't wrinkle your nose, give it a "no, thank you" sip at least!
Mad Poster
#2305 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 10:25 PM
Thank you
See you have it under control then! I'll have a fermented veggie juice before leaving. One for the road!
See you guys at the end of the week.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2306 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 6:19 AM
Arrived safely! Unloading the truck tomorrow. It's already past 1am. /sleep I have SO many posts to read up on! Haven't even started my lot....

My cat CAN NOT stop purring! She is so happy to have me with her again! (I sent her on ahead a week early make today less stressful.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2307 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 6:27 AM
Good to hear Phae. Also don't worry, I have only just got the first judges sheet in for last round.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#2308 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 9:38 AM
Default So I know we are all bringing our A game...
For this last round but trust me you should all just give up now as I have you beaten!
May I present the star of the show and the obvious winner.
Drumroll if you please...

Incase anyone doesn't realise I'm not serious just trying to get rid of the stress.
This is my third attempt at building the lot. All three times just before completion something went wrong.
First time I though I'd expand the lot result massive tears in what used to be a pool with no way to fix them including moving lot or packaging and trying in another hood.
Second time I started rebuilding just before I started taking pics I realised I'd miscounted when placing the original foundations and there was no way to save most of it so best to just start again.
Third time works like a charm as you can tell by the pics. So yeah I've won! Runs off to fermented juice bar giggling hysterically whilst talking to a pillow with a face drawn on it.
If you need me or my new best friend that's where we'll be
Scottiedoag and Plumpy
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#2309 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 9:18 PM
Oh no! Yes, I also found out the hard way, never ever use the LotAdjuster with a pool on the lot. BTW, if you still have the lot, try undoing whatever you did with the expander. I found that fixed my lot one time.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#2310 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Oh no! Yes, I also found out the hard way, never ever use the LotAdjuster with a pool on the lot. BTW, if you still have the lot, try undoing whatever you did with the expander. I found that fixed my lot one time.

Thanks I'll remember not to use it with a pool alright!
I did try undoing but no joy. Good news is that the Lambert kids have eaten all that marchmalllow cake so it's back in business. Hang on nope Plumpy says he did it...
Scottiedoag
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2311 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:47 PM
Yikes scottiedoag. I had no idea it would do that, no pools, thanks for the tip! One thing I do with any lot that is either time consuming or has tricky CFE areas is I save often and place the lot into the bin, multiple times. The lot in the bin has saved me a couple of times.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2312 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yikes scottiedoag. I had no idea it would do that, no pools, thanks for the tip! One thing I do with any lot that is either time consuming or has tricky CFE areas is I save often and place the lot into the bin, multiple times. The lot in the bin has saved me a couple of times.

My variation is to package it before shrinking, but it's the same idea. Right now, I'm up to Package #13 or 14 of this lot. (Lots of CFE'ing, in addition to adjusting. I'm about to go to #14 or 15 because I realized something stupid I did with CFE, and have to rework all the dummy roofs all over again. I'm surprised I overlooked this ... I know to do this every other time I've tried this! Must be the crud I contracted last week .... must have muddled my brain more than usual. I realized it as I was trying to set up for pictures.) Also, I sometimes find in some hoods that the unshrunk lot or a previous version works better with the other buildings.

At the end, I'll discard all packages except for the most recent and the best unshrunk version.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#2313 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:34 AM
I've been very lucky! I expanded my lot and the shrunk it again (in order to place decking nearer the edge of the lot, so as to improve access to the toilets), and my pool has survived intact. Quite a relief when I see Scottiedoag's! I do make (and keep) quite frequent backups of the 'hood to try to limit how much I could lose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(about making objects available on community lots)
Quote: Originally posted by scottiedoag
Yep Open the package and choose object data (OBJD).
Click on it in the right panel to open the plugin view them click the raw data tab. Choose decimal and find community sort in the list. If 0 change to 128. Commit then save package. Should have said to make a backup of your package in case of explosions!
Scottiedoag

Andrew it's even simpler to change lot zoning tor residential, place what you want and change it back to community-unless you don't have the cheat?
I did use the ChangeLotZoning cheat. I found that I had to save and exit the lot before the residential-only items appeared in the catalogue. I actually found I had to do this several times as my CC prams and buggies, and rebecah's toddler swing (which I had just downloaded) also normally only appear in residential lots. If they all work ok on this community lot, I think I'll modify the package files as Scottiedoag describes. Thank you both of you.

I've always been wary of the ChangeLotZoning cheat since a consensus here advised me against an idea I had of making the House of Fallen Trees into an owned community-lot Tricou museum. But of course that house has special coding, so it's no reason not to use the cheat on "ordinary" lots. I also don't know where to get a mailbox and dustbin (trash can) from but that's not a problem for a temporary change like this one.

Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
AndrewGloria I like the dome roof, I use them often myself
That's the roof I kept saying I didn't like! Since then I've downloaded a lot of roof patterns, and I've now got one I'm happier with, but the bandstand roof really looked horrible and top-heavy with a Maxis slate roof pattern. It looked as if the trellis-faced decking might collapse under the weight. It looks better with the roof pattern (itself a sort of trellis pattern) that I've got now. Anyway thanks for the compliment. I'm happier with the dome roof if a lot builder as talented as you likes it!

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
Justpetro and AndrewGloria, congrats on being the bravest among us and being the first two to post extensive pictures of your lots. Those look really nice and elegant.
Well my lot did I suppose have a certain elegance before I added all those overhead playground walkways! But the kids should have fun playing up there. Having escaped damage in my use of the Lot Adjuster, I think the swimming pool still retains a bit of elegance. It, with it's poolside park bench, is my main "flirty" feature (though my Sims can usually flirt, kiss and make out anywhere!). With all the other attractions in the park, a couple intent on romance will probably find that they have the pool to themselves. The mere fact that it is a swimming pool gives them a perfect excuse to take (most of) their clothes off, before making out on that bench.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I think my lot is now almost ready. The price has crept up to over §95K, which I suppose is a bit more than I budgeted for, but I've heard that, just occasionally, real life projects can end up late, and over budget. (That can't be true can it?) I think I'll still add a vending machine and an outdoor grill for any Sims who don't want (or can't afford) to use the restaurant. And I'll put a toy in the sandpit in the toddler's play area. Then I'll copy the lot to Elswyn (the neighbourhood I made for this contest) and see if the Sims there like it as much as I do. Since it's an unowned community lot, nothing will depreciate, and anyway there's no fixed budget for this round. So I can take all the pictures after the Sims start to use the lot.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#2314 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 2:46 PM
I have 108 pictures to sort through for this lot; and I already know I'll have to retake the foundation picture. I took a lot more, but have already eliminated some that were taken during playtest and showed things that got tweaked later. ("Bare siding is boring! MOAR FLAGS!") I fully expect to lose some points for overdoing things, but I feel that if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, and I love this lot. I already know I went to a lot of trouble to place a few details which I can't possibly waste a picture on; but hey, I know that box of tampons is there right next to the box of diapers that nobody can see either, and it makes me happy, so, worth the trouble.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#2315 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 3:14 PM
Hi

Hope everyone's builds are going Spectacularly.
I finally had time to start building last night and the best thing I could come up with was a Petting Zoo and a Country Store/Restaurant. I don't know, I ran out of time. Now I have to fine tune it and hope it's not too lame.

I found some Awesome Animals on the site to make it fun.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#2316 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:50 PM
I don't think a petting zoo could possibly be considered lame

I built a swimming pool, which is kind of lame but I feel like every community, be it human or sims, should have a simple, cheap outdoor pool to spend their summer

How much more time do we have? I can't spend to much time at the computer because of my back at the moment, so I haven't taken pictures yet. And I might need to change some things. The toddler room has a better toilet than the rest, so everyone keeps going there all the time.
Mad Poster
#2317 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM Last edited by gazania : 19th Jun 2017 at 10:09 PM.
Yes, I notice my family room is one of the popular ones on the lot as well. Sims love greeting each other there, and the Rhodes obviously thought that of course, it would be a great place to slow dance. I find myself mentally yelling, "Unless you have a toddler in this room, GET OUT!"

I don't think a single entry or idea so far has been lame. Mine is more of a fantasy.

These two-sided stained glass insets are still daunting me. I did two upper levels the best I could, have one more to go, and need to play test in very cold weather (we're getting past summer) to make sure these hold up in cold weather. They should. Even if I messed up one ceiling, there is a second ceiling below.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2318 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:58 PM
@Sweet Mystre you have tons of time. That clock is the judges time not yours.

Clock will be updated with contestants time in a bit you will have 10 days.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#2319 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:59 PM Last edited by Sweet Mystre : 26th Jun 2017 at 2:11 AM.
Hi

Not a Submission... Just a rush but silly me can't read the deadlines.
I hope it's okay I leave it here. It was fun to make if not meeting all requirements.
3x3 lot//Cost= 110,920
Old Country Store and Petting Zoo ~ Dirty Fun for All Ages!

Well, sad to not have any more to create and Good Luck to everyone! Happy Simming
Lab Assistant
#2320 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:01 PM
@Sweet Mystre you have tons of time. That clock is the judges time not yours.

Clock will be updated with contestants time in a bit you will have 10 days.

WHAA?! I tell you, having a 5 year old around for 2 weeks seems to have messed with my mind even more than I thought.

Thanks for letting me know. :blush: *I totally forgot about the judging part.
Well, I just finished to get it in under the timer. XD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2321 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:23 PM
One of our judges is having computer troubles and there was RL busyness. Right now I have 2 judges scores, and you always get some days after scores go up. Plus this is a 4 by 4 lot-so extra time for that as well.

You totally beat the judges timer.

New timer up guys!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2322 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:37 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Jun 2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: 32 pictures? I doubt if anyone would even want to see 32, or I would want to take that many! Oops.
I am going to try to get this last lot up this week as well. Ten days is really generous, but while I really enjoyed this contest, I'm feeling it's time to move on shortly, one way or another. When I build lots, I become way, way too detail-oriented with them, and my family would like me back! I would also want to post earlier to make sure I followed all the guidelines here. I think I got all of them. Really I do. But one thing I've seen here that is really nice is that if someone sees something really, really off, such as a foundation piece that shouldn't be there, someone usually lets the person know. In the case of gray areas in judging, the judges and Joandsarah77 have been really reasonable. But if there are any gray areas or outright no-nos, I'd rather find them out now and have a few days to fix them.

I will try reading the front page and every post since the foundation came out to make sure I didn't miss anything on my end as well. Simply relying only on others would be really lazy on my part.

My pictures will be larger than last time because there are a whole lot of little details on each floor, and I think the bigger pictures may best show them. I should fall within picture guidelines, though. Goodness, if I'm reading the screenshot guidelines right, technically I probably don't have to scale the pictures down at all. But I will a little.

One more thing I do need to know, though. Joandsarah77 had mentioned up to 21 pictures. If I have a three-storied building, though, are the rules about including a shot for each floor in effect? Previously, under those rules, I would have been allowed 23 pictures, since I have a three-storied building. But if I'm allowed 21, so be it. I might not mind it so much because some of the picture-taking is going to be a little tricky. I can see where I'm going to have to spend a lot more time getting these shots than usual.

And real life can stink sometimes. The scores will come in when they come in. At this point, though, I spent so, so much time and lost way too much sleep on this lot (other family members needed the machine for more important things, so I usually worked late at night) that honestly, if there is some major overall flaw in my building skills, I don't see how I can do much to correct it and suddenly win this. Ain't happening. So I hope the computer issues and other nonsense gets sorted soon, not because of the contest, but because those issues can be a real PITA!

Justpetro ... Your lot looks like a great place to get some exercise and have a great time outdoors! I like how each family contributed to the lot. It truly makes it the very definition of "community". And really, who wouldn't mind a cool treehouse? I'm way over 50, and even I wouldn't mind hanging out in one!

Sweet Mystre ... wow. I've been in places like these. I can almost smell the slightly-musty building and the animals. My kids used to LOVE these places, and I admit I've been in way too many of them. I still enjoy them thoroughly. Your interior details are exquisite, by the way!

But ... but ... we're not doing the same family/theme this time! How can this be? I must change my lot right away!

Oh ... and my A game? I would consider this more my (almost) everything-but-the-kitchen-sink lot. Wait ... I need to amend that. This is a Fine Arts Center. There are LOTS of sinks throughout the lot. No showers. They weren't required, and unless the Sims were doing some sort of performance art, they wouldn't be necessary. But three musts on this lot were sinks, soap, and paper towel dispensers. Art is a messy business!

Scholar
#2323 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:51 PM
It’s great we have so much time The worst of studying is over (and today I had my test immediately checked and I had 3/4 questions right so yay), so I’ll have more time now, especially after my last test on Thursday

Sweet Mystre I really like the picture with dogs and cats pretending to be different species

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Lab Assistant
#2324 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 1:54 AM
Thanks for the kind works on my little lot. I wanted to do more with the pets but I "thought" I ran out of time.

Yay~ 9 days to see if I can make a lot that meets all requirements or edit this one to meet them all.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2325 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:22 AM
My computer is set up at my new place, but I'm headed back for one last trip tomorrow till Thursday. I just finished reading through all the posts, and I LOVE the petting zoo! I'd totally download that. I love the old west architecture and the animals are a perfect touch! I was considering doing a circus but had no idea about the animals. This might be my solution...

Page 93 of 106