Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 11:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default strange problem with TS2 DVD version
I had all ep's and sp's installed on my windows 7 computer and spent many happy hours playing sims 2 making houses playing with my sim families and making up countless stories about their "lives" I even had one family set up to home school. I bought me a sub to TSR and was happy as a lark.

then I had to move. My stepdad helped. "grab everything by in on and around the computer!" I told him.

cue several weeks later when I'd had a hard day and just wanted to sim. Grabbed my copy of double deluxe (for some reason game always wanted that in the drive) opened it up.

no disk.

Checked the computer. No disk.

checked everywhere it could be. you guessed it. no disk.

after yelling at my stepdad and asking him just how hard it is to understand and follow such simple damn instructions as "grab everything arround on in and near the computer!" I decided I had no choice I was going to by a copy of double deluxe. AGAIN.

after not finding it anywhere I finally went on amazon and found it and bought it thinking nothing more of it.

little did I know....

when I got it I noticed the case felt "fatter" looking I saw it said "DVD" instead of "CD" but I thought "It doesn't matter double seluxe is double deluxe. the system and game won't give a shit."

oh but it DID give a shit. It gave a HUGE shit.

first it wouldn't let me run the game said it was the "wrong disk" or some shit.

Second when the launcher did show up it showed only two or three games installed maybe two EPs and a SP none of which were double deluxe.

I got so darn mad I just totally uninstalled the rest of the way. not too much later my disk rive failed so it wouldn't have ended any diffrent anyway.

all I can figure out is some how to the game itself "the sims 2 double deluxe PC/CD" and "the sims 2 double deluxe DVD" are not one in the same thing.

because nothing else was different. everything else was exactly the same.

same computer same drive same OS same game (sims 2 double deluxe) came CC same ISP ect

the only things that wire different was the date the time the time of day my clothes the season where the computer was placed and why I was playing.

and I highly doubt that a computer game is self aware enough to go "Oh she's wearing red when she normally wears blue and she's pissed instead of happy and it's sunday instead of monday and it's two am instead of three pm and it's winter instead of summer OH I KNOW I WON'T WORK!" but maybe it did I don't know!

What could have made it "decide" to "Behave" in such a manner?

I checked all causes that I could come up with I scanned for viruses and malware I emptyed my recycle bin I rebooted I disconected then reconected the net I checked for updates for everything from Windows to IE FireFox and Mozillia. I checked for updates and add ons et all for my sound card and video card and I never could find out or figure out "why".

I even updated flash several times.

to this day I don't know what the hell happened. all scans came up "clean" No viruses malware rootkits addware ect. all cards were up to date. Flash was at it's latest version .

any ideas what could have done it? because soon my computer will come back from being fixed and I will once more wish to play sims 2 (if installing it on my laptop which has windows 8 doesn't work out) it'd be nice to know if I'm going to get all the way "there" only for this shit to happen again.....

also as a side note is there anyway to get UC anymore?

I have sims 2 and I never got it. I have talked to EA and they said they cannot give it to me because I am lesbian. I kid you not. It looked for a few minutes they were going to give it to me even though it was just a one time thing really but then they asked me "So you like playing sims 2?" and I innocently said "Yes! I do!" and they asked "Whoelse that you know of plays sims 2?" and I guess they were mocking me out or something because right after I said "My girlfriend!" they said they could not give ne a copy of UC.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emma2015
I have sims 2 and I never got it. I have talked to EA and they said they cannot give it to me because I am lesbian. I kid you not. It looked for a few minutes they were going to give it to me even though it was just a one time thing really but then they asked me "So you like playing sims 2?" and I innocently said "Yes! I do!" and they asked "Whoelse that you know of plays sims 2?" and I guess they were mocking me out or something because right after I said "My girlfriend!" they said they could not give me a copy of UC.

Oh wow, that's REALLY rude from them.. it actually makes me mad thinking about it
Anyways, I looked up the difference between CD's & DVD's - the only thing different is that DVD's have more storage. With my knowledge, my advice is that you ask for a refund.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 5:51 PM
That sounds really strange. Are you sure you spoke to EA? If they genuinely said that then you should launch a complaint. They aren't allowed to discriminate over things like that.

I think you have two options. Yes your game won't run off a DVD when it's been installed via CD. So you could uninstall every expansion and reinstall.

Secondly you shouldn't need to play off the DD disc anyway. You should be able to play off the disc of your latest expansion. Try running the game from this disc (actually, do this first, since it's easiest).

Thirdly if none of those work or you don't want to reinstall everything, contact EA in writing (e.g. email) to explain your problem and ask nicely for an upgrade to UC since they no longer support TS2 disc versions. Then if they say anything offensive in the reply, you will have a copy which you can use to make a complaint.

ETA: And maybe be a little less hard on your stepdad. He did help you move after all. It was probably just an accident that he overlooked the disc.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 3:36 AM
yeah i'm going to reinstall in a moment or this weekend. I've seen some guides for doing it on indows 8 so it SHOULD be alright. Notice I said SHOULD. now the next question is is the DVD version useless when it's a simple reinstall from scratch on a different system? something tells me I should wait until I'm at my new apartment and no one is home to be offended because I have a bad feeling the "F" bomb is going to be dropping every two minutes while I'm trying to get everything re installed and working...(I'm at a hotel right now and to the left right and across from me are rooms with young kids in them. I don't think anyone involved would be too keen about suddenly hearing the F bomb several times in a row. and it never fails to happen, no matter how hard i try to censor myself , trust me. something in my "wiring" tells my ability to speak that "fudge" just won't do when whatever i'm doing fails to work out for the 500th time.)

As for EA I could be wrong. it was their "live chat" option. I had asked if they could get me a copy of UC told how I loved sims 2 blah blah blah and they said "We will get you a working copy of sims 2 that runs on windows 8" and since they never asked for an address AT ALL (you know like where I live so they could send it?) I assumed they meant UC. I said "thanks I love sims 2 and I miss it" and that's when they started mimicing what I was saying in question form . For example Me : I love sims 2. Them : You love sims 2 don't you? ect.

And when they asked me on their own who else I knew that loved Sims 2 and missed it I said "My girlfriend" (which is true she loved watching me play sims and make them act out stories we made up she even tried it once but got annoyed when my temperamental toddler sim wouldn't stop throwing a fit yet didn't seem to really NEED anything as all her bars were full. talk about terrible twos lol. ) and THAT is when they informed me that they wouldn't be giving me a copy of UC. so given the order of events (my answering a question by mentioning my girlfriend likes sims 2 and my name on EA being my name and them responding with the "News" I wouldn't be getting UC) one happened because of the other.

though it is likely as I was venting to another friend and fellow sims player and she mentioned that when she asked for UC and they asked her why she didn't get it while it was being offered she answered with the truthful fact that at the time of it's offering she was in the hospital because she has cancer. (it's not just kids that get leukemia appearantly ) and they refused to give her the copy of UC she missed out on and cheerfully informed her that "Next time we offer something you want don't be in the hospital!" so Yeah.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 6:40 AM Last edited by MileyTheSimmer : 21st Aug 2015 at 7:48 AM.
The UC is a digital copy on Origin. I'm going to make an account and see if I can get it, if I do get it then I'll update the comment.

Update: I didn't get a copy of it, I accidentally kissed someone else's ass on the other side..
I got a %15 discount from kissing his ass, he also kissed my ass so I can give him a good report.
Crap. *nothing to see here*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 7:44 AM
oh well.... it happens.... looks like i'm going to have to go without if this doesn't work...
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 7:48 AM
He said he could get you a copy if he knew the codes of the disks
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:23 AM
cool but I've never had UC so how would I know the codes for UC? I missed out on UC I didn't even know about it until someone else told me about it due because of the problem that started this topic. I had said what am I to do if I can't get sims 2 working on windows 8 ? and my friend said "See if you can get a copy of UC from EA" and when I asked I found it was limited edition ect ect.

So I guess you mean I am to go to EA games in person and buy it? Or some how learn to read their minds? Or guess?

I didn't even know UC was available like that doing research I thought it was something you downoaded from EA games?

guess not....
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:31 AM
If you have the codes from your old disks, you can tell them the codes and they could give you UC.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:41 AM
ohhhh! Yes! Yes! I am CERTAIN I have the old booklets SOMEWHERE ! and if not I am certain I noted the codes down somehow in case I lost the booklets or went out of town or something.

(I know that's not a good thing to do but it came in handy when I stayed with my aunt and uncle and three cousins once because I had the entire series (Including the christmas ones) and they only had pets the base game nightlife and two other stuff packs so he I showed up with my sims 2 games and got the OK from my aunt to install them that's all we did mostly. we didn't watch tv and we didn't drag out all the toys that were still in the storage area in the basement being saved for when my cousins grew up and had kids as we used to do . we just played sims 2. and I think my uncle and aunt didn't mind it as much as they said they did because you don't have to fight with anyone to get them to pick up when done playing sims 2 like you do with actual toys. )

So I will check that out! YAY! Sims 2! do you remember his name and yours? So if they try to deny it I can say "Well (name) told my friend (name) that this could be done with the old game codes"

Exctement! I KNEW I was redownloading everything for a reason! XD
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:54 AM Last edited by MileyTheSimmer : 21st Aug 2015 at 9:08 AM.
His name is Shubham, sounds like an indian name.. (and I sound racist )
I will try to ask him again and see

*MOMENT OF REALIZATION, I JUST MADE MY ACCOUNT NAME EMMA BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO NAME IT SO I CHOSE EMMA (Emma Watson) Make up a name and don't tell him your name's Emma so he doesn't think I'm faking*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:14 AM
i don't see what you're saying.

but I have found on a CD (burned) a folder called "game codes" and in it are the codes for all the games I have ever bought or downloaded and bought (like from gamehouse or big fish) SO YAY! I can see about this! XD
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:20 AM
Okay, go on Origin customer service and tell them you want the UC and you have all the codes for the base game and every expansion pack.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:33 AM
thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it soon I will be playing sims again!

it works with CC right? (just checking I found some really cute toddler clothes)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:34 AM
Yeah it does, but the CC process is a bit different.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 11:27 AM
Haven't read it all, but you made an account on Origin and went on live chat there and were asked this? I'm just wondering if you really had origin chat and not someone bogus because they don't ask things like that, they just want to see you have a real copy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Haven't read it all, but you made an account on Origin and went on live chat there and were asked this? I'm just wondering if you really had origin chat and not someone bogus because they don't ask things like that, they just want to see you have a real copy.

people seem to be confused on what I am saying. they did NOT come right out and use the words. I put two and two together because of how words were used in order. From me saying I love sims and asking for UC because I was worried it won't install from the CDs on 8 to them saying they would get me a "working copy of sims 2 that will work on windows 8" to me thanking them and saying again I love sims 2 and miss playing it to them asking me back if I love sims to me saying again yes I do to them asking me who else I know that likes sims 2 (I guess so they see if sims 2 is still popular?) to me saying my girlfriend to them saying they won't be giving me UC.

so I don't know. i guess it all depends on what they meant in the first place when they said they would get me "a working copy of sims 2 that will work on windows 8" I ASSUME that they meant UC so when they told me they "won't be giving me UC" AFTER I answered their question with "My girlfriend:" I ASSUMED that their final response was due to my answer since it came AFTER my answer to them and not before.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 8:09 PM
They shouldn't be asking questions like that at all. Ever. Just what they need to know to get you your copy. I think you were being trolled by people pretending to be service people.

If anyone asks you personal questions in a professional context like this, online or off, call them out on it and report it. Never be afraid to go up the food chain in a customer service context.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 9:48 PM
Try not using the chat forum. I always ask my question and then ask them to call me. As for UC, I love it. No worrying about disks; my account is on Origin so it's mine forever. There is a thread on here somehow about how to get them to give it to you even though their free offer has expired. I would read through that. It may just say what everyone here has been saying about the codes and since you have those, you are home free. However, I think the key is to actually TALK to them, not chat. You really don't know with whom you are speaking, and like Peni said, it was probably a troll.

Anyway, even if you have to pay, it would be worth it. You would have all the games and stuff packs, and you would never have to worry about reinstalling or losing or scratched disks ever again.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:31 PM
it was ea/oerigin live chat so I don't understand what you are trying to say to me.

how can ea/origin pretend to be ea/origin? can one really pretend to be what they already are?

and that's just how customer service is I thought? asking questions? or are cs agents all mind readers? if they are why must I interact with them at all they should KNOW without my saying anything I need UC?

I am REALLY confused by you guys.

I have delt with CS people before and they were all people . actual living breathing human beings. mot robots. So there was questions.

but really you are telling me that next time a cs agent asks a question I should report them for it? how does that even work?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 10:59 PM
It's also possible you simply had a bad employee, just keep trying live chat and asking for it. You will probably get someone different every time. Also yes you may want to report them.

No you have to be business like and not so ready to give out any personal information. Doesn't matter if it's EA chat or the phone company.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 9:33 AM
tried again and as per your advice above as soon as the rep asked me a question I asked to speak to a supervisor and tried to report them.

everyone involved was confused and I was accused of being "uncooperative" and "not wanting help"

so now I must ask why you all do not want me to have a copy of UC because clearly you told me to ask to speak to a higher up and report the rep if they again asked questions and when I did that it left me UC-less confused insulted and mislabeled.

I haven't noticed a how to get UC topic on here either....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Try not using the chat forum. I always ask my question and then ask them to call me. As for UC, I love it. No worrying about disks; my account is on Origin so it's mine forever. There is a thread on here somehow about how to get them to give it to you even though their free offer has expired. I would read through that. It may just say what everyone here has been saying about the codes and since you have those, you are home free. However, I think the key is to actually TALK to them, not chat. You really don't know with whom you are speaking, and like Peni said, it was probably a troll.

Anyway, even if you have to pay, it would be worth it. You would have all the games and stuff packs, and you would never have to worry about reinstalling or losing or scratched disks ever again.

I do not understand. you are contradicting yourself here. Don't chat but talk? aren't they the same? are you saying that if I bring up the EA or Origin website and just start talking out loud they will some how "hear" me?
Theorist
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 12:22 PM
smorbie1 is saying to talk to an EA rep over the phone, not using a chat function. This is quite clear from their post, especially the part where they say "I ask my question and then ask them to call me." You go into chat and say "I would like the UC -- please call me at 555-555-5555." To be clear, since I suspect that you are deliberately having trouble with reading comprehension, you would give the EA rep your actual phone number rather than all 5's.

Jo was not advocating reporting anyone who asked you any question at all, and that is quite clear from her posts as well. What she was advocating was that if a rep asks you a personal question, like "So, do you have a girlfriend?", you first say "I don't want to answer that" or "That's not relevant to The Sims 2/my phone bill/whatever the topic under discussion is" and redirect the conversation back to the business level. If the rep insists that they can't solve your problem unless you tell them whether or not you have a girlfriend, then you report them. A certain number of questions are necessary for smooth social interaction and for actually providing you the service you need. If the EA rep said "Hi, my name is Will. How are you doing today?" and you reported them, then you were very far wrong. If the rep said "Sure, I can help you with the UC. Can you give me the serial number off your Uni disk?" and you reported them, then you were very far wrong. Based on your posts, I suspect that something like this happened.

You haven't looked very hard for a "how to get the UC" topic, because there's one on the second page of the Sims 2 board: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=552872

I hope that this information actually helps.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 4:09 PM
Thank you, Esme, for clearing up all that. I, too, was getting frustrated with the OP. Anyway, OP, I hope you follow Esme's advice and solve your problem.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Locked thread | Locked by: plasticbox Reason: Solved
Page 1 of 2