Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#2126 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 6:16 PM
I love that bridge Voeille! Somehow it reminds me of the old "Willow Pattern" plates my grandmother had when I was little. I suppose it's a good example of what you can do with CFE. I must try some myself.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2127 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 6:21 PM
Bridges are a good thing to try with CFE as they’re easy and you won’t mess anything up Just remember to disable CFE after you’re done.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2128 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 7:09 PM
Very pretty bridge Voeille

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2129 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 7:18 PM
*joins Voeille at the cfe-fest*

Scholar
#2130 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 8:50 PM
Rollercoaster is an interesting idea I didn’t use CFE more than for the bridges there, I had a dummy level but I decided to change the roof and it wasn’t needed any more.

On what day exactly does the round end? I will be busy with uni things and I might not do much next week.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2131 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 8:52 PM Last edited by gazania : 11th Jun 2017 at 9:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
*joins Voeille at the cfe-fest*

Does that one work? I know there was a working one years ago (well, at least allegedly working ... I know several people, including me, couldn't get it to work), and there was a more recent one. Maybe trying to get a roller coaster to work leaves me too glassy-eyed.

I doubt with a fairly (self-imposed) limited CC list, I can get that elaborate, but what I could do as a sort of compromise would be to make a lot where if you don't use certain CC beyond the basics list, everything will work and look just fine, and if you do use the CC, it will, too. I could put that stuff in a special folder, pulling it out to see if everything looks and works Ok if I don't use the content. For instance, there is a Plumbbob Keep item I really, really want to use in this build. It's kind of a staple on my community lots, including motels at one point. In the past, there was a motel that was causing lots of Freeziness, and I pulled out the item while testing to see why Freezy was doing her usual freezing routine (turns out it was the PK item that was causing the problem), and all I got was some empty space. Everything worked fine, and there were no crashing or weird couches or statues. However, I still use this item in most of my community lots. I might do that re deciding whether I want to go CC-heavy or not ... use only items that if you take them out, you simply get a small blank space ... it would be a compromise between having a mini-novel of a CC list and having a pretty plain lot. It will be up to the downloader to decide which a downloader prefers, should I ever upload the lot in the future. (Actually, uploading any lot is iffy for me now. I realize I have far to go.)

Oh ... forgot a huge question, @joandsarah77 ... balconies, patios, slight overhangs, etc. on a second floor beyond a foundation .... OK or not? I have a sudden idea which will either work or fall flat on its face, and if it turns out I can't do overhangs over a foundation, it will be the latter, and back to Square One or Two. Not a big deal, since it's early in the round and I haven't even started yet, but I want to know before I get too involved. I don't want to finish a lot, only to be told I'll have to scrap it. Here would be some examples:

https://www.houzz.com/second-floor-balcony (second picture ... and either a porch, balcony or an entire part of a room)
https://www.houzz.com/photos/label/...oor-balcony/p/8 (a few pictures in)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#2132 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 9:30 PM
I’m fairly sure you can do that, in my round 3 entry the whole house is above the foundation

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2133 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 10:32 PM
gazania yes you can build a balcony. The only rule for this round is do not remove that foundation and do not add more foundation.

I'm not sure what day this last round will end, right now it's the judges time. My thought for this last round was 2-3 weeks depending on peoples speed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2134 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 10:41 PM
I know we can go all out, and I'm sure most will, so is that expected? Does it have to be grand? I can build bigger, taller, extravagant if needed, but right now I am compact, cozy and small town feel. I hate to be the only one who builds that way. Eeep! Right now I have low motivation, low inspiration and I just feel... off. I'll probably need all 8 days.
Mad Poster
#2135 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:06 PM
I have not even started building anything yet. Not thinking grand or extravagant, but @Voeille (lovely bridge, that) - I am going to make a bridge too Since I intend to start a new hood, I am thinking rustic and rural. That may only be because I've been to a wedding at a very nice rustic and rural venue and am slightly fermented, but at least I have (kind of) an idea now.
Mad Poster
#2136 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:07 PM Last edited by gazania : 12th Jun 2017 at 12:58 AM.
I'm torn between the two myself. On the one hand, I could go the grand route with no difficulty whatsoever. On the other, I do know that some people prefer a simpler lot. On the other other hand ... so many shinies! Even when I limit the scope for this lot, my CC folder is pretty plump already. That's why I decided to put in more CC than I planned, but ONLY that which is 100% optional, and won't cause any problems should I ever decide to remove it ... save for a short list which will be required. That means no crashing, statues, couches, or bare floors or walls. I will build the lot all-equipped, then run the lot without the optional folder to see what comes up. One of the pictures will be of the basic lot. To quote a song, "A compromise will surely help the situation". Both versions need to look decent. The basic lot will have many functions, but will indeed be plain. The decked-out lot ... egads. Needless to say, my decked-out lot will be the one I use in my game.

But now I'm peeved. I had a picture of my prototype, then lost it, then, after hours of looking, sent myself a link to the picture I'm trying to use for inspiration (hence the question about any building parts going over the foundation on a second floor). I was so, so pleased with myself and thought myself so clever. Problem is, the link never arrived to my e-mail, someone erased my browsing history, and I can't find this inspiration again . !@#$.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2137 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:26 PM
@Goldenbtrfly that is the judges time not yours, you have way longer than 8 days. I was just saying above, 2-3 weeks is what I am looking at. Also no please build whatever you feel like that was the whole purpose of this round, you are free to do what you like. The more advanced builders here will probabably do something large and fancy, please don't feel like you need to 'keep up' with them. A park or something simple is perfectly fine.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#2138 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:37 PM
I'm not going elaborate or fancy - just a simple and functional lot that all can enjoy - two buildings and outdoor space. It is quite a small lot though so my outdoor bit is more cosy than grand.
I don't have huge amounts of CC. I only download when there's something particular I want, or that fulfills a need at the time.
Top Secret Researcher
#2139 Old 11th Jun 2017 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Goldenbtrfly that is the judges time not yours, you have way longer than 8 days. I was just saying above, 2-3 weeks is what I am looking at. Also no please build whatever you feel like that was the whole purpose of this round, you are free to do what you like. The more advanced builders here will probabably do something large and fancy, please don't feel like you need to 'keep up' with them. A park or something simple is perfectly fine.

Thank you for that reassurance, Jo, I sure was freaking out. Yeah, sometimes I do feel like I need to try and keep up or compete (haha, well it IS a contest!), but the skill level gap is just too vast right now for me to worry about it. I'm just going to strap on those big girl pannies and go ahead with my vision, see how it turns out! I wanted to do CC-free just in case I try and upload it, but I managed to "need" 4 pieces of CC already. I hate lists that have long links of items I need, so I'd like to not include more than 6. We shall see! I should do what @gazania is doing and do two versions, one with CC and one without. Thanks for letting me ramble here guys. It always makes me feel a bit better when I get frustrated.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2140 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 12:05 AM
@gazania, I'm not sure yet. I haven't tested it. But it's Echo's coaster set, so in theory, it works I have gotten them to work before. We'll see.

@GoldenBtrfly, like Jo said, you build for you I personally have a bit of an obsession with boardwalks, lol, so that's what I'm building.
Top Secret Researcher
#2141 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 12:13 AM
For anyone who needs an idea, you could kill two birds with one stone by creating a performing arts centre or lot and upload as part of the new bi-monthly theme.
http://modthesims.info/t/595250.
I'm already a significant way through my (non-performing arts) lot since I don't have much time to spare this week.
Mad Poster
#2142 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 1:17 AM
Right now, I feel really sick (unfortunately, I seem to be severely allergic to my mother's house), so all I'm doing is gathering an initial list of CC and trying to find my inspiration picture that I now can't call up using the exact search terms I used last night. My lot, if I ever get this off the ground (at the rate I'm feeling, like the other rounds, I just hope to submit something!), will be based on one of two themes of real-life places my kids and I all enjoyed back in the day. It's trying to get the right structures and look that are driving me to distraction. I know what I want, but do I know how to get it? Also, I will have to pick one theme or the other. I do have a community lot I made that has both, with tons of stuff for my Sims to do, but it's the largest lot in my Packaged Lots folder, and has a ginormous amount of CC.

Scholar
#2143 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 1:23 AM
I’m building for my Oasis Valley, so it must fit there (hence it’ll share style and colour scheme with my round 2 entry, but it won’t be the same of course). Not so long ago I built a pavillion adjacent to the jungle area there, and the round 5 is also adjacent to the jungle (but on the opposite side) so I want to keep it consistent with respect to style. I hope I’ll still manage to keep the lot interesting and unique

And if we have two weeks it’ll be fine, I should be done with this semester in less than that (11 days).

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2144 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 1:51 AM
yavannatw, thanks for the shout out about the bi-monthy theme I was just coming to mention it. A banner should be going up site wide soon but right now not many people know about it. If you feel your lot would fit in the performing art theme feel free to upload and tag it as such and you will receive a cool sticker.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2145 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 2:43 AM
You probably caught that illness from the rest of us, gazania! I'm sure your mom's house would never hurt you...

As for fancy, that would look completely out of place in Crooked Beach! I'm striving to build something that you'd see on a barrier island, where the city budget's not that big and everybody expects a hurricane to come along every few years. What stands the test of time on the Gulf Coast gets weathered.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#2146 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 3:00 AM
... and I tend to build for suburbanites, so no matter how much CC I used, it will still probably look modest.

Every time I have done work at my mother's house, I get really sick afterwards, so I believe there is a correlation. The house probably wouldn't hurt me, but the excessive dust probably does. I don't mean a light film. There has been grime and dust everywhere. But it's over now, a whole lot cleaner, and ready for the new owner next month.

And I found my inspiration lot in the Spam folder!

Top Secret Researcher
#2147 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 3:44 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 12th Jun 2017 at 7:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by gazania

And I found my inspiration lot in the Spam folder!

Wonders what sort of spam you get? Nothing I ever receive in my spam folder (not that I look too often) would be remotely inspiring...

Edit: I'm glad there's no budget limit. Spent §228,000 so far. Already nearing completion but I'll wait about a week before finalising it - might change my mind about aspects of it.
Oh, I meant to ask. How many pics will be permitted this round, as there might be a lot to get all the details? (Not that I'm anywhere near taking pics yet.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2148 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 8:45 AM
Okay, it's been decided that the required shots + 16 extra will be allowed. I hope it's enough for you all, make sure each shot counts if you have a lot of angles and things you want to show.

~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2149 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 9:18 AM
Welp, looks like jones beat me to it. A roller coaster park was my only real idea. Well, that and a circus, but the lot is just so tiny! That's what I get for playing RimWorld all day instead of fulfilling my last wholesale order and packing up my apartment. I move this Saturday and I haven't even started packing - not to mention hiring movers. I'm failing hardcore at life atm. >.< It'll all come together in the end, right?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2150 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 9:20 AM
No reason you can't do a roller coaster park.

~Call me Jo~

Page 86 of 106