Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #4 - posted on 19th Feb 2018 at 4:46 PM
Replies: 80 (Who?), Viewed: 2473 times.
Page 4 of 4
Scholar
#76 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:22 PM
My objects.package files have always said "read-only" too, but on my old laptop I had one over-written anyway. Best to do it manually to make sure. (un-tick the box > apply > re-tick the box > apply again)

On the tower I'm using now, I have the Professional edition of Windows 7, so I set permissions on the security tab to deny all write access instead. Nobody touches this file!!!
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 1:12 AM
My old Windows 7 installation didn't set objects.packages to read only. It's a disk version of the game, installed to a non-Program Files location, and with UAC turned off for the duration of the installation and patching. Don't know if any of those things is a factor.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 2:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayars

Up your virtual memory to some ungodly number.

What sort of ungodly number? I think I need to change mine and I have absolutely no idea what to put. It asks for an initial size and a maximum size, currentlly at 16 MB minimum and 8192 MB currently allocated - although recommended is 1904.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 11:42 AM
Got my new PC and this thread was heaps of help

No issues with Windows 10 either, so that's nice
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#80 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 1:22 PM
I learnt something, the lighting mod I download had a double .txt.txt at the end but because windows 7 automatically hides endings I didn't see it and it stopped my game loading. had to rename that to remove the extra .txt. Not hard but wasted quite a bit of time hunting that down. I now have unhidden file endings and recommend that.

Fixed an error code 1 on skyrim but now see I also have an error code 5 on the blacksmithing tool. Only want a handful of mods but they need special files. Will look into that tomorrow.

Put on Coral Photoshop today so I can recolour some kitty ribbons for the theme.

Also for anyone who plays sims 3, Gina taught me to turn on Fraps when you load it and check the frame rate. Mine was a ridiculous 3,500 and that can cause your graphics card to burn out in a few months. So this has to be fixed as well. If I hadn't checked that I would have had no way of knowing. This only affects good cards and sims 3 mostly. Even DAI was only 200.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 1:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex
What sort of ungodly number? I think I need to change mine and I have absolutely no idea what to put. It asks for an initial size and a maximum size, currentlly at 16 MB minimum and 8192 MB currently allocated - although recommended is 1904.

It really depends on how much RAM you have, and whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

You definitely want the minimum to be at least the value that you see as currently allocated - that's the high water mark of how much of the page file the system has used at times. After that, make it at least the same size as the RAM you have in the machine (so if you have 8GB RAM, that would be 8 x 1024 = 8192), up to a maximum of about 3 x RAM (8 x 1024 x 3 = 24576). Though really, the more RAM you have, the less likely the system is to use it for anything other than a crash dump, so you may not need the huge page files that were necessary when we had 32-bit machines with 1 or 2GB RAM and had to resort to the page file as a disk overflow. On a PC with 8GB or more I'd generally go for a page file set to 1x to 1.5x RAM, and have played with it set as low as 800 (enough to take a kernel dump, but not much more). That's on a machine with 12GB of RAM, where the page file rarely gets touched.

Setting min and max to the same values is always good practice if you set the size yourself rather than letting Windows manage it. It grows the page file to full size immediately, so you don't get a performance hit from Windows suddenly deciding you need a little more and extending the file while you're in the middle of trying to do something/play the game.
Page 4 of 4