Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
5 people viewing

TheFlyingRaccoon, Rosebine, mdsb759, Quietscheente

There are also 0 guests viewing too.

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #4 - posted on 19th Feb 2018 at 4:46 PM
Replies: 5322 (Who?), Viewed: 189162 times.
Page 213 of 213
Mad Poster
#5301 Old Yesterday at 3:04 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : Yesterday at 3:57 AM. Reason: No space in HP's name!
Default Sims have a "known as" name?
I find I do best if I reboot every few days. My usual reason for rebooting is that my computer has got too slow to play The Sims 2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got a extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about. Have a look at these SimPE screenshots:

Now look at their names in-game:

I have never seen the names Teresa and Devi in-game, and I cannot find the names Tess and Denise anywhere in SimPE. It's maybe worth mentioning that I have HystericalParoxysm's version of Live.package. The Bluewater townies were the first sizable group of Sims to get their names from this source after I installed it. Although the SimPE developers appear not to know about this extra name, it does look as if HP must have known something about it. I understand she's on long-term sabbatical leave, rather than retired, so I hope she may come back one day an explain what she knows.

I presume this is the reason why I've seen it recommended that we use an in-game utility to change a Sim's first name rather than SimPE.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
#5302 Old Yesterday at 3:50 AM
Do you play the game in UK English? I have a hunch it might be related to that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5303 Old Yesterday at 3:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I play in U.S. English.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Instructor
#5304 Old Yesterday at 11:26 AM
according to our prev discussion, toddlers are included on the serve food count and that their serving turns into baby food as long as they are in the highchair.

voila! Bass with Squash ala mush =))
Screenshots

I gave up my dream to earn a living.
Instructor
#5305 Old Yesterday at 1:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got a extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about. Have a look at these SimPE screenshots:

It's known - all the subhood Sims (University, Downtown, Shopping, Vacation, etc.) have names in code but once they are generated, get randomly generated names.
Mad Poster
#5306 Old Yesterday at 3:57 PM
Your ala mush made me laugh

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)
Instructor
#5307 Old Yesterday at 4:20 PM
glad to be of service! but most of all thank you to everyone who was in the "how do i handle toddlers and highchairs properly" I have learned a lot xD

I gave up my dream to earn a living.
Top Secret Researcher
#5308 Old Yesterday at 9:37 PM
entered mentioned cheat in Live Mode; both versions. and had sim adopt a pet through phone; the pet could still act autonomously.

some discoveries from playing an AnyGame that had only Apartment Life::
-the keyboard shortcuts for diagonal and octagonal rooms work.
-Apartment life has some half-walls
#5309 Old Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Does petsfreewill work in an AnyGame with just Pets? Maybe it got broken in one of the later EPs.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#5310 Old Yesterday at 10:20 PM
am currently unable to test with just Pets; and another expansion. posted about it in Help section; thread title contains both expansion names.
#5311 Old Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Both Bon Voyage and Apartment Life use the pet system for Sims, I believe, meaning that the controlpets and cancelpetaction cheats will work on them. Bon Voyage for vacation guests and Apartment Life for roommates. So it's possible one of those two EPs broke it with the modifications needed to do that.

Test Subject
#5312 Old Today at 3:53 AM
I have a Sim who owns a pet store. Until now, I didn't know how having other families visit that pet store would work, so I figured out that it was simpler than I expected.

I also discovered that if your Sim purchases a pet from a store, it opens a pet CAS basically, so that's neat and unexpected. I figured I was just getting a randomized pet, but apparently not!
Mad Poster
#5313 Old Today at 4:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukk
I also discovered that if your Sim purchases a pet from a store, it opens a pet CAS basically, so that's neat and unexpected. I figured I was just getting a randomized pet, but apparently not!

Yes! Before I knew about this, I was carefully chosen what breed I would put up for sale...lol Just in case, that was what a sim would get. Now I know better and guess what?...I still go for the look. lol

Mad Poster
#5314 Old Today at 4:09 AM
It's only through adoption you get no chance to choose your pet for customization. The adoptive dogs and cats are it. No changing them, unfortunately.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Mad Poster
#5315 Old Today at 4:16 AM
Well, you have change pet's name appearance in the mirror.

Scholar
#5316 Old Today at 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got an extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about.
I have never seen the names Teresa and Devi in-game, and I cannot find the names Tess and Denise anywhere in SimPE.

This is normal for townies, dormies, downtownies, etc. All of them have names that are "only referenced in the game files" as Sims.Wikia puts it, although it does seem odd that only the hidden names show up in SimPE. The game randomizes the name that the sim actually uses in the neighborhood. Here's the article on Orion Teens as an example. There are LOTS of others on that site. I don't know why Maxis bothered giving them names if they're just going to get randomized ones anyway.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_Teens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSimsWiki
Orion's name is randomized when Downtown is generated. The name "Orion Teens" is only referenced in the game files.
Mad Poster
#5317 Old Today at 5:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by conversesneaker
It's known - all the subhood Sims (University, Downtown, Shopping, Vacation, etc.) have names in code but once they are generated, get randomly generated names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxEllen1965
This is normal for townies, dormies, downtownies, etc. All of them have names that are "only referenced in the game files" as Sims.Wikia puts it, although it does seem odd that only the hidden names show up in SimPE. The game randomizes the name that the sim actually uses in the neighborhood. Here's the article on Orion Teens as an example. There are LOTS of others on that site. I don't know why Maxis bothered giving them names if they're just going to get randomized ones anyway.
I know about that but this is different. In the game files for OFB Tess/Teresa Joyner is known as Breanna Custer, and Denise/Devi Taylor is known as Trina Dalton. (As RoxEllen mentioned, these Sims are also referred to by these original names in the Wikia Sims Wiki.)

Tess/Teresa Joyner and Denise/Devi Taylor are the randomly generated names they picked up, and, because I have installed HP's Modified NPC and Townie Names (Live.package), the game took names from HP's list rather than from the Maxis original. The odd thing is that the first names that appear in SimPE are different from the ones that appear in-game.

Since my first post I've had a closer look at HP's mod in SimPE. It consists of 4 Text Lists (STR#): Male first names, Female first names, Male last names and Female last names. (Some languages have different forms for male and female last names; e.g. "-ski" and "-ska" endings in some Slavonic languages.) At the moment I'm looking mainly at the Female first names. Looking up these names in HP's mod, I noticed a pattern:
128 (0x0080 hex) Denise (in-game)
129 (0x0081 hex) Devi (SimPE)

375 (0x0177 hex) Tess (in-game)
376 (0x0178 hex) Teresa (SimPE)
(The numbers are the instance numbers used by HP.)
Originally I thought these might be "known as" names (Teresa might well prefer to be called Tess) but now I think it just looks as if the game is assigning two adjacent names from the list. In each case the first name in the pair seems to be the one used in the game, and the second one is the one used in SimPE. This is born out by another Bluewater townie who's got her name through HP's mod, Sierra Tsvirkunov (to use her game files name) In my game she is Frankie/Freya Hollins:
154 (0x009A hex) Frankie (in-game)
155 (0x009B hex) Freya (SimPE)

I am pretty sure that Live.package is only accessed when generating the new name, so the game must be storing both names. But the game itself is retrieving one name, and SimPE is retrieving the other one. I reckon the names must be stored in one of two places: in the relevant neighbourhood package (e.g. N003_Neighborhood.package for Veronaville), or in the individual Sim's character file (e.g. N003_User00318.package for Tess/Teresa Joyner in my game). In my first post I said that I couldn't find the names "Tess" and "Denise" anywhere in SimPE. Well, I have to correct that. In Tess/Teresa's character file, the single Object Data (OBJD) record is called "N003_User00318 - Tess". Well it seems very unlikely that that's where game is getting the name "Tess" from, but there it is! Denise Taylor and Frankie Hollins have similar OBJD records, but in their Catalog Descriptions (CTSS) they are all Teresa, Devi and Freya respectively.

I have some other Sims affected, but I can't remember their names (especially hard to remember when they have more than one! I think though that most Sims with names generated using the mod have one and the same name both in game and in SimPE. However I'm going to have to do quite a bit of checking up to see. It was a nice idea to think that it might be a "known as" name, but it's beginning to look as if it might just be some sort of problem with HP's mod. If it is that, then it's liable to affect other Live.Package name mods as I think they're all (or most of them) based on the same understanding. HP links to some posts by jordi which I tried to read when I installed the mod a few years ago, but I found them hard to understand. Maybe I should have another look.

One thing does seem clear to me. the game clearly has more than one place where it can store a Sim's first name, and it's possible to store different names in different places. This I think would account for the recommended way to change a Sim's name that I've read more than once in these forums. To change the last name, you should use SimPE. But to change the first name, you should use an in-game utility (Insimenator, Sim Blender or Sim Manipulator) because SimPE doesn't change every instance of the name.

If anyone really understands what's going on here, I'd love to hear from them. I suspect the late, great Mootilda probably understood it!

Sorry this post is long and rambling. I'm still feeling my way to whatever's going on. I'll post again when I've found out more.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
staff: retired moderator
#5318 Old Today at 7:04 PM
Yes, I think it's an error with that particular Live!.Package mod.

This might explain why:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg218290
Theo suspected a language thing, maybe he was partially right? Or perhaps the CTSS resource picks up a different language to the OBJD?

(Incidentally, Mootilda thought it was fine to change a sim's name in SimPE:
https://modthesims.info/t/showpost....92&postcount=14 )
Mad Poster
#5319 Old Today at 7:24 PM
I was in SimPE today cleaning up memories for all the Merged citizens, and found out that Puck and Bottom Summerdream are actually adopted. Both Titania and Oberon have a memory of adopting each of them.
Funny how the moral constraints show up. Instead of having children the old fashioned way, Maxis decided that because they're not married, they had to adopt.

Mad Poster
#5320 Old Today at 7:29 PM
It's because they're fairies, Fran! Adopt, abduct, it's all the same thing, man.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5321 Old Today at 8:03 PM
And here I was, thinking they were characters from Shakepeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream".

Silly me..

Instructor
#5322 Old Today at 8:21 PM
I've always been under the impression that that Puck was meant to represent a mish-mash of the human boy Titania and Oberon fight over (it kind of explains the adoption) and Lysander in the original play. I don't (refuse to?) understand why they named Bottom as such though, and she seems more like an expy of the original Robin, especially since Kent technically starts out with the actual Bottom's role. That last part kind of sounds wrong...

My life is a series of incomprehensible sketches, illegible notes, and running away from angry reptiles. I don't enjoy that last one.
Top Secret Researcher
#5323 Old Today at 8:23 PM
about pet adoption; phone shows a number of pets to choose from.
the Pets Prima Guide confirms that the display case menu is like Create-A-Pet. though if someone outside the played household adopts from display case, the pet would be the one that was in the case.

awhile ago noticed a BCON in SimPE listing various "universal" households. some of the households relate to pets.
7ffa; strays
7ff9; "orphaned pets"
7ff8 & 7ff7; display case. 7ff8, available pets; 7ff7, pets in use.
Page 213 of 213