Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 3:18 PM Last edited by grinevilly : 1st Dec 2018 at 7:03 PM. Reason: Correcting an act of braindeadedness...
Default How Would You Fix: GENIES!??
So it's time for our next "How Would You Fix" installment, (actually, we're a little overdue... US holidays...). SO the next in line in the Sims 2 Supernaturals is, how would you fix Genies? The Genie was added to The Sims 2 in the Free Time Expansion Pack.

This is an odd one, because for the first time, the new lifestate is NON-playable. Is that something you'd fix? Should they have been made playable? Should we have had baby genies and genies off in college? Would they live forever? Should we have been able to create homes inside bottles or lamps for them to live in? Were there items or objects that should've become available with them or for them?

Remember, this is not a request thread... it's merely a discussion thread, to share ideas. But if any adventurous creator would like to take hold of any of the ideas and run with them, please: FEEL FREE!!

So let your best, your worst, your craziest, your most impossible ideas fly! Tell us what you think would've made BigFoot Genies [thanks Charity] more enjoyable. Be sure to "Like" your favorite ideas, and as always, please continue your contributions to the previous "How Would You Fix:" discussions for Zombies, Vampires, Servos, Werewolves, Plantsims and BigFoot!

And thanks to all for playing along!!

-grinEvilly
>=)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
So let your best, your worst, your craziest, your most impossible ideas fly! Tell us what you think would've made BigFoot more enjoyable.

I think that was meant to be Genies. XD

I'm not bothered personally by the genie not being playable. I would have preferred a greater variety of available wishes though.
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 4:07 PM
It definitely needs a wider range of wishes. I would have liked some child-specific wishes, too; maybe something along the lines of:

- Wish for perfect grades (could also be available to uni students): if successful, grade goes to A+; if unsuccessful, grade goes to F, with consequent social worker or expulsion. For a teen, it would be the difference between getting the Scholar's Grant and not getting into university at all.
- Wish for no more homework: if successful, no homework for three school days; if unsuccessful, four lots of homework immediately drop onto the lot.
- Wish for a puppy or kitten: if successful,the desired pet is delivered; if unsuccessful, several strays appear on the lot as if invited and start wrecking the furniture and chasing the child.

I also really wish they'd made proper rules for earning a genie lamp, and given only the intended Sim the memory of finding one. It's pretty silly that a lamp is delivered when nobody in the household has any hobby skills, that a baby gets the memory, or that a lamp is dropped off for an unplayable dormie or apartment neighbour, and any playable can use it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 5:50 PM
I am okay with the genie - my sims normally goes for the money and I regard it as them having won the lottery
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 7:11 PM
Thank you, Charity. I was going back to the bigfoot page to copy the URLs for the other posts to link back, and I got to reading the thread and thinking about the thread and... when I came back to finish up with Genies, i had bigfoot on the brain. Embarrassing. =\

There ARE a few other hacked genie wishes... Apparently, some that were from EAxis, but never completed have been dug out and completed by other modders. One was a wish to be young again. I believe there's a version here on MTS that ages your sim down to a child. Got me thinking, which of my sims, if any, would want to live their life over again. Perhaps that'd make an interesting parallel thread someday...

We could probably go on for days and days about other wishes... I think that'd make for an awesome discussion!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 7:54 PM
Quote:
Wish for a puppy or kitten: if successful,the desired pet is delivered; if unsuccessful, several strays appear on the lot as if invited and start wrecking the furniture and chasing the child.

It'd be cool if there was a wish for 'a little brother or sister' and then the baby would just drop out of the sky by the stork, like we were told it does when we were little...but it could get really ugly if there was a wish for 'a new mom, dad, or boy/girlfriend, husband/wife', though...

However, you can't have everything. The genie himself is ok. Properly done one, too.

BTW, Black Spirit made the lamp itself available without being dispensed by the Gypsy: here.

I don't use it often but I figure that it'll be handy for the poor pixel who has had a rough life. 3 wishes will do them good.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 7:56 PM
Let the genie become playable like Bigfoot and have access to more wishes.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 8:54 PM
Two old posts from the 'hacks and CC you'd like to see' thread:

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Couple more genie wishes I thought of while half-asleep:

- Wish for Fertility: Adds the twin token to the Sim so they are more likely to have twins. Probably stacks with the FreeTime benefit too.
- Wish for Success: The next time the Sim goes to work, they will be promoted, even if they're below the skill/friend level needed.

Unsure of the bad version of the fertility wish, but a failed success wish could demote the Sim.

Another one.
Wish for Knowledge: Either all skills increase 2-3 or one skill is maxed out. The bad version of this is that the skills might decrease.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 11:53 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 2nd Dec 2018 at 12:08 AM.
Sims1 had a genie; 2 wishes to choose from at a time; total of 10 wishes; seemingly no limit for any wish.

Sims2; shipped version one is an improvement on the number of wishes to choose from.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Genie
Alchemist
#10 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 4:58 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 2nd Dec 2018 at 5:15 AM.
I cloned my Genie and he's now my favorite Sim, Gene Vadoma. As for the game Genie, I give him extra wish mods, but, honestly, since I have my own Genie now, I never use him anymore, so, yeah, I guess, I'd prefer him playable. I also made his skin a real violet skintone and violet eyes, instead of green, so mine is way handsomer, as in my avatar. I think the game Genie just has purple makeup and cartoony green eyes. In my game, there are also other sims now who also have violet skin and eyes, and, for some, red hair, so it's like there's a clan of them, the Vadoma Clan, (They replaced some aliens, which I don't care for), so I guess I'd rather there were other sims of his kind. Mine are itinerants who practice some magic and who, along with the cloned "Savory" Charlatan, mostly make their living scamming the "settled" sims.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 10:09 AM
Unsure of the bad version of the fertility wish, but a failed success wish could demote the Sim.

A bad version of the fertility wish could give the sim an 'infertile' token, perhaps. Sad, but...well, people go through with that every day.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 1:00 PM
I agree. Genies could use (I mean 'have') some more selection of wishes for granting.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 1:27 PM
Wish for NOT having twins?
Alchemist
#14 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Wish for NOT having twins?
various hacks can change twin pregnancy to "single" pregnancy. insimenator, Sim Manipulator, Sim Blender; Pescado's Debugger.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 7:58 PM
Playable genies might be cool, but I think they would wind up to be too similar to witches.
Although it might be a fun idea to give them their own unique aspiration, where Aspiration Points are earned by finding people who match some criteria and asking them to do a wish. Criteria could be a high hobby level, maxed out Influence, or actually being really poor or miserable; it should be diverse and not be too specific otherwise you won't find such sims for your Genie. They can still have secondary aspirations. Genies would have a special skill where they can check someone's aspirations and age and such so they can predict what people want to wish (to fulfill their own wishes). I would put in more mundane and silly wishes to prevent everyone in the neighbourhood becoming overpowered, like a Pleasure Sport Hobby sim wishing for some money to buy a sports uniform, or a Popularity Music and Dance sim wishing for a DJ booth or more succes at throwing parties. Or temporary boosts in energy, intelligence, fitness... Or maybe genies can grant those wishes to everyone, but only certain kinds of sim can wish for the big stuff, like a longer life.
Honestly, I would like a lamp you can buy where you get more wishes that are just silly or mundane like that. The 'good' lamp should be earned of course.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
various hacks can change twin pregnancy to "single" pregnancy. insimenator, Sim Manipulator, Sim Blender; Pescado's Debugger.

I know - I prefer to wait and see if my sims have twins (again) or not
Alchemist
#17 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 9:03 PM
about unique aspiration; not entirely sure, but the shipped version aspirations might be the only ones Sims2 could have. though maybe some chance of replacing an aspiration.

about a buy-able genie lamp; some chance that someone already made one.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 9:19 PM
Nah, Nightlife added Pleasure and Grilled Cheese.
Would it be a pain to make the new aspiration backwards compatible? Yes. Would it be realistic for EA to add a new aspiration since they already had so much work with all the stuff and interactions in the Freetime EP? No. But it would be possible.
Also, I wasn't talking about buying the lamp we got in Freetime, I was talking about a 'lesser' lamp you could buy that could only fulfill small wishes, like the examples I gave.
Alchemist
#19 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 9:33 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 7th Dec 2018 at 10:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
Nah, Nightlife added Pleasure and Grilled Cheese.
Would it be a pain to make the new aspiration backwards compatible? Yes. Would it be realistic for EA to add a new aspiration since they already had so much work with all the stuff and interactions in the Freetime EP? No. But it would be possible.
these threads I take to be about stuff that could be done by modders/hackers; not by EA/Maxis.
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
Also, I wasn't talking about buying the lamp we got in Freetime
I was not either.

edit:: about parties; success or not seems to be more the player than the sim. the wish could probably give a score boost to sim's next party.