Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#1926 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:31 AM
Pleased to hear of the extension, I just got back from holiday!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1927 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:58 AM
Once scores are ready I will check the clock and make sure it gets changed to at least 5 days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1928 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 10:01 AM
How do I get my pictures down to 12? I have 9 already just of bathrooms O_O

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#1929 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 10:23 AM
Wendy Walters (the servo) has taken up photography (via a drone). Walter and Wendy are admiring her latest composition ...

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1930 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 11:45 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 5th Jun 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Round 3 Judging Scores and Comments

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1931 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 12:23 PM
Don't you hate it when you get all of your text and pictures just right and then accidentally close your browser?!

Mad Poster
#1932 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 1:46 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 4th Jun 2017 at 2:19 PM.
Default Round 4 Playalong: The Lamberts
Attempt two. Ahem.

I've taken a slight liberty with the name. It seems that my "Lambert" family weren't very clear when giving their surname to the contest transcriber, and it was misspelled. They are actually the Lamrabets, from Morocco. Parents Aryn and Yasmine grew up there and met in their youth before moving abroad for Aryn's scientific career. Yasmine was always taken with this charismatic young man with a fierce intelligence but kindness in his eyes too. She had always wanted a large family, and she feels like she hit the jackpot, with the perfect companion to raise them with. They decided to wait until they were financially stable to have children but because of Aryn's prowess in his field, they've been lucky to manage even more than that and afford this spacious home. It's just that there are now so many of them, spacious is relative, and they have definitely filled this home to bursting with love and colour.

This cosy, welcoming home costs $79,977

I have bonus pics of the family but I'll wait to post them I guess

Top Secret Researcher
#1933 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 2:30 PM
Thanks judges! I figured there was a chance I would get dinged on the full bath and exterior, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out a way to change it. If I had just posted a WIP picture, that may have saved me, as you all surely would have caught that! I rearranged the bathroom and got it all in this time, and changed the outside of the house. Does this look better? (I know the round is over, but it will bug me if I don't ask!)
Screenshots
Scholar
#1934 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 2:49 PM
Thanks judges for the comments I have something to say though – for all I remember the recliners are usable at angle (but I’m not 100% sure as I haven’t used one in a long time, I didn’t test it in that lot because I thought it’s fine), can someone confirm/deny that for sure? And I did fulfil the requirements – Jo said that a stereo and a TV are fine as workout items, and I have those + a stationary bike. As for the railings – where should I put them? I did put them on the balconies, but didn’t n that area where the flowers are as those were supposed to work as a ‘fence’ – I’d assume no-one would want to step on flowers And the kitchen sink – that’s actually a preference, I like to have a quick access to the sink when I’m cooking so I put it close for my sims too.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Field Researcher
#1935 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 3:11 PM
I don't think recliners work at an angle. I tried with the Rodney's pool chairs and they wouldn't sit in them.
Mad Poster
#1936 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 3:15 PM
Thank you, Judges! Increased my score with a full point Appreciating the comment about the landscaping!

We will have a party at the fermented fruit juice bar!

GETTING THE JUDGES PLASTERED!!!! (Don't they deserve it, after all this judging?)
Shooters!
Contestants elated with their scores - take a shot with the judges
Contestants happy with their scores - take a shot with the judges
Contestants unhappy with their scores - take a shot with the judges
Jo- take a shot with the judges, please
Everybody else who wants to, with or without reason - take a shot with the judges (you may even take a non-alcoholic one, but the judges can't
Screenshots
Instructor
#1937 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
can someone confirm/deny that for sure?

Can't be used

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Scholar
#1938 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 3:24 PM
OK I checked in an unmodded game and indeed the recliner isn’t usable, so I shouldn’t get that point back, it’s my fault for assuming it was fine and not checking it, but well, it happens But the stereo does work as an object for increasing body skill, so I should get the point for requirements back

But I want to thank you for the comments about landscaping as it’s a very important part of a lot for me If I ever host a contest (I’m thinking about doing that in summer but I’m unsure), landscaping will have it’s significant part in the score

Edit: thank you enebya and William for checking the recliners too

Simblr
Mad Poster
#1939 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 4:21 PM
Recliners are fiddly - if you have them in just the right spot, they ARE usable on an angle. I don't have an example picture, but I know I've fiddled with them and got them to work before. They have to be kinda out in the middle of everything, and you may have to have the sim approach it from a different angle before they can use it.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1940 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:05 PM
Well, my treehouse balcony and the girls' room are hits and I finally got my CC bonus, so I'm happy. Everything else is just matters of taste and if even the judges don't agree on the color scheme and the groovy door I'm not going to worry about it. If the bathroom hadn't had the second door there would've been traffic pile-ups in there and I didn't see any reason to make a circuit of the house to potty train the toddler after taking him out of the high chair; when playability and aesthetics clash, aesthetics go to smash. IMHO wall-to-wall carpeting should be wall-to-wall; if the space doesn't have a different use I don't want to change the floor treatment. And that's what makes horse races, as they say.

Thanks to the judges for their consideration and enjoy your shots. I'll just have a ginger ale, please.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#1941 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:24 PM Last edited by gazania : 4th Jun 2017 at 5:56 PM.
Thank you for the comments. I winced at the one about the grill. I previously had the grill you see here, changed it over to the cheap picnic grill because of the original budget after I read about the railings (in my neck of the woods, those grills are on the ground), and then, relieved, changed it back because I managed to squeeze enough money to get the old one again, but forgot to put it back. Oops. I should have stuck with the picnic grill!

I'm a little puzzled about the wants in the last score. I had a choice of going with a dark shelf, which I didn't think would go as well, or the lighter shelf with the red toy. Just because you don't like a color doesn't mean you won't have it in your house at all. I don't like coffee brown, but have items with that color in my house. Some are gifts; some remind me of a time or person. Would I do my house in coffee brown? Absolutely not. But I wouldn't rush to donate the item if it was a picture of a favorite place that happened to have coffee-brown buildings in it, or it was a heartfelt gift from a beloved friend or relative. Context is important. Size is as well. If someone gave me a huge floor to ground coffee-colored mural and it looked hideous, I admit a trip to Goodwill might be considered after a few years. But a small item ... not as much.

In the case of the picture in the adult's room, that color had a lot of red-orange to me, rather than lots of pink. That could be my eyeballs, though. I'm having some technical difficulty with them.

I'm very confused about that last want score, though. I respectfully disagree with that. I had flowers up the ying-yang, and while there was only one day of butterflies that year when I was looking for them, they were there. There was a shed with room to work on a bike ... whatever your definition of bike happened to be. The dancing room was narrow, and I could see a small deduction there, but both my Sims were constantly dancing in there ... sometimes with each other. Those two were dancing in the kitchen and in the yard. There was plenty of room for dancing. Plenty of room for visitors, too. Ballet is not the only form of dancing. I loved to dance as a child, but loathed ballet.

There were no routing problems while fulfilling those wants. So what wants were lacking?

I suppose I should be grateful that with the way my life is going on now (I started this post in one city, and finished it hundreds of miles away in another!), I should be thankful I can do these lots at all and not get a 30.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#1942 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:25 PM
@CatherineTCJD so that explains why I thought it was fine I must’ve got the right spot at some point and then I assumed it always works when it’s diagonal. Do you happen to know if it’s the same with easels? I tested it once I think and it didn’t work, but maybe it’s possible to get the right placement like with a recliner.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#1943 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:39 PM
@Charmful
@CatherineTCJD
@Karen Lorraine
I do have 2 bedrooms. One upstairs for the Sim couple, and one right in front of the..front door, on the ground floor. It is hard to miss...there are 2 cat beds, cat toys, cat scratchers etc..in there. Is it because I used an arch instead of a door that no one saw it ? Or because there is a staircaise in there, going to the second floor?
Whatever it was, it is as you wish anyway. Pets don't need that much privacy.
Editing again, and yes Charmful, it is a fake chemney..unless you saw a fireplace? So I guess my windows are fine where they are.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#1944 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:50 PM
I asked Jo about the two bedrooms for the Newmans on page 53 and she said they need two bedrooms with beds for human sims, not for pets.
Link Ninja
#1945 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:51 PM
Yes, exactly the two reasons you listed: stairs and archway are what keep it from being a bedroom. I saw it as a common room used to travel through the house and to the second floor.

Also here is the quote from Jo about bedroom for the Newman's from page 53

Quote:
@enebya Which family are you asking about? The Newman's need two bedrooms-rooms with beds in them for human sims, 1 for themselves and 1 as a guest room. Animal dedicated rooms are extra to that.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#1946 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 5:54 PM
Thank you Enebya. Too bad you had to ask huh..and that it was not on the family description itself.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#1947 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

The Newman’s
Are a couple with no children, just lots of fur babies.
Requirements: At least 2 bedrooms with all the needed items for two cats, two dogs, fish, bird and a wormrat. The dogs may have a kennel each outside; the other animals need a place inside. There can be a dedicated animal room/s.
Wants: A fenced in yard with something special for the pampered pets.
Random Object: Bone Rug by Bonafide Luxury. http://sims2-objectdefaults.dreamwidth.org/438151.html (You will need the Pet’s EP for this choice)

I guess it does say 2 bedrooms, but it kinda sounds like one is just for pets. That is one of the reasons I chose my Elliotts over the Newmans last round, I just couldn't fit an extra bedroom in there. I don't like building spare bedrooms for the sims anyway, they usually don't have visitors that'd need a bed. Most real houses I know also only have a spare bedroom after the kids moved out, otherwise maybe a couch in the living room or office that can serve as a bed.
Top Secret Researcher
#1948 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
I got messed up from the front page description too for the Newman house and was mistaken as well, haha! That's why I ended up with two versions... a one bedroom one, and a two bedroom after it was clarified. Luckily for me there was a big second story balcony that was just begging to be enclosed. That reminds me, I should make the changes to the one bedroom one that I just did to the other!
Mad Poster
#1949 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 6:06 PM
Out of curiosity, I showed the pink/red-orange picture on my tablet to some people. The verdict is mixed. Some feel it's a deep reddish pink (or a pinkish red); some fully agree it's red -orange. It might be the color resolution on my tablet, though, or I picked a bunch of wonky-eyeballed people. I dunno. (We all are on the mature side!) But it's nice to know it's not entirely my vision situation.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#1950 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
...Do you happen to know if it’s the same with easels?
I don't know from experience, but I have heard that easels just plain don't work on a diagonal

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I do have 2 bedrooms. ...So I guess my windows are fine where they are.
I did not see 2 human bedrooms. I questioned the window placement - but did not deduct points because of them. The windows are fine.

All ya'll - please remember - judging IS subjective. It can't NOT be... None of us judges have degrees from accredited schools on how to judge a sims 2 contest. We each do it a little differently. I'm not a fan of a certain color - another of us doesn't like the 'sun' lamp. That is the nature of a sims contest. We can agree to disagree; but, lets all agree to have FUN K?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths

Page 78 of 106