Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 3:25 PM
Default WCIF: Pet food bowl fix
I can't believe that it took me so long to ask if anyone had a fix for this, because it's been driving me nuts for ages. The stupid pet food bowl bug, where it suddenly for no reason becomes unusable by the pet. I know to make sure it's facing in the right direction and I know that finicky pets won't eat from a dirty bowl, but I have a pigpen cat who is eating flowers to stave off starvation because her bowl is unusable.

Has anyone made a fix for this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:58 AM
Noone huh? I may have to start feeding my pets sim food lol.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:42 AM
Did you try buying a new bowl? I haven't had tha bug.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:48 AM
New bowls work for the first few feedings then they bork as well.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:40 PM
Borked pet bowl
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
New bowls work for the first few feedings then they bork as well.

I experience the same thing every now and again. I can't seem to find out what's causing it...when it happens I usually have to give up my pet I'd like to know if you find out anything. I thought about trying to move my sim fam and pet to a new lot, but it's a lot of packing and then unpacking :-/
Instructor
#6 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:45 PM
If you teach your pet a trick, does that fix it? Just curious, because I get this bug too, but I've noticed it only happens to my untrained pets.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:22 PM
Whenever I've had this problem, it's always been that either the bowl was facing the wrong way or that the pet needed to be trained to eat pet food. That said, I've seen enough people say that this happens to them to believe that it happens. I suspect that it hasn't been "fixed" because no one's been able to repeat the error long enough or consistently enough to determine what causes it.

That said, I have a similar problem, only not with with pet bowls. No, I have a problem with the rabbit-head toddler toy. Eventually, it'll get to a point where it can't be interacted with. As in, I, the player, can't even click on it. All I have to do to fix it is buy a new toy, but I can't figure out what's causing it. At first, I thought it might be happening because I was storing the toddler toys in someone's inventory when there were no toddlers in the house. I know beds can go weird if put into inventory. So I did a bit of experimenting and didn't put the toy in anyone's inventory. Still went unplayable, and I'm mystified. It only started recently, and I hadn't added any mods or other CC at the time that it started. It's not too bothersome to me, but I wonder if it might be related to this pet bowl phenomenon...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:07 PM
I've never had that with pet bowls or the rabbit toy, but I do have it with beds. I cannot take a sims bed to a new house or the sims stand still and move around slightly like they want to do something but it cancels itself out. They also can't interact with each other properly if I click on them. I just have to sell the bed and buy a new one so often I stopped placing beds in inventory if they move house.
I guess it's hard to fix something if not everyone can reproduce the problem.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#9 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
That said, I have a similar problem, only not with with pet bowls. No, I have a problem with the rabbit-head toddler toy. Eventually, it'll get to a point where it can't be interacted with. As in, I, the player, can't even click on it. All I have to do to fix it is buy a new toy, but I can't figure out what's causing it. At first, I thought it might be happening because I was storing the toddler toys in someone's inventory when there were no toddlers in the house. I know beds can go weird if put into inventory. So I did a bit of experimenting and didn't put the toy in anyone's inventory. Still went unplayable, and I'm mystified. It only started recently, and I hadn't added any mods or other CC at the time that it started. It's not too bothersome to me, but I wonder if it might be related to this pet bowl phenomenon...
I have the same issue with the rabbit head toy. It randomly goes unclickable and is only fixed by buying a new one. Which is mildly annoying since, unless i have multiple toddlers, it tends to be the only toddler skill building toy in the house. Since logic and creativity can be gained while having fun as older sims and charisma cannot.

On topic though, I have experienced the pet bowl issue a time or two. I notice it with the notice that Fido is starving, and I've been able to fix it by buying a new dish. I haven't noticed the new dish getting borked as of yet. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:43 AM
The really weird thing is that toddlers never seem to get the problem. They can always eat pet food. I know it isn't caused by toddlers using the bowl though as it happens in toddler free houses too.

I might try the teach pet a trick idea. It doesn't seem related lol, but the bug already makes no sense. XD
Theorist
#11 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Whenever I've had this problem, it's always been that either the bowl was facing the wrong way or that the pet needed to be trained to eat pet food. That said, I've seen enough people say that this happens to them to believe that it happens. I suspect that it hasn't been "fixed" because no one's been able to repeat the error long enough or consistently enough to determine what causes it.

You can see the head turn before the toddler gets to it, if you cancel his action, the head is stuck. The first time I saw it move that way, it creeped me out until I figured out why it moved.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:03 PM
I always use the autopetfood pet bowl, converted from pet stories. It never glitches and lasts much longer. The Simblender also has an option to clean and fill all pet bowls. Maybe that will unstick them?

If you are okay with the rabbit head not moving on its own, Pescado's norabbitspin should help with it getting stuck. This is from the manual:
Quote:
norabbitspin.package

Do you hate the way the rabbit toy spins whenever you cancel the order to use it, usually causing it to spin to an inaccessible facing? Is it just creepy? This hack makes the damn rabbit STAY facing the way you put it, unless actually blocked, not merely because you cancelled it! Nyah!

Here is the AL version: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:10 PM
I hardly ever use the rabbit head as I find it's sound annoying. I much prefer a nice silent puzzle or wooden animal toy for charisma. Somewhere there at Sim2me http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/Bienc...n/m_set12_e.htm

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#14 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abel1980
I always use the autopetfood pet bowl, converted from pet stories. It never glitches and lasts much longer. The Simblender also has an option to clean and fill all pet bowls. Maybe that will unstick them?

If you are okay with the rabbit head not moving on its own, Pescado's norabbitspin should help with it getting stuck. This is from the manual:
Actually, I think the SimBlender does help. I've been using it in the one house in my Test of Time Challenge that actually has dogs, and their bowls haven't been stuck in ages, even though I know Atilla nearly starved to death at least twice before I started doing so.

As to the norabbitspin, it doesn't stop the toy from becoming unclickable. Most of Pescado's directors cut is always in my downloads folder, and I know norabbitspin is in there. Although I wonder if the unclickable-ness comes from canceling the toddler playing with the rabbit? I doesn't always happen, but mine usually glitches if the Baby Controller has a parent rip the toddler away from the rabbit to potty train him/her ~VP

Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 5:13 AM
Aaroneous recently posted a finicky Pet fix http://simmanipulator.forumotion.co...finicky-pet-fix but I'm not sure if the fix would help with your pigpen animals.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 10:13 AM
Might work for them. I'll give it a go, thanks.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 11:21 AM
Beds corrupt when placed in inventory, especially double beds - singles are sometimes fine. When the bed corrupts it causes jump bugs with all sims even when they are not trying to use the bed - most annoying. It's supposed to be large footprint items which do this, it's just a bug in the game. I've only noticed it being such a problem with beds, though, but I suppose six is an unusually large number of tiles for an object. I usually delete them and buy new when they move in, the reasoning being they wanted new bedding to match the walls of the new room anyway :P

There is a rabbit head toy fix, at MATY I think.

I haven't noticed a bug with the pet bowl but sometimes they don't eat from it autonomously. If you teach them the command "come here" then you can call a pet to eat though which usually fixes it.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#18 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:10 AM
I've been playing around with pet bowls, and they seem to glitch out when a) placed on the same tile as something else (in my case a column that was placed via moveobjects and snapobjectstogrid false) or b) when a toddler eats out of the bowl and c) randomly. I locked my petbowls away from the toddlers of the house by using a hack that lets you lock sims but not pets out of an area, but they still randomly stop working on occasion. But I imagine that could be due to the toddlers wanting to get at the dishes and failing. I'll admit that I haven't been paying close attention to the toddlers to know for sure (hence the reason the toddlers want the pet food.) But maybe this can help someone try to solve the mystery and possibly create a fix? ~VP

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:17 AM
Hmm, I do often have toddlers and pets sharing bowls (unintentionally *cough*, I don't try to feed my toddlers on pet food XD). Might be useful, thanks.
Inventor
#20 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:27 AM
So... I played in SimPE and cloned the pet bowls, then removed the ability for toddlers to use them, and in my limited testing, they haven't glitched out yet. Even in the one household where they were glitching out constantly. If anyone wants the files, I'll be glad to share. ~VP