Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2012 at 9:48 AM
Default Creating Custom Magazine - HELP!!!!!
Hello Clever People!

I am rubbish at the 'technical stuff', so am asking for your help.

I have created a fictional Sim magazine, and would love my Sims to read it, instead of the usual delivery.

How do I do this?

I have SimPe, and often change character details, and I also recolour paintings for my own Sim houses (thanks to a brilliantly simple tutorial on MTS!)- so I basically know what SimPE looks like! But that's about it!!!

As I am not sure about what this mod would be classified as, I have no idea where to start looking

Does anyone have the faintest idea of A) what I am trying to do, and B) where to find the information to do it??

Any suggestions would be welcome. You are all SOOOOOOO clever!

Many thanks

babygoboom
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Oct 2012 at 1:27 AM
Hi babygoboom

It sounds like you want to make a "default replacement." What that means is that as long as your mod is installed, the game will use your magazine texture rather the its original magazine texture. (If your mod is removed, the game reverts back to the original.) You can only have one default replacement of something at a time.

Navigating through the wiki, I found this Default Replacement Texture Video Tutorial by joninmobile.

It sounds like you want to replace one of the hobby magazines from Free Time. You do not need to edit the game's files, but you will need to find the necessary resources.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Oct 2012 at 9:57 AM
Wow, MSD, you have absolutely 'nailed' the exact thing that I want to do!

THANK YOU

Once I read it, I thought - "Yes, it IS the default replacement that I need, rather than an object recolour-type-thing (non-tech speak!)"

OK, I have watched the Tutorial - eeek! - so, now I just gotta try it out for myself.

My hubby is away for a few days, and I WAS going to do some ironing etc... but have changed my mind. Will do THIS instead. I'll keep you posted!

As the great Captain Scott once said..."I may be gone for sometime...."........

Many thanks again.
I knew my MTS family would know what to do....!
x
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Oct 2012 at 11:15 AM
Default I'm back!
OK, I have watched the tutorial - a lot!

I have followed the instructions - as much as possible

So where is my default replacement?

I tried to alter the default hobby-entertainment-magazine.... but I can't get anyone to subscribe to it, or buy it!

I'll try again with another magazine that I KNOW my sims subscribes to.... and I'll be back!

Ah... this is the problem when you create a whole world of your own...

MSD, you are wonderful.