Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 11:46 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 13th Dec 2019 at 12:33 AM.
Default Unimesh 2 - Editing and UV Mapping (Question & Answer Thread)
Tutorial Link:

This thread is for:

Discussion of problems, issues, and errors related to that tutorial, and that tutorial only. If you are having any meshing problems, issues, errors, or questions that do not directly relate to that tutorial then please post in the main Body Shop Meshing Forum instead!

Please also make sure to check the part at the end, "Having trouble?" before posting here - most common mistakes and errors are listed there.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 1:31 AM Last edited by LucidBagel : 22nd Sep 2008 at 5:28 AM. Reason: Addition of information
Default Messed-Up Texturing
Hello. I'm here with a problem with the turorial. Pretty much, I followed the tutorial as exactly as possible (which was very exact) and this is what happened:
Yes, I did change the texture to the vine-one and it also ended up like this.

So...I have no clue what went wrong. My only alternative is to restart the process from the beginning of the Milkshape part, and if that doesn't work, then to just restart it entirely. And I really don't want to do that, so could I get some help?

EDIT: I tried again, and it seems to only happen when I try to edit the alpha file (body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp). Other than that, it works fine. Does this make sense to anyone?
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 3:45 AM
In part 6 number 15 the picture shows that the inside of the dress is black but no matter where or how I place my camera, I can only see through to the other side. So I can't really see where I need to connect the points. Do you know how to fix this?
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 5:57 AM
How do I unzip the Blue Grid files becuase when I try to put them into milkshape it says I need an admin. permission.
Test Subject
#5 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 5:21 AM
Everything went great for this project but when I load the item in Body Shop and the game I can see little squares in the skin portion of the Sim. It looks like the little squares from the UV mapping tool. What can I do to remove them?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 1:47 PM
jwbauer1963 - Sounds like you saved that part along with your texture for some reason. Don't do that... it's just a guide, not something to keep with the texture.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucidBagel
EDIT: I tried again, and it seems to only happen when I try to edit the alpha file (body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp). Other than that, it works fine. Does this make sense to anyone?

Did you remember to resize the screen copy of the UV map to 1024X1024. I noticed that the alpha file did not match up correctly when I did this the first time because the original image was only 890x890 and the alpha image was too big.
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
jwbauer1963 - Sounds like you saved that part along with your texture for some reason. Don't do that... it's just a guide, not something to keep with the texture.

I figured out what I did wrong. Thanks for the reply
Test Subject
#9 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 5:13 AM
Default Problem with the Texture Coordinate Editor
Well there are 2 problems in the Texture Coordinate Editor

First: I can't see the body parts, I only see the texture (little blue squares)
And Second: When I do Fit Selection, it doesn't zoom out...

Whats the problem? Is it because I have a not registered Milkshape version?

Thx for your help
Test Subject
#10 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:38 PM
Well actualle, i found what was wrong :P

But i have another problem...I'm doing another mesh and still in the Texture Coordinate Editor, I have to select averything if i want to see a difference in the 3D image...weird
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Dec 2008 at 3:56 PM
lovepics - That's normal. You have to select the mesh before going into the Texture Coordinate editor to see it show up in there. It mentions that in Part 7, Step 5.

Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Dec 2008 at 5:40 AM Last edited by mj_killah : 25th Dec 2008 at 5:52 AM.
Default Thank you so much
i'm a beginnner, well i think i just hit intermediate because this tutorial was easy and put together perfectly, especially for someone like me.

and you were right. sometimes taking a break from the computer, eat a snack, watch tv, play with your little cousins, or just chill and clear your mind.

i did everything on the first try, which i'm not gonna brag, because i might mess up when i try to do something else.

anyway i just wanted to say thank you and love all your tutorials, they help out a lot if you read them thoroughly and not try to go so fast.

well i'm about to get off, because the 'A Christmas Story" marathon is on and i already missed 4 hours and 41 minutes of it.
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 10:04 PM Last edited by Yrah : 23rd Feb 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: -wow, that was full of mistakes..-
Okay, so since the Frankenstein-tutorial links to this topic too, I'll post my question here..
I get lost after Part 6 of the third tutorial, it seems like the tutorial was only half-finished..? I don't know if that's the case, I think so though, since the second tutorial doesn't link to the third, but I'm not sure if that's it, or if I'm doing something completely wrong?
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Feb 2009 at 4:54 AM
Same problem as Yrah here! I was looking the Frankenstein tut but in the half it becomes the second tutorial =P. I found tiggerypum's tut here (wich is great!) but I really would like to know what happened with the Frankenstein one...

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:47 AM
I'm having a problem during part 6. It's step 17 where you merge the vertex data points. One leg went fine. The points from the LEG jumped to the points at the bottom of the skirt. When I go to do the next leg, the points from the SKIRT jump over to the leg. I have tried alt select/shift-alt selecting in different orders with no go. I don't know what else I can do.
I'll poke around and see if I can figure it out before I get too frustrated...
Test Subject
#16 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 8:47 PM
Default UVmap problem
after this tutorial i started experiementing but now i got something, and i don't know what to do with it.

in someway i have created a large gap that i can't fill D:
it looks like This....

i hope you know the answer because this is really bugging me. already thanx!!
Forum Resident
#17 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 5:01 PM
I just followed the second tutorial and I have the same problem as the tutorial before with the adult dress.
The dress doesn't show any changes. This is when I check the dress in the last part. So I tried some things again, but it still doesn't work.

I don't know what I did wrong, or what I forgot.
I'm sure I clicked 'commit' after changing the name, putting the new meshfile into the downloads folder etc.

Can someone please help me?

Creator and owner of SimsShine
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsShine
I just followed the second tutorial and I have the same problem as the tutorial before with the adult dress.
The dress doesn't show any changes.

Make sure you have the mesh linked to the recolour. I've had the same problem with my changes not showing up, and that's usually what the problem is: I've just forgotten that step.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 10:11 PM Last edited by SimsShine : 3rd Aug 2009 at 7:21 PM.
Ok, will try it again tomorrow.
But do I have to start at the beginning? Or do I have to do that step (and the following ones) again with my files that I have now?

Edit: I tried again but it still doesn't show up.. I did the last 3 parts again, after you have to change the mesh.
I still don't know what I'm doing wrong . I'm 99% sure that I did everything correctly...

Is there a way that I can solve this problem by doing some parts again, but still have the edited mesh? So I don't have to do the mesh again??

Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsShine
Ok, will try it again tomorrow.
But do I have to start at the beginning? Or do I have to do that step (and the following ones) again with my files that I have now?

Edit: I tried again but it still doesn't show up.. I did the last 3 parts again, after you have to change the mesh.
I still don't know what I'm doing wrong . I'm 99% sure that I did everything correctly...

Is there a way that I can solve this problem by doing some parts again, but still have the edited mesh? So I don't have to do the mesh again??

Without knowing exactly what the problem is, it's hard to say. But I would guess that it's still a problem with the recolour package. And if that's the case, you don't need to do anything to the mesh file that you made in MilkShape (as long as you have the right number of groups, the correct comments, etc.); you can still use that in the final steps.

If I were you, I'd try starting from scratch. Make a recolour package in Body Shop, make your new mesh package in SimPE, link the recolour and the mesh packages, and replace the GMDC (with the file you made in MilkShape) in your mesh package. If that doesn't make your changes show up... well, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

Keep trying, though. Meshing isn't easy. I didn't think I'd ever get the hang of it!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7

If I were you, I'd try starting from scratch. Make a recolour package in Body Shop, make your new mesh package in SimPE, link the recolour and the mesh packages, and replace the GMDC (with the file you made in MilkShape) in your mesh package. If that doesn't make your changes show up... well, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

Keep trying, though. Meshing isn't easy. I didn't think I'd ever get the hang of it!

So that means I have to start over again? Or... No, wait.. I don't understand..
I'll try to find out tomorrow, too late now. If it doesn't work I'll start all over again

Thank you

Test Subject
#22 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 2:14 PM
I have a problem on ''Part 5 - Extract the 3D Model'' I extract and do all the steps it is told but when I open Milkshape the TutorialDressTwo Files its show nothing no extracted files. Did I do something wrong missed something?
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 2:24 AM
I am also having the problem with the unimesh 3 tutorial. As was mentioned, it seems as the first half of the tutorial it does start off teaching you how to "Frankenstein" as far as extracting the meshes for the dress and the mesh with the shoes you want to use. However once it gets to the "Editing in Milkshape" section it seems to follow Unimesh 2's tutorial to the letter even going as far as sending people to the unimesh 2 forums. Soo.... I'm stuck.
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NagisaChan
I have a problem on ''Part 5 - Extract the 3D Model'' I extract and do all the steps it is told but when I open Milkshape the TutorialDressTwo Files its show nothing no extracted files. Did I do something wrong missed something?

Firstly, are you sure you extracted the right file? (GMDC) sometimes they can look alike, and secondly, when opening in milkshape, did you use the Open command or Import?
Test Subject
#25 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 8:06 PM
I got to this thread through the Unimesh 3 - Frankensteining tutorial and this thread is for Unimesh 2.
I'm a bit confused.

The Unimesh 2 & 3 are basically the exact same thing and 3 never dealt with the TeenShoes_GMDC file after it was extracted.

Is there a tutorial that explained how to Frankenstein meshes somewhere else or was the Unimesh 3 accidentally spliced with Unimesh 2?

Please help.
Page 1 of 3