Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 20 of 23
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#476 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 10:10 PM
Is anyone else having trouble?Whenever I open the lighting.txt in the season's for this mod it just says #
Please help.Anyway great mod
Test Subject
#477 Old 30th Jan 2013 at 8:55 PM
how do you install for mac i cant see the instructions :/
Test Subject
#478 Old 30th Jan 2013 at 10:44 PM
userstartup cheat i dont have one. help!!!!!!!
Quote: Originally posted by skygirl22
First of all, a HUGE THANK YOU! to dDefinder for this mod!
I have some great news for Mac OS X users in this post!

Now, I play sims 2 on the mac, and like many users find most mod things like this are not useable for mac and saw no instructions how to install on mac.
But I decided to check out the rest of the post anyways and suddenly had an idea! I tried my idea... and it WORKED. To my amazement, I have this mod installed for sims 2 on the mac!!

Now I will post the instructions and some screenshots of my experience.
Before I go on though, please please please only do this is you 110% understand the instructions. This is for ADVANCED USERS ONLY. Incase you're still not listening *YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK*. I will tell you what to backup so please make sure you do!

My specs are as follows, and are for Mac OS X 10.4.11
VGA: ATI Radeon X1600
Processor: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Expansions: Uni, NL, OFB, Seasons
Please make sure your graphics card can support pixel shader 2.0!
Lighting and Shadows set to high

IMPORTANT NOTES:
I kept boolprop useshaders false in userstartup.cheat, since it was set that way at default. Have not tested it with them on, so once again, at your own risk. Though I doubt it would harm to try it, your screen just might go black.

Also, it is annoying but your computer will prompted when overwriting files for your admin password while performing the instructions. You will need to know what your computer's admin password is.

Do NOT (repeat NOT!) Try to overwrite the folders directly by dragging tsdata onto your previous tsdata . Unlike windows, mac will not just overwrite files with the same name, but the ENTIRE folder (deleting any files within). Doing so may remove an entire expansion pack! This is very avoidable though if you follow the instructions clearly (more on this later).

I don't have any stuff packs, but I think they will appear in macintosh hd/the sims 2/stuff packs OR the expansion packs folder, and will have the same procedure as far as I know. (maybe someone can say something about this?)

I assume you've installed your game to the main hard drive.

Worried yet? Really, this is not so hard but I would like to be thorough.

Instructions to install for Mac OS X (finally!)
1. Backing up:
The following files/folders need/must to be backed up to a separate copy.
(If you are overly paranoid, you can backup your entire sims 2 folder in your Hard Drive and Documents Folder to a DVD which you may have done regularly) ::

[PHP]
Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Config/userStartup.Cheat
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/Res/Lights
[/PHP]

Must do that for every expansion pack you have! example:
you have nightlife it would be located at:
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/Nightlife/Res/Lights

2. Now that you have backed up going to edit the userStartup.Cheat manually.
navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Config/userStartup.Cheat
cntrl click > open with > other > find textedit in applications folder
copy paste into the top of the text file:
[php]
#### GUNMOD ####
ignoreErrors true
boolProp UseShaders false
boolProp specHighlights true
boolProp vs2LoopsFunctional true
floatProp geomBoneInfluenceThreshold 0.01
floatProp geomGeneratedTangentSpaceNormalLineLength 0.1
floatProp geomMorphTargetDeltaThreshold 0.001
floatProp geomPerBoneBoundBlendWeightThreshold 0.9
intProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceNormalLines 1
intProp geomMaxBoneInfluencesPerVertex 4
intProp geomMaxMorphTargetDeltasPerVertex 4
boolProp skipTangentsInVertexData false
##boolProp liveCameraConstraints false
boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels true
boolProp floorAndWallNormalMapping true
boolProp geomCheckGeomDataIntegrity false
boolProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceSxT true
boolProp gpuCompositing true
boolProp bumpMapping true
uintProp lightRadianceRangeCutoff 999999
###
[/php]
Save and Close.

3. Here is the hard part!
First navigate to
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights

Then open the extracted /The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights folder for RLS 2.3 on your desktop.
Copy the files within and replace them with the files in the previous folder.
Do NOT try to drag drop the extracted The Sims 2 folder into your Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/ It will UNINSTALL your game. You may be prompted for admin password.

Repeat this process for the expansion packs but navigate to:
Macintosh HD/The Sims 2/Expansion Packs/EXPANSIONNAME/Res/Lights

You will have to navigate to each single res/lights folder for each expansion pack you own, and replace the files within with the RLS files. (and probably prompted for password every-time) Please try to keep track of it! Luckily I only had four expansions . Whatever you do, do not get lazy and drag drop the folders! You can/will UNINSTALL your expansions if you do that! I can't be held responsible for negligence .

4. Cross your fingers, go in game and behold how amazing :lovestruc

Final notes:
My experience has been wonderful so far, otherwise I wouldn't even bother to post all of this hard work. I know not many people use mac so maybe not even many will try this, because it was some work but really it's harder sounding then it was (but totally worth it!) It does get rather dark at night (when i first started up it was totally dark at night!) and I had to use many more lights then before, but the realism and "Radiance" is so beautiful I'm not sure how I played before without Thank you once again.
i dont have a userstart up cheat help!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#479 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 11:13 PM
wow thanks!
Lab Assistant
#480 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 4:53 AM
i am having the proplem with on the first floor of buildings the lighting is ok but when i go to te scond floor all objects on that floor are dark untill i go into buy mode and click on each object and place them back i have to do this every time i change floors! please please help
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#481 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 9:45 AM
shellExcuteEx failed 1155 No application is associated with the specific file for this opearation.could someone tell me what this mean.thx
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#482 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 12:11 AM
Can you do an update for 2013
Test Subject
#483 Old 12th May 2013 at 6:15 PM
I wish to understand but english isn't my native language and it is quite difficult to understand everything what about video? ^^
Instructor
THANKS POST
#484 Old 17th May 2013 at 2:25 AM Last edited by thesammy58 : 30th Jul 2013 at 2:59 PM.
This is really amazing... My favorite is the 6 PM lighting. It's really beautiful.
Lab Assistant
#485 Old 22nd May 2013 at 4:31 AM
Default SP3 is Happy Holiday Stuff and SP5 is H&M Fashion Stuff.
The lighting system in this mod looks very nice, but you should fix the folder with the H&M Fashion Stuff lighting files in it. You called it SP4 (which is what Celebration! Stuff is) instead of SP5 (which is what it needs to be.) Can you fix this? Also, will anything ever be done for SP3 (which is Happy Holiday Stuff?)

Laugh not, for World War 3 is starting to become very real, and the heroes in the television shows will not appear to stop it. Be wise and prepare now.
Lab Assistant
#486 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 8:20 PM
FOR MAC USERS
1. See here for how to make a userStartup.cheat: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...erstartup.cheat
(All these years and I never knew there was such a thing!)

2. Skygirl22 isn't exactly succinct, but his method is sound.

It works okay for me running EPs 1-4 on Mountain Lion. Overall, the effect is far less bright than I'm used to, which means I had to add more lights to my lots, especially the nightclubs and cat houses, but the light quality is nice. Nicely done Gunmod!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#487 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 10:51 PM
Absolutely insane! Thank you so much!
Instructor
#488 Old 30th Jul 2013 at 3:55 PM
Is there any way to make the Dawn and Dusk lighting times longer? Maybe 5-8 for dawn and 18-21 for dusk?
Theorist
#489 Old 31st Jul 2013 at 3:13 PM Last edited by DJ. : 31st Jul 2013 at 3:30 PM.
I am currently testing out RLS compatibility with The Sims Castaway Stories. I'll report back... fingers crossed!

ETA: Unfortunately, I got a red flashing neighborhood and a pitch black lot with default neighborhood surroundings. Very odd. Sims were only a little bit lighter than the environment, even though they've been standing next to a lamp (which casted little to no light). There was also no difference between day and night.

I will research further about the red flashing, because I've seen Gunmod mentioning it in his readme file.
Test Subject
#490 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 11:08 PM
Did anyone have a bug with shadows under the sims, which look like big black squares? They disappear when i turn the shadows quality from high to medium, but this way sims don't have shadows at all. Is there any way to solve the problem?
Test Subject
#491 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 7:00 AM
Had the same shadow problem when I switched to the new nvidia 327.23 drivers. Rolled back to 320.49 and the black squares were gone.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#492 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 4:57 PM
Well thank you) may be the future drivers will work better...
Instructor
#493 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 11:35 AM
There appears to be an issue with the new NVIDIA drivers. The shadows underneath sims are a solid black rectangle now.
Test Subject
#494 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Motorcitydude
There appears to be an issue with the new NVIDIA drivers. The shadows underneath sims are a solid black rectangle now.

yeah, we discussed it earlier as you can see)
Instructor
#495 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clonned
yeah, we discussed it earlier as you can see

Oops, my bad. :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#496 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 4:48 AM
Would a AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series video card with 2.7 GB of video RAM and pixel shader version 5.0 be a bad idea with this?
Test Subject
#497 Old 16th Jan 2014 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
I love that mod a lot, but I don't really like my wall decor turn into dark when I down them that's the little bad point I noticed.(I've all Eps)

Same problem here :/
Instructor
#498 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clonned
Did anyone have a bug with shadows under the sims, which look like big black squares? They disappear when i turn the shadows quality from high to medium, but this way sims don't have shadows at all. Is there any way to solve the problem?

I have the same problem. I wonder if anybody is working on a fix for it.
THANKS POST
#499 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 1:56 AM
Thank you ><
THANKS POST
#500 Old 18th Mar 2014 at 10:42 AM
Thank you for your great invention.
Page 20 of 23