Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 23
Test Subject
#126 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 9:31 PM
Just wanted to say this mod rocks!! I was really worried I'd screw up the manual installation as stuff like that normally happens to me, but after following it diligently... it worked! Woot woot! :D
Test Subject
#127 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 12:47 AM Last edited by T_K_18 : 13th Sep 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Change post type
Does this work with the Happy Holiday Stuff Pack?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#128 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 8:30 AM
The Holiday packs are not real expansions nor Stuff Packs, they don't alter the game functions and therefore they are compatible with all the mods, including the Radiance.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#129 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 7:10 AM Last edited by dDefinder : 14th Sep 2008 at 7:17 AM. Reason: spellers wrong
@supermega123
Most likely as this doesn't not happen anywhere else but on that lot.

@timoram26
This also appears with the default lighting. Do to it being very bright, at lest based on my testing. It will still dim but not much to be noticeable mod's shadows are darker though bring the problem more into focus.

It occurs in certain room but I'm not sure why.

It could also be related to the ceiling and wall lights losing their light effects on objects but was unnoticeable before. The wardrobes are placed in a closed room Maxis shadows very bright, so again it was not noticeable before.

I was able to fix the neighborhood view. Some lines for neighborhood were missing from Seasons EP. and up.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
Test Subject
#130 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 3:18 AM
Yep D, I was using the first update for AL you did.

I've noticed a couple more issues, I don't have screenies this time sorry But the only gothic looking windows that came with AL don't let light into the rooms. I've filled walls full of them and it's still dark.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#131 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 7:52 AM
Mine works. Did you replace your apartment Life lights with the one in this mod? Other wise it will do that.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#132 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 10:24 AM
Another update... Thank you dDefinder for keeping this mod up-to-date! I'm going to include the new version in the Scriptorium

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#133 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 3:27 PM
I was wondering. I installed this automatically with Scriptorium and I also extracted the RLS-Shader or sth like that from the zip. What's the deal about the userstartup cheat? Do I have to extract it too? Or I don't need to? I don't have a userstartup cheat in C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config ...

some call it art, i call it bull****.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#134 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Numenor : 18th Sep 2008 at 3:52 PM.
The userStartup.cheat is not included in the Scriptorium, either; most of those settings are already included in the default game set-up, and are replicated in the userStartup.cheat to be sure that they weren't changed by previous or different mods.

Moreover, I can't instruct the Scriptorium to install the userstartup.cheat, because it would replace the custom one that many players have tailored to their own needs.
However, I'm in the process of updating the Scriptorium, and I might find a solution to append the settings suggested by dDefinder to the existing userStartup.cheat (and remove those lineswhen unistalling the Radiance).

Thanks for pointing out

@ dDefinder - I appreciate your adding the lines
"#### GUNMOD RLS 2.3 beta ####" and
#### END ####
at the beginning and end of your code; it makes easier for me to inject/remove the code when the user already has a userStartup.cheat of its own. Please, never change those lines in the future releases (you can add or remove any number of lines in between, as long the first and last line are those two).

EDIT to add:
@ dDefinder - Since GunMod's v 2.2, many users reported the game to bee "too dark", only because they forgot to set the lighting level to max.
I'm going to add these lines in the Scriptorium version of the userStartup.cheat:
Code:
uintProp optionLightingQuality 3             #These two lines set the lighting option and
uintProp LightingQuality 3                   #the lighting level to MAX (as required)

This will automatically set the option and the lighting level to max, even if the user always used a lower value.
Oddily enough, for reasons that no human being (except the Maxoids) can comprehend, the modified option becomes effective only the second time the game is run; but better late than never
This should prevent some users to wrongly report here an excessive darkness; I suggest you to add those lines in the next update of the Radiance.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#135 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 4:25 PM
18 SEPT 2008 - Scriptorium v. 2.1a released.
  • UPDATE: The Radiance 2.3 (by dDefender) contained in this installer has been updated to v. 2.3 beta 1.6a.
  • IMPROVEMENT: When the Radiance 2.3 is selected, the installer now automatically adds the needed lines to the userStartup.cheat. Please note that the userStartup.cheat is NOT overwritten, but only updated: all the custom cheats and command previously added by the user are perfectly retained.

Test Subject
#136 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 10:57 PM
Many thanks dDefiner for your very hard work, your incredible patience in answering people's questions, also to Numenor for your help
You guys are awesome!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#137 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 12:50 PM Last edited by Numenor : 22nd Sep 2008 at 2:01 PM.
@dDefinder - The "Backup Maxis Lighting" archive contains the file:
Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\Lights\EP1Lights.nlo
that is actually the (empy) Radiance one, not the original Maxis one.
Please replace it with the one extracted from the original University disc (or just use this one if you are lazy ).

EDIT: to all the Scriptorium users - The Scriptorium has been updated to version 2.1b, so to fix this bug. Now, uninstalling the Scriptorium or anyway when choosing the "Original Maxis Lighting", the correct file is restored in your game installation.
For your information, the bug (now fixed) prevented the University windows and objects from casting light, when the "Original Maxis Lighting" was selected.
I advise to reinstall the Scriptorium with the same options as before, so to update the game files.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#138 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 12:42 PM
@Numenor
Awesome! I'll keep that in mind.

Very helpful, I've added the lines to this version. I've also changed and updated the backup files.

Lab Assistant
#139 Old 27th Sep 2008 at 12:43 AM Last edited by harry_tristan_harding : 27th Sep 2008 at 1:15 AM.
This may have been answered before but after downloading the file, I extracted it to my desk top then moved and put everything for that file into Scriptorium Custom Lights then started my game to see if I installed it correctly but I found that it wasn't working at all. What did I do wrong?

I have Numenor's (Dizzy2) Global Hack Smarter-Lights Pets and Kabuto Morning and Evening mod. I now that Numenor's (Dizzy2) Global Hack Smarter-Lights Pets is fine to use with the hack/mod but will the other one cause problems?

I have the up to date Scriptorium so I don't think it an out of date Scriptorium that's the problem. I don't mean to bother anyone with my questions but I've used this mod before where it worked the first few time, once or twice after installing it then the rooms would become black even with windows in the room and it being daytime. I took it out last time but I really miss this mod and I really do like how it work when it was working right.

Now Taking Requests for House's and Paintings! Downloads also at simbology.com
Instructor
#140 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 8:23 AM
This is amazing, can't wait to try it out! Thank you so much!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#141 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 11:33 AM Last edited by Numenor : 28th Sep 2008 at 11:40 AM.
harry_tristan_harding - If you use the Scriptorium, then you DON'T need to manually copy files into any folder: the Scriptorium does everything automatically!
Please delete all the files you have manually copied into the folder "Scriptorium_CustomLights", and then run again the Scriptorium installer, selecting the optin "Radiance 2.3".

Please note that the "Scriptorium_CustomLights" folder is NOT intended to be used with general lighting mods (such as the Radiance), but only to install custom light definitions related to specific custom lamps. Some modders, like Kabuto, use that folder to install small general lighting mods, but it's an exception.

As for the other mods you mention, my "Smarter Lights" is definitely compatible with the Radiance (it's actually tailored on it ); but Kabuto's mod is not really compatible, and you don't need it: the Radiance itself provides its own morning and dawns. However, to be more precise, Kabuto's mod will override the Radiance settings, and therefore the Morning and dawns will be Kabuto's ones, not the Radiance ones. I strongly suggest to see if you like the morning/dawn light without Kabuto's mod (probably you will notice very little differences, if any); but if you really want Kabuto's mod, than install it, but keep in mind that dDefinder can't provide full assistance in case of problems, if you don't use a "pure" Radiance installation.

Lab Assistant
#142 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 1:45 AM
Thanks Numenor, I didn't know that about Scriptorium and that neat little option. I took out Kabuto's mod because as you said it really not compatible and not really need as Radiance already has that in it.

Now Taking Requests for House's and Paintings! Downloads also at simbology.com
Lab Assistant
#143 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 10:30 PM
Hi dDefinder, I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up or not (I did do a little searching and found nothing of the topic) but I'm having some problems with the lighting. What's happening (to every closet) is that when it's daytime, the closet get's as dark as it would be at night and everything else looks normal. They look dark in sunset and dawn too. I'm confused what's making this happen. I re-installed maxis lighting through the scriptorium just to see if that problem still consisted and it didn't. It matched the daylight normally. Have you experienced this problem and also, do you know what it could be?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#144 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 12:35 AM
The reason for that is the maxis lighting is very bright compare to RLS, like in closed rooms where that object is usually placed. I've used a custom closet before AL and that object uses 4 squares, two for inside the closed room and two outside; the object was able to receive correct lighting from outside the room. While the Maxis closet only has two inside the closed room where it will not receive outside room light.

The default lighting masks a lot of those problems such as sometimes wall and ceiling lights not lighting objects when moving from one floor up, or the new AL wall hanging feature where lowing it will make it become dark.

Some screenshots of problem.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#145 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 9:54 AM
supermega123, I always thought of this as a feature, more than a bug: after all, in real life, the window-less closets are very dark...
If the closet is a small room, where sims can enter, then you could put a ceiling spot in it, and use the SmarteLights mod: the mod turns on the light when the sims enter the closet even during daytime, if there are no windows at all.
If the closet is a place where sims can't enter, then the best solution, imho, is to place a ceiling spot and leave it always on (this solution doesn't require the SmarterLights mod).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#146 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 12:25 PM Last edited by dDefinder : 10th Oct 2008 at 12:31 PM.
UPDATE!!

2.3 Beta 1.7 OCT-10
-Changed Witch craft object light color
-Increased window diffusion
-Increased light diffusion and decreased practical falloff range
-increased dawn and dusk ambient lighting.
-Tweaked Outside lighting
-Tweaked Vending Machines
-Fixed Gearhead windows improper portal lighting.
-Fixed 2 Maxis typos of doorCountryinterior and another that caused the Bohemian windows to cast improper lighting
-Fixed Apartment door and "The Wooden Curve" (Seasons) casting light as a window

Notice: If you have a version below 1.6a you need to update the userstartup.cheat. (Check "How to update" in readme). If you were using 1.6a you do not need to update the usercheat.

Outdoor tweaks which I worked on more this time around. Window and light diffusion increase, could be a bad or good thing; I did decrease the fallout practical range for lights to reduce the washout feel on white objects.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#147 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 1:50 PM
Good job! A little more light is definitely appreciated -

I'm going to download the new files and update the Scriptorium.

Field Researcher
#148 Old 14th Oct 2008 at 11:59 PM
sorry, but i'm completely confused. i'd like to use the automatic install with scriptorium. however there are 10 folders and several loose files included in the download. i have no idea which file/s to put in the scriptorium.

you link to the scriptorium for installation instructions, but the scriptorium thread doesn't say specifically which files to install. do i need to install the files from each ep folder??? maybe i'm just missing it because there's so much information on both threads i'm getting dizzy.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#149 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 12:15 AM
The Scriptorium is an installer: you run it, choose the option "Radiance 2.3" and it does everything by itself, you don't have to copy manually anything.

Field Researcher
#150 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 1:08 AM
OH! COOL! i didn't realize it was THAT simple. thanks again, numenor. :D
Page 6 of 23