Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1726 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:36 PM
So, depression is in the game now? That's a little heavy, especiallh with the whole "life is pain" response.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#1727 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
That just seems like so much work, and how does it really impact gameplay? Like, sure, it's supposed to build better relationships, but your Sim probably still won't care when their parent dies unless they're on the same lot.
No, the sims when growing up will have different behaviors/personalities depending on the values and interactions with parents. I bet if you just ignore and play a little with it it won't make any bad thing. Prob devs will put some aspiration reward that cancel some trait your adult sims got.

Plus is a way to involve Grandmas/Grandpas too. Since they might have higher skills from raising previous kids and can train you in parenting or help taking care of kids. You can assign them as the caregivers so you don't have to hover over the kids growing up.

I think will be a game changer, even thought I usually don't play legacy.

Also siblings can have rivalry and hate each other lol.
Instructor
#1728 Old 24th May 2017 at 1:15 AM
It's not even out yet, and I have already started preparing families for the game pack with a fresh save, and plans to play them all differently. I've changed my aging settings, have been arranging pregnancies, changing my mc command settings. It is safe to say that this game pack will be a game changer for me personally, because I was avoiding family play beforehand, focusing on leveling vampires and playing with clubs. I truly hope adoptions are possible because not all my teens I have created have parents. I imagine it might be like assigning caregiving for toddlers, but I cannot be sure. The hard part will be not having unlockable traits for pre existing adults, but I guess I could cheat and reverse age sims that I want to have it. I really want bad manners for my self sim.
Forum Resident
#1729 Old 24th May 2017 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlineFrrr
No, the sims when growing up will have different behaviors/personalities depending on the values and interactions with parents. I bet if you just ignore and play a little with it it won't make any bad thing. Prob devs will put some aspiration reward that cancel some trait your adult sims got.

Plus is a way to involve Grandmas/Grandpas too. Since they might have higher skills from raising previous kids and can train you in parenting or help taking care of kids. You can assign them as the caregivers so you don't have to hover over the kids growing up.

I think will be a game changer, even thought I usually don't play legacy.

Also siblings can have rivalry and hate each other lol.

Fair point about being able to ignore it, but my concern about gameplay is that personality in the Sims 4 is basically useless. Traits do very little and only seem to impact how frequently Sims experience certain emotions. If these traits are more like TS2 or TS3 style, then I'll be excited.
Instructor
#1730 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
Fair point about being able to ignore it, but my concern about gameplay is that personality in the Sims 4 is basically useless. Traits do very little and only seem to impact how frequently Sims experience certain emotions. If these traits are more like TS2 or TS3 style, then I'll be excited.

Traits unlock socials and activities, they cause autonomous specific action, unlock animations (glutton feeding frenzy) or (insane idles) and influence emotions. I fail to see how personality does not matter in the game. No two of my sims are played the same way because no two of them have the exact same traits, and the trait system creates a lot of gameplay variety. It sounds like you have not paid much attention to the game. I remember the daredevil trait in sims 3 doing very little to change a sim, mostly it changed pie menu option text. However I would like to see an attraction system brought to the game with a dating game pack, as long as sims don't get obsessed with each other while their motives tank like they did in sims 2
Scholar
#1731 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
So, depression is in the game now? That's a little heavy, especiallh with the whole "life is pain" response.

Maybe they can jazz it up a bit. Like a meme.

Y'know, be more like ' Life is pain '
Instructor
#1732 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Maybe they can jazz it up a bit. Like a meme.

Y'know, be more like ' Life is pain '

I wish there was a way to influence the regular traits for the sake of immersion, when I tell a kid that life is pain, i want them to get the gloomy trait and call the sadness hotline, but it sounds like it teaches emotional control
Scholar
#1733 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:49 AM
Maybe have it so they can call the sadness hotline and that tepid clown from the original game will arrive to do jack all and make everything worse. Biting social commentary on woefully underfunded mental health services or just regular bizarre sim stuff? Either works.
Instructor
#1734 Old 24th May 2017 at 4:13 AM
Maybe have it so they can call the sadness hotline and that tepid clown from the original game will arrive to do jack all and make everything worse. Biting social commentary on woefully underfunded mental health services or just regular bizarre sim stuff? Either works.

when sims 4 introduced mood swings to the franchise, now it looks like teenagers will display a more over the top version of it, i can imagine the complaints now, but it will make me feel at home with the game
Forum Resident
#1735 Old 24th May 2017 at 5:24 AM
well I am sort of excited for this because we desperately needed more family gameplay. Hopefully, it'll be worth it.
Forum Resident
#1736 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
Traits unlock socials and activities, they cause autonomous specific action, unlock animations (glutton feeding frenzy) or (insane idles) and influence emotions. I fail to see how personality does not matter in the game. No two of my sims are played the same way because no two of them have the exact same traits, and the trait system creates a lot of gameplay variety. It sounds like you have not paid much attention to the game. I remember the daredevil trait in sims 3 doing very little to change a sim, mostly it changed pie menu option text. However I would like to see an attraction system brought to the game with a dating game pack, as long as sims don't get obsessed with each other while their motives tank like they did in sims 2

The problem with Sims 4 traits are that they don't change autonomous behaviour like they should imo. Different sims with different traits often do the same thing when left alone (especially townies and guests, because events and lots seem to overpower traits) and just the emotions change their routine up a little, so in that sense I agree that traits often just trigger emotions.
But I have to admit that it has gotten better since the beginning, not every sim does push ups all of the time now and toddler traits actually work pretty well (although they are also mainly emotionally driven), so I have hope for the game pack.
Mad Poster
#1737 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:19 AM
I don't know about the mental health services part, but it would be such a hoot to have the tragic clown back where he acted like the tragic clown again.
Instructor
#1738 Old 24th May 2017 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BagelTheDog
TS3: Generations Introduced mood swings for teens.

I was making a joke about the sims 4 emotion system, they seem more like actual mood swings. I just remember my sims 3 teens doing pranks throwing parties and getting grounded from school
Top Secret Researcher
#1739 Old 24th May 2017 at 5:35 PM
The whole emotional system is a giant mood swing! It is not consistent, not at all. I wonder if they have ever did their tweaking right.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1740 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
I was making a joke about the sims 4 emotion system, they seem more like actual mood swings. I just remember my sims 3 teens doing pranks throwing parties and getting grounded from school

Mood Swings (and Mid Life Crisises, using a similar system) would cause teens to have a strong desire to do something they probably shouldn't be doing, and the want couldn't be canceled, so it sat there for a while.

dodgy builder
#1741 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
The whole emotional system is a giant mood swing! It is not consistent, not at all. I wonder if they have ever did their tweaking right.

That's probably what parents would say as well.

30'th of may I read.
Lab Assistant
#1742 Old 24th May 2017 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr

It wouldn't be so bad if each emotion didn't have a "Very" version which kills whims whenever it changes to or from it.
Instructor
#1743 Old 24th May 2017 at 7:29 PM
Mood Swings (and Mid Life Crisises, using a similar system) would cause teens to have a strong desire to do something they probably shouldn't be doing, and the want couldn't be canceled, so it sat there for a while.
I would not call that a mood swing, was that the official name for it? Mood Swings are rapid cycles of emotion to extreme levels, like in the sims 4. I don't remember that feature being advertised as mood swings.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1744 Old 24th May 2017 at 7:48 PM
TS3 didn't have emotions, so the "mood swing" comprised of wishes a Sims usually wouldn't make, but not want to because of their mood. Because of that, rewards points increased they get a major boost when one is fulfilled.

Since Sims have emotions in TS4, they can cycle from one to another, but it probably wouldn't look any different from the usual gameplay.

Mad Poster
#1745 Old 24th May 2017 at 7:50 PM
http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sims-3/Teen_Mood_Swings I believe so. There is also a mention of that under the wiki page of "Teen".
Instructor
#1746 Old 24th May 2017 at 8:26 PM
TS3 didn't have emotions, so the "mood swing" comprised of wishes a Sims usually wouldn't make, but not want to because of their mood. Because of that, rewards points increased they get a major boost when one is fulfilled.

Since Sims have emotions in TS4, they can cycle from one to another, but it probably wouldn't look any different from the usual gameplay.

that remains to be seen, I saw some different socials and walk styles from teens in the trailer already
Field Researcher
#1747 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:03 AM
there is a Q&A about parenthood gamepack in case anyone still curious
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/16/sims...a-simguruninja/
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/23/sims...runinja-part-2/
Field Researcher
#1748 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
there is a Q&A about parenthood gamepack in case anyone still curious
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/16/sims...a-simguruninja/
https://simsvip.com/2017/05/23/sims...runinja-part-2/

Got to admit that it sounds real great, IF everything they say works like they say. But since it's EA I'll wait and see, but hoping for the best, since I like to play family style :D
Field Researcher
#1749 Old 25th May 2017 at 6:21 AM
Not really surprised to find that I really, really want one or two hairstyles and three or so outfits from this (and the possibility to praise or encourage the kids more - the praise option is fickle, and the show love disappears once the little simmies are teens? That's a bit harsh), but nothing else. For most packs this seems to be the norm for me, vampires excluded. (I so hoped they'd do a similar one for witches or werewolves, ah well) Still, I'd settle for this one thing I've been really missing: further mentoring ability for "normal" skills (the skills your sims use and need as an adult, not temporary kiddie skills), say like mentoring the kiddies in painting and similar.
Most of all I would have really liked by now to have a cooking mentoring, at least for teens. Surely that wouldn't be too hard? Have the adult stand by chatting animatedly while teen sim goes through the cooking motions, both get the mentor moodlet and good parenting moodlets, and maybe the teen sim learns the cooking skill at double the speed (or the result becomes one level better than it otherwise would)? If someone can tell me they have put THAT in the pack I'll start scrambling my tiny funds right away.
Mad Poster
#1750 Old 25th May 2017 at 7:23 AM
I am hoping this is all optional. In the choices of say friendly, or funny or whatever I hope there is a choice of parenting and then we choose whatever. I want to be able to do this when wanted and not have it be mandatory once the pack is installed.
Page 70 of 185