Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#1751 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am hoping this is all optional. In the choices of say friendly, or funny or whatever I hope there is a choice of parenting and then we choose whatever. I want to be able to do this when wanted and not have it be mandatory once the pack is installed.

Well, those five "traits" are not optional as far as I got it. They can either develop in a negative, positive or neutral way. I really hope that ignoring your kids makes them fall in the negative category by default and you don't have to trigger it, it makes family play more important.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#1752 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
Traits unlock socials and activities, they cause autonomous specific action, unlock animations (glutton feeding frenzy) or (insane idles) and influence emotions. I fail to see how personality does not matter in the game. No two of my sims are played the same way because no two of them have the exact same traits, and the trait system creates a lot of gameplay variety. It sounds like you have not paid much attention to the game. I remember the daredevil trait in sims 3 doing very little to change a sim, mostly it changed pie menu option text. However I would like to see an attraction system brought to the game with a dating game pack, as long as sims don't get obsessed with each other while their motives tank like they did in sims 2

I've defended this game a lot on the board and gotten many disagrees, so I have paid attention. I wish I didn't feel that way about TS4, but I do. Traits seem to matter very little other than certain animations (which, while cute, do not really change gameplay) or increase/decrease the likelihood of certain moods. I haven't seen them influence autonomous actions very much, like they did in TS3. My TS4 Sims all act the same regardless of their traits.

I agree with what you said about the daredevil trait. TS3 isn't perfect by any means.

I think that this game pack is a step in the right direction, but in the end I think TS4's game engine is just missing too much to ever make the gameplay feel meaningful to me.
Instructor
#1753 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:52 PM Last edited by misstrgal : 25th May 2017 at 1:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
I've defended this game a lot on the board and gotten many disagrees, so I have paid attention. I wish I didn't feel that way about TS4, but I do. Traits seem to matter very little other than certain animations (which, while cute, do not really change gameplay) or increase/decrease the likelihood of certain moods. I haven't seen them influence autonomous actions very much, like they did in TS3. My TS4 Sims all act the same regardless of their traits.

I agree with what you said about the daredevil trait. TS3 isn't perfect by any means.

I think that this game pack is a step in the right direction, but in the end I think TS4's game engine is just missing too much to ever make the gameplay feel meaningful to me.

To give an example I've been playing the Pancake family because I turned them into vampires, and I don't want them to expire in the sunlight, and on top of that they are expecting a child. Traits tend to create subtle differences but they definitely show. Like how Eliza is obsessed with cleaning and Bob seems to be propelled by farts and is almost always depressed and anti-social. Eliza gets tense and always wants to buy stuff. A lot of the trait system requires player intervention to make it rich and use of the imagination, but that has been the case with all the sims games, as far as I can remember

Edit: I tend to brush off disagrees myself, especially when they don't get an explanation with them. They are like points on Whose Line is it Anyway, they don't matter
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1754 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:53 PM
The daredevil trait could have been used for a lot of content post launch. I don't think Daredevil rolled any wants to do anything all that dangerous (beyond the base game), which it could have.

Did they even have anything special in regards to Tomb Raiding or Scuba Diving?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#1755 Old 25th May 2017 at 1:50 PM
Odds are pretty good that I will get this, even though I am not totally sure why as really do not play this game much at all, but I will probably wait to see Clint's review first as I tend to agree with his assessments.
Test Subject
#1756 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Maybe they can jazz it up a bit. Like a meme.

Y'know, be more like ' Life is pain '

I figured it was a princess bride reference. The quote being "Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Instructor
#1757 Old 25th May 2017 at 5:29 PM
parenthood gamepack > sims 3 generations

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Top Secret Researcher
#1758 Old 25th May 2017 at 5:32 PM
It has better integrated mechanics that might prove useful for better gameplay, but I don't think it has as much content as Generations have.

The collective agrees on one thing: We'll wait and see.
Mad Poster
#1759 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mondenkind
Well, those five "traits" are not optional as far as I got it. They can either develop in a negative, positive or neutral way. I really hope that ignoring your kids makes them fall in the negative category by default and you don't have to trigger it, it makes family play more important.

You either get a positive trait, a negative trait, or no trait at all. So it's possible to come away with five additional traits, no additional traits or any combination inbetween.
From looking at a screenshot showing off the Character Values panel it would appear you have to get a Value to almost be full at either end of the scale before you will end up with the trait.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
#1760 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:05 PM
Another clip has been released that shows off some of the new build mode items:

I like them. They look more like things you'd find in a typical middle class household.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Field Researcher
#1761 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
Another clip has been released that shows off some of the new build mode items:

I like them. They look more like things you'd find in a typical middle class household.

I agree! I really, really like that there's some very regular, modest, mundane looking items here. Will be nice for a feeling of realism....
hopefully they give us enough swatches that aren't akin to a radioactive Blues Clues episode though.
The extreme colour mish-mash in [edit:] most of these clips make me feel mildly nauseated. Other than that... looking forward to it.

Just went back, the colours/swatches in this one are way more mellowed.
Test Subject
#1762 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:47 PM
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this pack. I like the new activities and clothes and things, but I'm damn sick of game packs and spending money on them...

"Just once, can you two behave like grown ups?" "We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants. I wouldn't hold out too much hope."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1763 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim

Wait, let's not go there yet.

Mad Poster
#1764 Old 26th May 2017 at 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim

Lets not get crazy. This is gonna have to be one hell of a game pack to top my favorite expansion from TS3

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#1765 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
Talk about counting chickens before they hatch!

don't need to they aren't even trying to make anything original anymore. just rehash OLD expansions/ideas. it's generations with depression thrown in

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Forum Resident
#1766 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Odds are pretty good that I will get this, even though I am not totally sure why as really do not play this game much at all, but I will probably wait to see Clint's review first as I tend to agree with his assessments.

I love LGR's reviews, too. But chances are that he won't like it even if it is good, he never has been much of a family player so I don't think he knows what enriches a not YA-focused gameplay. Although I guess he'll like the over all style of the objects.
Scholar
#1767 Old 26th May 2017 at 9:27 AM
I love LGR's reviews, too. But chances are that he won't like it even if it is good, he never has been much of a family player so I don't think he knows what enriches a not YA-focused gameplay. Although I guess he'll like the over all style of the objects.

No matter how he feels about the packs, he's always good at showing what it's about, the content and features, and how they work (or don't work). When I see his reviews I always take into consideration what kind of player he is - also he does aswell.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Test Subject
#1768 Old 26th May 2017 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
No matter how he feels about the packs, he's always good at showing what it's about, the content and features, and how they work (or don't work). When I see his reviews I always take into consideration what kind of player he is - also he does aswell.

I think LGR also recognizes his play style isn't necessarily the same play style as everybody else. He's very good at remaining fairly impartial and showing every aspect of the games.

"Just once, can you two behave like grown ups?" "We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants. I wouldn't hold out too much hope."
Forum Resident
#1769 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:39 PM

He really liked Generations for TS3, so I can see him liking this one (assuming that the pack fully accomplishes everything it says it's supposed to do)

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Lab Assistant
#1770 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:34 PM

I think he will. He's part of the "I want to mimic real life" portion of the community.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1771 Old 26th May 2017 at 10:30 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 26th May 2017 at 11:40 PM.
The Sims team sure do love their mason jar lamps.

Edit: Oh, the game is kind of a life simulator now. I like that children can go through phases.

Edit Edit: So, this is the life simulator expansion pack? About time. This is all so precious.

Field Researcher
#1772 Old 27th May 2017 at 12:08 AM
The only thing I didn't like about the stream (which isn't actually part of the new game pack) was that small moment when the mom saw her children fighting and she got angry, but that angerness vanished not a second later and was overwritten by a happy buff, then back to anger, then uncomfortable and finishing again at happy (all in the span of about 2 or so seconds). Just really shows how terrible the "emotions" system truly is. (keep in mind this was the main feature they advertised with TS4)
The game pack is neat though, should improve the life simulation experience quite a bit.
(also the Gurus' ear-rape laughing almost gave me an aneurysm)
Forum Resident
#1773 Old 27th May 2017 at 1:14 AM
I have found that LGR usually gives better reviews for Game Packs over EPs.
Mad Poster
#1774 Old 27th May 2017 at 1:24 AM
Probably because the Game Packs are usually better than the Expansion Packs. Three years in and we still haven't had an expansion that I'd call good. The closest for me is Get Together but even that's just "...eh"

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#1775 Old 27th May 2017 at 5:49 AM
What about kids/teens who are living without parents? What about the ORPHANS!
Page 71 of 185