Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#1651 Old 25th May 2017 at 8:55 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th May 2017 at 9:15 AM.
Good morning!

The budget is great. It's getting this building going that is driving me to distraction. I don't know if it's because of the stress of having to move a real-life houseful of stuff hundreds of miles (most of this stuff which isn't mine), or getting a governmental body to finally give me an answer about my jury service (and either way, I have to deal with legal issues), or if it's the lot itself, but I just can't seem to get anywhere with this. I THINK I'm good and then hit a snag. And the pressure of knowing I have to get something way out way before a deadline is not helping. I have literally tried at least five or six entirely different house styles and they just don't look right to me. I'm always just a wee bit off.

I'd feel better if I at least had a building shell I could live with ...

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1652 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:23 AM
Strongs, Gazania

I have not picked a family yet. And thought the last foundation was tough.

On the one hand, I'd really like to build a tree house.
On the other hand, I'd really like to do a hippie house (although that will be hard now, I think, to come up with a new idea) - but the garden won't be all that impressive.
There isn't enough place, I think, for the wannabe Olympian's pool - not one he'd be happy with, I think.
And I am not sure if there will be enough space for pets either.
So I am stuck. Considering just building something and then see if it can be adapted/stretched/screwed up to fit a particular family

I am wondering how positive the influence of a breakfast in town and a shopping spree will be on my creative side...
Instructor
#1653 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I am wondering how positive the influence of a breakfast in town and a shopping spree will be on my creative side...

You won't know until you've been ...

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1654 Old 25th May 2017 at 10:48 AM
@Justpetro The pool does not have to be huge, just so long as he can swim laps.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1655 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:22 AM
Thank you, Jo I do hope you feel a lot better today, and will be yourself soon.

Full of surprised you will always be You knocked me out with the tiny lot.

Radio/TV commentary:

Evans is running fast now, and has just passed Tree House to take the lead!
Tree House does not seem to slow down at all, he is chasing Evans!
Flower Power is still in this too, although falling slightly behind the front runners now....
Instructor
#1656 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:02 PM
"And they're off! The Lamberts have taken a clear lead ... but they've fallen at the first fence ... no wait ... they're up and running ... straight into the second fence and retirement."

"Unfortunately it looks like no one bothered to tell the others the race was about to start and they're all milling around aimlessly!"

Justpetro - don't forget to give Evans a dope test

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1657 Old 25th May 2017 at 12:11 PM
Well it's 9pm over here Petro and I am feeling somewhat better, thank you. Hopefully a good night sleep will see me right. Good surprises I hope. I tried to make each round interesting.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#1658 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:04 PM
whoward69, how did you do your rooftop pool? All the tutorials I'm finding require CC.
Instructor
#1659 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
whoward69, how did you do your rooftop pool? All the tutorials I'm finding require CC.

I used CC - you need one transparent tile - there's one on here by RGiles IIRC

Edit: These http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=34012

Mad Poster
#1660 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:23 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 25th May 2017 at 4:44 PM.
I made a rooftop pool once with the "stage tool" and Frillen's invisible floor (the only one I use!) It turned out REALLY cool!!! But, I ended up using waaaay to much CC to bother uploading it *sigh*

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#1661 Old 25th May 2017 at 5:53 PM
I'm currently building for the Lambert's, it could change to the Newmans, but I doubt it. Amazingly, I actually finished this week's DOTY entry on Tuesday! (Last week, I posted it Saturday at 11:53 PM, 7 minutes before the round closed, lol) So I have plenty of time to work on this one at the moment
retired moderator
#1662 Old 25th May 2017 at 9:41 PM
whoward69, I'm still failing at this roof top pool. Did you use a stage? Which tutorial did you follow?

I just crashed my game trying this, but maybe it didn't like it because I was 14 levels up....
Instructor
#1663 Old 25th May 2017 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
whoward69, I'm still failing at this roof top pool. Did you use a stage? Which tutorial did you follow?

I just crashed my game trying this, but maybe it didn't like it because I was 14 levels up....

Evans house is
1) normal height walls
2) 4 click wall
3) 4 click wall
4) normal height walls

The 1-2 boundary is the bottom of the pool (tiles or aqua carpet)
The 2-3 boundary is the "swimmable layer" (transparent tiles)
The 3-4 boundary is the decking around the pool (so where the steps/board need placing)

Tutorial - the one I wrote after working it out

HTH

W

PS - 14 floors would crash my game without a roof-top pool!

Mad Poster
#1664 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:10 PM
Great. I was in the middle of trying to get SOMETHING out (I'm still at lot-builder-block level), when the monitor went pffft. Off to the store I go. I managed, using pretzel-like contortions, to at least get the monitor to stay on enough for me to save my game.

I think it might be a case of my getting out something DESPITE everything and not because of it!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1665 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:19 PM
@Phaenoh Your house with the swimable lake, did you use a tutorial for that? I notice yours has no fish and it has been mentioned that fish can be an issue.

~Call me Jo~
retired moderator
#1666 Old 25th May 2017 at 11:32 PM
Mad Poster
#1667 Old 26th May 2017 at 12:34 AM
This is such a weird day. I have a house I'm happy with (but I'm warning you, the Newmans are Eccentric), and I packaged it up, or I thought I did, in my AGS and then installed the package into my full game (or I thought I did), but when I load the full game all I find is the foundation. So I thought, screw it, plenty of time, I'll play some Hawkinses. And now the game has crashed, but not in the normal way and it took me awhile to recognize it. And I'm tired and haven't made supper yet, and we have a lot of lost time to make up over the three-day weekend, so it may or may not get playtested this weekend.

I had Fun with Color here. I regret that I couldn't fit in a gigantic aquarium, and also that there's no way for Sims cats to make use of a house like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okOVxfuSYPk

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#1668 Old 26th May 2017 at 12:43 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 26th May 2017 at 5:10 AM.
Trying to plan something on paper is not easy. I can't get the dimensions right and the foundation is quite small - definitely in need of a second, if not third, storey. Some grand plans that required space will have to go by the wayside. Looking forward to getting my PC back.

Edit: I'm not sure why I'm finding this one more of a challenge than the last one. Definitely feeling the need for creativity. I'll be really interested in seeing how others have dealt with it. Just a few more days then I can get stuck in and see what works!
Mad Poster
#1669 Old 26th May 2017 at 1:22 AM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 26th May 2017 at 2:16 AM.
Here is a pix of the rooftop pool apartment building I mentioned earlier:

I discovered the CC in it isn't as bad as I remembered - I'll try to upload the lot soon
...gotta finish judging first *sigh*
Screenshots

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1670 Old 26th May 2017 at 1:27 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 26th May 2017 at 1:40 AM.
@Phaenoh Thanks. I am guessing you didn't find the fish to be a problem?

Added play alongs to the table. Edited round fours text slightly since this is the last residential lot round. Next and last! Round will be a community lot.

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#1671 Old 26th May 2017 at 3:40 AM
retired moderator
#1672 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:44 AM
Welp, just crashed my game again, after trying to rebuild this darn pool skyscraper for the 8th time. Maybe it's a sign I should give up on this design and try something else? I'm not even convinced I actually like the thing, too skinny, and it seems I just can't build it. Maybe I'll build a parking structure next to the tower and put the pool up there...

Jo, yeah fish weren't an issue at all. They just showed up and started swimming like no big deal.
Mad Poster
#1673 Old 26th May 2017 at 6:18 AM
@joandsarah77 ... question:

By "A place to sew, paint and make pottery". does that mean this area needs to be in the house? Can it be in a garage, shed, etc.?

I'm debating whether I want to be a glutton for punishment or not by trying something. If I fail miserably (which I fear I might be doing already), there is always a garage ... if that is allowed.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1674 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:38 AM
Well in a place that seems feasible. A nice shed would be okay, although I do think most people would want a sewing machine inside the house. I put my pottery wheel under a covered deck (because it's messy) and the easel under a tree since it's portable (also messy) and people do like to paint outside. So long as the shed isn't used as bedroom I think is all I said so technically yes all those could go in a shed, but make it look like a place you would want to keep your sewing machine in. Nobody wants their expensive sewing machine in a garage.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1675 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:39 AM
Phae, perhaps a shorter block would work? Then it wouldn't be so skinny.

I started building for the Lamberts, or who I thought they were, and then their house evolved and told me that they were completely different people! It's a good job I didn't make the sims before making the houses

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...

Page 67 of 106