Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
2 people viewing

Sweet Mystre

There are also 1 guests viewing too.

Latest Site News

Sneak Preview of Project CRUMB - posted on 21st May 2017 at 7:32 PM
Replies: 1699 (Who?), Viewed: 50048 times.
Page 68 of 68
Test Subject
#1676 Old Yesterday at 8:54 AM
Default Bits and bobs
Joandsarah I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.Thoughts heading your way for a speedy recovery.

Phaenoh and whoward69 Wow rooftop pools! I can barely build one on the ground lol. Thanks for the tutorial. I understand it but actually doing it would be a different thing for me no fault of the tutorial. And I love your cabin Phaenoh It's the kind of place I'd love to be instead of couped up in a town.

Peni Griffin That house is AMAZING. Every cat who has ever owned me would have loved it! The two I have right now would fight each other over the shark's mouth

CatherineTCJD Those towers look incredible. I can't imagine the effort involved in building that lot. I've only been to London once so I've never seen the Embassy Gardens but they look like such a welcome bit of green in a city but in a way that you wouldn't normally think of.

gazania Sending speedy building thoughts your way. I'll bet you'll be fine. It's the stress from real life shoving it's way in. As Justpetro said spend a little time with the Rhodes at the bubble blower.

I'm sure I missed loads I wanted to say. Wishing everyone good luck for the round. And even more luck for the next. I have this terrible feeling that our esteemed leader has something sneaky instore for us

I'm building for Evans this round and I've got the lot done but yet again I'm not sure if it works or not. Anyone got any thoughts?

Scottiedoag
Screenshots
Instructor
#1677 Old Yesterday at 9:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiedoag
Anyone got any thoughts?

"Up and coming Olympian dates young pop-star ... teenage boys cause massive traffic jams as they gather outside his house!"

Curtains might be an idea!

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Test Subject
#1678 Old Yesterday at 9:18 AM
Curtains aren't very modern, though - at least not the Maxis ones. I would rather expect something outside the windows in a house like this. Most modern houses here come with roller shutters (not sure about the english word - those grey or white blinds that roll up in the wall on top of the window. They can be closed or openend with a belt on the inside.) They are basically invisible when open.

Another cool modern shutter I have seen here in real life is a wooden panel that moves to one side of the window. Like this:

I like your house, scottiedoag. Everybody seems to pick red for evans
Test Subject
#1679 Old Yesterday at 9:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoward69
"Up and coming Olympian dates young pop-star ... teenage boys cause massive traffic jams as they gather outside his house!"

Thanks. I agree about the curtains but a) none of the maxis one's fit the window other than the heavy "victorian" ones that look really silly with this style and b) all my research into this sort of build is talking about the unimpeded vistas with no curtains/blinds. Its one of the reasons I'm not sure about it. I did think of surrounding the lot with neighbourhood trees to simulate the surrounded by acres of mature woodland that also seems to be a constant with these types of build at least in the UK architect sites I've looked at. My son says it's multi coloured therefore no good but he does have aspergers!

ETA Cool house enebya. I love the idea of the shutters. Going no CC really frustrates me sometimes! The roller blind idea is also cool. I have CC blinds that would work but I really want no CC this round. I put the bath and shower on the wall facing the street so they can't be seen from below and there is a screen in front of the windows to block the view of the other side of the room with the toilet and sink. Thanks for your reply.

Scottiedoag
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
Original Poster
#1680 Old Yesterday at 9:36 AM
Very nice @scottiedoag grabbing more livable space above your pool is clever. Apart from the tiny blinds no maxis curtains work on modern houses. However since using a CC blind would take away five points while no curtains won't remove that many for deco that seems sensible. The thing with CC is It's only really worth it if makes some kind of big impact and blinds don't.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1681 Old Yesterday at 9:49 AM
Looks good, @scottiedoag

I am smiling at the fish turning up @Phaenoh

Evans won the race in my game. He is going for gold. (I am on the first floor and the budget is spent. Starting the cutting back phase now).

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Forum Resident
#1682 Old Yesterday at 2:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enebya
Everybody seems to pick red for evans

I didn’t in my round 3 entry

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
staff: retired moderator
#1683 Old Yesterday at 3:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voeille
I didn’t in my round 3 entry
Meither, I went with yellow.

Scottie, I love where you are going with that. I'd wrap the colored wallet around a bit more, having. It all grey on the back is blah.

So my new iteration involves an underground parking lot because I accidentally stumbled on a way of removing a foundation wall without taking away the foundation, a pool on top of that, and a 7 story apt building with three units. I'm doing the Newmans? That last family that just entertains by the pool. Doing all sorts of cheating on this one so far...

Like my work? Help me make a difference!
Test Subject
#1684 Old Yesterday at 5:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaenoh
Meither, I went with yellow.

Scottie, I love where you are going with that. I'd wrap the colored wallet around a bit more, having. It all grey on the back is blah.

So my new iteration involves an underground parking lot because I accidentally stumbled on a way of removing a foundation wall without taking away the foundation, a pool on top of that, and a 7 story apt building with three units. I'm doing the Newmans? That last family that just entertains by the pool. Doing all sorts of cheating on this one so far...

That's a great idea. All that concrete!
Can't wait to see your build. I just downloaded Evannt Lofts as I'll add a "downtown" to Wee Toon when the contest is done and your lots are perfect for it. Thanks again for sharing!
Scottiedoag
Lab Assistant
#1685 Old Yesterday at 6:47 PM
Hi
Hope everyone is doing well today.

Woot~ Building time! I thought of a house idea and which family - no time to do them all this round- and now I'm going to build (after physical therapy XD ). I'm not going to check in until I have most of it done. I want to see if I can do it first. - make it look right is what I mean, I'm sure I can do it. I'm not building anything complicated or initiative at all.
Mad Poster
#1686 Old Yesterday at 8:45 PM Last edited by gazania : Yesterday at 9:18 PM.
(Pokes head out).

Well after stressing out like crazy and having my monitor give up the ghost to boot (thus needing to get another one), I finally packaged my first lot iteration.

After poring through dozens and dozens of photos of converted stuff and other such things to think of something for the Rhodes family, I came across a house plan that looked like two entirely different styles put together.

"That's crazy! " I thought.
"That's freaky!", I added.
"Wait a minute ... ", I exclaimed (mentally, of course). I made a reasonable facsimile of the lot and went to work.

The final result is ... different. It remains to be seen whether it's good different or bad different. One challenge for me was to squeeze everything I wanted to squeeze on the lot. The biggest challenge for me was NOT to mush everything together, but unite the different looks somehow. It's way too easy to wind up with hodgepodge when you want a potpourri.

I've yet to move my hippies in, though, to check for routing issues and get 'em skilling. That can take a while.

Unfortunately, the thing that I wanted to do for them, I either just don't have the skill or Maxis won't let me do. I wanted to make a proper yurt on the yard. I CFE'd my brains out, and even when I had a somewhat yurt-ish look with a makeshift cloth dome-like roof (a pain in the neck, since one extra click and the effect was ruined), found the CFE oddness just too distracting. See ... what was under my pavilion in the last round, only worse. This time, there was no hiding the fractured portions easily. Also, I couldn't fit a yurt's more realistic proportions in there properly. So no yurt for the Rhodes. Since a garage didn't fit that well, either (while you COULD get a garage in there with move_objects, it just didn't look good to me), it was a boring shed for them. (I do have a CC yurt build, but about that CC ...) Snoozing and losing and all that. I might have been able to get a yurt or garage on the last build, since I had more lot to build on. Oh well.

What I MIGHT do is use the same building shell (thus saving me a lot of time) make it a little less disparate, and do a Rodney version, then see if I can't draft my daughter to tell me which one she likes better.

But at least I have something that won't give me a zero. Maybe a ten. But not a zero.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Mad Poster
#1687 Old Yesterday at 9:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoward69

joining the crowd of teenage girls already there.....

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Lab Assistant
#1688 Old Today at 12:52 AM
I like your build, @scottiedoag The modern style; dark with some colors- Cool imo.

Well, I got the house layout done~ Not the full inside. I thought I'd do the Rhodes, differently. They've recycled an old house, a lighthouse to save it from demolition.

I don''t know... the idea seem to pop in my head this morning. It might work for Sims who want to recycle and reuse. . .
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#1689 Old Today at 1:43 AM
The lighthouse is an interesting idea indeed

Simblr
Mad Poster
#1690 Old Today at 2:45 AM Last edited by gazania : Today at 2:57 AM.
Really nice!

I thought of old schoolhouses, silos, barns, shipping containers (well, JustJones thought of that in a previous round, so I was beaten to the punch on that, and I didn't like my overall result this time, so I ditched the idea),and churches (but as Phae and others might note, THAT has certainly been done before!). In some of these attempts, my biggest enemy was space ... I just couldn't get everything I wanted in there. Never thought of a lighthouse. Bravo!

And the Newmans, Elliotts ... and now the Rhodes? (Presuming I don't go with the Rodneys after the redesign.) You definitely make me step up my game each round!

Well actually, as others have done with the Rhodes, part of my house is a reconversion! The other part ... isn't.

Theorist
#1691 Old Today at 2:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania
I wanted to make a proper yurt on the yard...

I made a pretty decent yurt before with just the domed roof - pull it out in an 8X8 section, and it gives you enough space inside to walk around a bit.
You should be able to add walls after the dome is in place. Of course - you're stuck with roof choice colors for your yurt. And your house roof is going to match - unless you want a mod/flat style roof for the house.
Good luck!

My Etsy shops: Handmade Artisan Jewelry, Up/Recycled Disney Jewelry, and Vintage Stuffeths.

Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?
Needs Coffee
Original Poster
#1692 Old Today at 3:02 AM
A lighthouse would be cool.

I do hope some of these cc free/nearly cc free lots will be uploaded? :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1693 Old Today at 3:04 AM Last edited by gazania : Today at 3:18 AM.
Unfortunately, the way I configured the lot, I couldn't get a large enough octagon in there, so mine is a squished eight-sided building. I tried it with every roof configuration, and either the roof didn't go with the main building, or vice versa.

And the dome confounds me. Every time I try it, it looks like a huge mushroom top to me! I did try it with the dome a few times. Maybe I'll try it again on my packaged copy. It might not look as bad on my squished building as I thought after a little more sleep.

I think I might be a casualty of my perfectionist tendencies.

And alas ... I'm still not sure my lots are safe for anyone to upload, and would be reluctant to use anyone as a guinea pig.

Forum Resident
#1694 Old Today at 3:35 AM
Jo, I will upload my entries after I’m done with round 4 Speaking of which, I should’ve read the requirements instead of assuming I remember them, I forgot Rhodes want two bedrooms and now that chaotic weirdo I built will be even less reasonable than it is now... But well, Rhodes won’t complain, and I said I’ll make something weird for each round I hope I won’t run out of money soon, I already spent over 30k and the construction isn’t even finished.

Simblr
Mad Poster
#1695 Old Today at 4:37 AM Last edited by gazania : Today at 5:09 AM.
Actually, looking at the domed roof, it doesn't look as mushroom-y as I thought with only four hours of sleep. A two-hour nap can sometimes make a lot of difference! I still have the problem of every time I change the yurt roof, the main roof doesn't match, though, so my yurt may not look all that authentic. I'd have to flip through the roofs again and look at yurt pictures to get the best roof that would suit both buildings.

First, a disclaimer ... this is one of several iterations I will probably do of this lot, it's at a very early stage, and right now, I'm futzing with this and that and deciding what I want, and the final result may look very different. This is only v 2 of my current design (and at least v 4 or 5 of all designs for this round so far ... I go through a LOT of errors and iterations first). But now that I look at it, the domed roof doesn't look bad at all. It's not that mushroom-y. I had trouble CFE-ing, though because there is no foundation, and so I can't get that nice half-roof in there.

Another option would be the Rhodes converting it from an unused grain silo. Add another story or two, maybe? But if I make even a second walkway on the second floor, that may violate the rules. In either case, I would have to change the walls, of course. There aren't too many paneled yurts around or grain silos with wooden walls. There are some small metal grain silos out there that have been converted to buildings, I could even go with a small round barn.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...ing-studio.html

V 1 of the shed or v 2? Right now, v 2 might have more potential. That really IS screaming, "Make me a small grain silo or a little round barn if you don't make me a yurt!" Thank you for encouraging me to try the domes again, CatherineTCJD.

EDIT ... Wrong am I. There ARE yurts with wooden sides and tin roofs!

https://www.smilingwoodsyurts.com/the-cedar/

Still thinking small grain silo for that shed, though.
Screenshots

Needs Coffee
Original Poster
#1696 Old Today at 4:59 AM
@gazania I keep telling you the Super Hug doesn't matter. it;'s maxis code, harmless just annoying. People need to use No sim loaded because it can come from anybody or simply from a pulled mod. Just don't move sims into a lot you plan to package. or if they have it needs to be cleaned properly, but preferably not.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#1697 Old Today at 5:08 AM
I’ve spent over 70k and I’m not done with the interior yet I guess I’ll have to get rid of some expensive items if I want to afford a nice garden.

And yes, my Rhodes are kind of exhibitionists

Simblr
Mad Poster
#1698 Old Today at 5:09 AM
Well, they're hippies, and it IS out in the desert! Who is going to peek on them? A jackrabbit?

I have never, ever spent this much time on a shed. Ever. Right now, my shed, formerly a yurt, is shaping up as a small grain silo. I might go with it. It may revert to yurt at any time, though.

As for the SDHB ... perhaps with Chris' mod, things may not be too bad.

Needs Coffee
Original Poster
#1699 Old Today at 5:22 AM
I simply made a new sims 2 folder and built in there and or build/move the lot to AGS with no sim loaded in it. So yes I take steps to hopefully keep the SDH out of my lots but there is no guarantee. This is what we thought was safe a few years back. Do what you can to ensure it's clean but don't over worry. I also have CH's lot cleaner and will be waving that around lots as well. Bit different if you have the SDH and take no steps to clean it.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#1700 Old Today at 6:17 AM
Loving the different build styles esp the lighthouse - great idea!

I can't wait to get started, even though my plan is the vagueist of vague at the mo. I don't think I can compete with you fantastically creative people.
Page 68 of 68