Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night - posted on 15th Jul 2017 at 7:21 PM
Replies: 57 (Who?), Viewed: 2174 times.
Page 3 of 3
Scholar
#51 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus Allien
I don't think most people were expecting photorealism or realistic graphics. I am actually ok with Sims being stylized. What I don't like is the fact that the use stylization as an excuse for laziness. No amount of stylization can justify the blocky, low quality mess that TS4 is. As I said countless times at this point, both Bioshock and Dragon Age (as well as Dishonored and even Skyrim) are stylized games and they don't lack graphic quality because of that. They take advantage of the best graphics available for that time to give better graphical fidelity regardless of art style. Some people gave Pixart/Dreamworks movie as examples and, althought you can't compare pre-rendered graphics to game graphics (rendered in real time), it clearly shows that it is possible to have high quality stylized graphics (though not as impressive as pre-rendered movie graphics). Just look at the beatiful grass in this Toy Story Xbox 360 game:

And this game was released in 2012 for a 2006 console...

What I'm loving almost as much as the grass is that raw wood at the top of the post!

You can still count the polys, but it's got a kickass texture to make up for it <3
Field Researcher
#52 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
That came after customer complaints.

That came after SimCity online fiasco. TPTB decided that releasing another online game from the same franchise shortly after the fisco was not worth the risk and they pretty much turned a mobile game into a PC game in less than a year. They were extremely dishonest and fraudulent at release though. Waiting until the eleventh hour to reveal important details, never confessing to the limitations of the engine and problems in development, and selling that monstrosity at full price (or even more for those who buy deluxe/special/limited editions). Had they been honest about the fact that this was not a main game title, provided they changed the name and sell it at a lower price, there wouldn't be such a huge backlash.
Scholar
#53 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 10:48 PM
I have to say I think the reception of the project that was released as "Sims 4" would have been a lot better if they had released it, but NOT as a mainline Sims series game. Reception for it as the latest version of Sims Online might have been a lot better. They could have done that, continued to release EPs for Sims 3 (which I think would have continued to sell well), and released a Sims 4 that was an actual single-player game from the beginning of development. Instead, we got something that's "neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 3:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
You can still count the polys, but it's got a kickass texture to make up for it <3

Wut? Y U NO like this?

Screenshots

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 5:44 AM
Quote:
Wut? Y U NO like this?

How can anyone not like a chocolate roll with a creamy filling?

Follow the lives of my TS3 sims and their growing integrated economy.
Scholar
#56 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:20 AM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 18th Jul 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Quote:
Wut? Y U NO like this?

*shudder*
"It's beautiful" - said only it's mother.
Instructor
#57 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 3:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
What I'm loving almost as much as the grass is that raw wood at the top of the post!

That seems a little biased, but okay.

The wood in that game is most likely photosourced. It's meant to look realistic.
The wood of The Sims 4's log bench is entirely hand painted from scratch, which gives it a way different look. It doesn't make it ugly, it just makes it not realistic i.e. heavily stylized. In terms of polygons, both the wooden posts and the log bench are comparable. Its textures are just two completely different styles.

If you think it looks bad just based on that, you should get your eyes checked, and I don't mean that in an insulting way.

I will agree though that the texture RESOLUTION of The Sims 4 is laughably low.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Scholar
#58 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 2:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisea
I will agree though that the texture RESOLUTION of The Sims 4 is laughably low.

That's like... -literally- the issue we're all already laughing about
Welcome to the party, there are still some seats left.
Page 3 of 3