Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 8:51 PM Last edited by auntielynds : 2nd Jan 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Default Caw Object Image Recolors Share Thread......Post Yours Here
Here is a brief explanation on how to use these files.

You will need S3PE which is a free download, to add these files to your world. Get it here;
Simlogical and the Dead End Nights

Open up S3pe, click on "File" on the bar at the top, click on "Open", and find your .world file you wish to add these files to.

They should be in;
Documents,
Electronic Arts,
Sims 3 Create a World
UserToolData
Worlds

It should look like this, I'm opening up my WhovilleBeta;
Make sure you click the "All Files" option, or your .world file won't show up.

Once you open it up, this is what it will look like;

Now, just click on the "Resource" tab on the top bar, Click on "import", and "from file". Find your new recolors you just downloaded, and click on it;

Now just hit the Ctrl + A keys to select all of the files in the folder, and click "Open". This is what you'll get, check;
Replace Duplicates;
Compress;
Use Resource Name
Then click "import".

Click on "file" on the top bar again in S3PE, and "Save".

Now, go open up Caw, and your world, and check out your new stuff!

This actually changes the image for that object, so you won't be able to change them back without extracting the same files and doing this process.

Links to shared recolors around the community. If you know of anymore, please post and I'll pop them in here.

Stw402's Altered Images and ini files for Exotic World
You need to download the Saved Game File in order to get the World builder files. About 3/4 of the way down his post.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 8:52 PM Last edited by auntielynds : 2nd Jan 2011 at 9:03 PM.
Default Winter Trees and Shrubs
Winter Trees and Shrubs

Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Winter Trees & Shrubs.7z (679.1 KB, 440 downloads) - View custom content
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 9:13 PM
Pastel, and Snow roofs.

These are the altered image files for the base game roofs. Pastels, and white like snow, and a nice deep red, green, and blue, for those gingerbread houses. There's also a nice Canary Yellow I didn't get a pic of. The Dark green jade roof, and the dark blue Japanese tile roofs, I slightly lightened up.

If you just want the snow roof, find the 4 files named "Roof_ManorNeutral"

Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Pastel and Snow Roofs.7z (1.04 MB, 148 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 3:26 AM
Hey Auntielynds.. I see you are doing your objects as a replacement of base objects. I have always been a bit nervous of doing that and used this framwork approach instead..

Sims3wiki caw framework

(Read the post VERY carefully, to many people have replaced the .cfg file, not appended to it)

In fact, I copy all my custom content into the same framework for both the game and CAW so that anything added in the game shows up in CAW as well.

Did you go for the direct replacement for a reason?

I will upload some stuff to this thread tomorrow, but I am not sure that the replacement method would work, mine is all framework stuff and new object names.

Regards

Graham
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 8:05 PM
I just sort of taught myself how to do this with the help of another tutorial. I have the framework already set up in Caw, but I have yet to teach myself how to convert stuff to a .package format to put them in like that. I'll find some tuts, there must be some here somewhere, and convert these.

This is what I love about the Sims. In the past year I've learned so much about fiddling with files, and new programs. Although, what is it they say, a little bit of knowledge........................... So, usually when I do something one way, it's because I have no idea there's another way, but that's the joy of the journey.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moria
Did you go for the direct replacement for a reason?

The way Lynds has done it, with the textures being imported into the World file, has the advantage that if you share the world, users do not have to install the custom textures- they are loaded with the world file itself. It is very useful if you play several worlds, as you could have different overrides in different worlds, according to what you want it to look like. So your Winter world would have the snowy trees, and each town could have different posters on the theatre.

You only need to do these as default overrides if you wish to use in all worlds, or if you wish to share as a mod that others can install in their game.

Another good example of this is the moon texture- someone on MTS has done a default replacement that makes the moon look different in all worlds. But on the Sims3 exchange someone made a Moon base world, and they included a texture override in the world file to change the moon to the Planet Earth. You wouldn't want an Earthlike moon for all worlds, so this is a good use.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 1:12 AM
ahhhh got it, thanks so much.. hmmmmmm may have to rethink a few things here However for brand new objects which do not replace, I guess the framework system is fine, and then when the world is packaged, or the object is finally completer, move the items into the main world file.

That way, quick changes to objects while testing can be made in the framework.

I think my brain is falling apart from learning so many new things this holiday.

Regards

Graham
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 12:52 AM
OK heres a few of mine as a starter. I will do the rabbitholes and buildings later when I am totally Happy.

Here you have :-

1) Red Crane
2) Blue Crane
3) First of my road sign set for a hospital
4) Billboard advertising 2 modern films with modern simlish.. Avatar and Tron evolution

These packages can go in normal game and in a CAW framework as defined here :-

Sims3Wiki CAW framework

USE this CAREFULLY.. this is not a replace but an append in the cfg.. you have been warned.

Piccies.. (of course)

Regards

Graham
Attached files:
File Type: rar  objects.rar (3.04 MB, 196 downloads) - View custom content
Description: cranes and signs
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 2:02 PM
is it possible to remove the recolours. I made al the three's in my whole world white and they have to be green
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 11:02 PM
welcome123, yes- just delete the files you imported from the world file. If you cannot remember what they are called, download them again and then search your world file in S3PE for that instance.
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:25 AM Last edited by simsample : 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
thank you very much! :D

uhm a little question, Where can I delete them? Thank you very much for your help :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 7:41 PM
welcome123, you just open the world that you imported the files to in S3Pe, and then delete the resources you added.

If you are actually playing a game which is using a world with these resources included, then you will instead need to open up the world file from the InstalledWorlds folder in your game user files, and delete the resources from there. You'll need to delete your caches, too.
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 7:13 PM
I;m sorry but I still don't understand. Do I have to run the program S3PE ? I'm not very smart with computers
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 7:01 PM
Yes, open the world with S3PE in just the same way as you did when you imported the resources. This time though, delete them instead. Then save.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Sep 2011 at 9:12 PM
What will happen if I copy a lot with normal grass texture and trees into this winter world? Will it become white, too or will it look funny?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 12:13 AM
sakasiru, this is not a world, it is a set of texture overrides and objects for use in Create-a-world.

The files that auntielynds has posted are recolours of trees and roofs, and Moria has posted some recoloured objects.

None of those will affect the terrain at all.

The trees and roofs are default overrides so if you import a lot into a world created with these, then that lot will also have the roof and tree recolours.
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 1:50 AM
i have a quick question .... I'd like to recolor all of the non-evergreen trees to make them colorful - like autumn in new england.
However, when i try to open fullbuild in s3pe, it takes literally FOUR hours to import, and my computer overheated like... 10 minutes before it was finished, so I didn't get to export the image files.

Is it supposed to take that long or am I doing something wrong?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Oct 2011 at 10:01 PM
That's not normal, ashleymarie87- is your computer low powered? If you have Vista or Win 7 then try copying the fullbuild file to your desktop, as that way UAC will not interfere. Also tell your antivirus program not to scan the file as you open it, in case that's slowing things down. It only takes seconds to open fullbuild0 on my old computer, so I would think something is amiss.

(When you said 'import', you meant open, right?)
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 12:33 AM
Actually, I'm not sure I can OPEN it - I thought I had to import it?
Let me open S3PE and see if I can open the file rather than importing it.
Test Subject
#20 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 12:43 AM
Okay - problem solved.
I needed to open rather than import. :\ I'm an idiot.
BUT, I can make pretty trees now!! :]
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 1:47 AM
Well done for figuring it out, ashleymarie87! You're not an idiot- everyone has to make mistakes, you should see the daft things I do sometimes!
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 11:42 AM
I really love these winter trees and roofs!

my question is... if i add these trees to my world does that mean that ALL trees will be this winter theme or can i have part of the world just green and higher up the mountains a winter theme?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 1:55 PM
ollieverm, these are overrides- meaning that they override the EA texture for those particular trees.

If you want to have the snowy version and the green version of a particular tree in the same world then you would need to clone the tree and use these textures to make a snowy version as a separate custom object.
Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 4:41 AM Last edited by MissSkitty : 3rd Nov 2011 at 1:49 PM.
Sorry to bother you guys, but I was looking to make recolors of an object in CAW. I don't know the file name, only the name it shows under in CAW. "Rock Beach Arch". Is there a tutorial on how to find these files somewhere? Or maybe a basic idea how to go about it...I feel like it's something easy, I just can't figure it out :/

Edit: I figured out how to do the overrides, I just can't find that particular rock in s3pe. Does anyone happen to know the name of it?
Test Subject
#25 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
ollieverm, these are overrides- meaning that they override the EA texture for those particular trees.

If you want to have the snowy version and the green version of a particular tree in the same world then you would need to clone the tree and use these textures to make a snowy version as a separate custom object.

and how exactly does one do that?
Page 1 of 2