Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 11:10 PM
Default editing Sunset Valley to add lots without destroying BV
I have downloaded this version of Sunset Valley in an (ultimately futile) attempt to solve a routing issue when placing lots near the Goth Mansion.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=451817

So apparently the only way for me to solve this problem (lot creation in general, and specifically modifying BV lots and trying to place lots near the Goth Mansion) is within CAW.

However the threads I was able to locate re editing existing worlds make it sound like it can't be done unless you are willing to accept starting from scratch and ending up with an empty world (no houses or sims). Yet the SV 2.0 world I downloaded has everything in place. Resources seem to be the problem.

Is there a tutorial that I couldn't find (I have looked) about how to do this? Comments on that download page imply that it can be done and is in fact fairly routinely done...

I don't want to do anything super-fancy (at least not yet) but I do want to be able to add lots and edit lots to work up a base-game that has everything I need in place, with BV preserved and nobody trapped in their houses because of the new lots.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 6:07 AM
"destroying BV"
BV? What is that when it is not an acronym?

You can basically Edit (any) pre-made World with the steps in the thread with that same title. Which I linked to in the Routing Lag Wiki. It's in this section of the forum.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
"destroying BV"
BV? What is that when it is not an acronym?

You can basically Edit (any) pre-made World with the steps in the thread with that same title. Which I linked to in the Routing Lag Wiki. It's in this section of the forum.

I am referring to the Beautiful Vista bug, where placing a library house on a lot with BV destroys the BV buff. Also bulldozing the lot from Edit Town. I have a lot that is bugged (its an EA defined/built lot) and even destroying everything by hand doesn't un-bug it, plus the OTHER nasty bug, where you can't ever place stairs to a basement inside an area where there's ever been a foundation, is a problem trying to rebuild on that lot.

Routing Lag wiki? In "this section of the forum"? Where is that? I don't see anything like that. I see stickies for:

List of World Ideas
CAW and Installing Worlds- Problems since 1.42 patch
Useful resources, common issues, and much more
Community Building/Rabbit Hole Sizes
List of lot Ideas

I can't seem to see anything labeled "Routing Lag". Perhaps a link, if you have it bookmarked?

BTW the problems to which I am referring don't actually have anything to do with routing lag. When I place a lot anywhere near the Goth Home, they are trapped inside, period paragraph. They appear to be able to enter, but once there they can never leave again. Which may or may not be germane to the "routing lag" issue, I can't say. FYI.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 4:46 PM
You linked to my download up there. Which presumably you had read. It has the link to Game Help:World Routing Lagswiki in the Overview/Description, which in turn references Editing Premade Worlds. And as previously stated, is in this part of the forum section.

And since I didn't get what the BV stood for at that time, I addressed the portion of your post that asked about editing pre-existing worlds. Where one does not need to start from scratch.

And no where in my reply (that you quoted), was there any mention of any stickies.
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 6:27 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
You linked to my download up there. Which presumably you had read. It has the link to Game Help:World Routing Lagswiki in the Overview/Description, which in turn references Editing Premade Worlds. And as previously stated, is in this part of the forum section.

And since I didn't get what the BV stood for at that time, I addressed the portion of your post that asked about editing pre-existing worlds. Where one does not need to start from scratch.

And no where in my reply (that you quoted), was there any mention of any stickies.

No, dear, there was no mention of stickies in your post. What you said was that there was a Routing Lag tutorial "in this section of the forum". When I looked in this section of the forum, all I could find were stickies and regular posts. Hence my confusion as to where to find that tutorial. Looking in the Tutorials section also failed to turn up a "world routing lag issues" or whatever the exact wording was (or even approximate) tutorial. So, the thing you were talking about was nowhere to be found "in this section of the forums". I figured it must be about SOMEWHERE, but I couldn't find it, hence I asked.

I knew I'd seen something similar in the course of my recent readings (like over the past couple of weeks) but I couldn't find it again. I did not think to go back and look on the page where the download is posted. I have been doing a LOT of reading about this issue and many other issues, consequently I can't always reliably find information I think I've read before. I don't recall any information in that "world routing lag" tutorial about how to edit a world but again, that could be because I've confused too many different postings and tutorials. All the information I could find about editing worlds was very old and had a lot of "I finally got it to work! ... oh wait a minute, it didn't work after all" kind of posts in the threads. I have not been able to find an actual tutorial about how to edit a pre-existing world in CAS, only threads where people were discussing the issue, with multiple sets of DIFFERENT instructions which don't seem to always work, at least not according to the posts I was reading.

I also thought I had stated pretty clearly that my need to edit pre-existing worlds was based on the fact that I couldn't find in-game editing solutions for the problems I was having. I'm sorry I confused the issue by abbreviating the Beautiful Vista bug - frankly the frequent and constant use of abbreviations for things in most of the threads and tutorials on the forum has been a source of much confusion and frustration for me as I try to find things myself, so again, I apologize for falling in to that bad habit myself.

If I could fix these issues in game I wouldn't touch trying to edit Sunset Valley in CAW with a ten-foot pole, but - I can't find solutions, and apparently everyone else who has had similar problems also have been unable to solve these problems, so rather than post yet another thread about not being able to place stairs where a foundation has previously been or losing the Beautiful Vista buff because you placed a library house on the lot, I figured I'd just go right to the next most viable, though difficult, solution, which is doing it in CAW. But doing it in CAW isn't helpful if you lose all your population and houses and have to start over from scratch. I just want to place some lots and build a handful of houses, without trapping anybody in their house or destroying the BV buff.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 9:56 PM Last edited by Sojourner : 6th Feb 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by RafreaknRa
I think this is the link: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ld_Routing_Lags

Thank you. THAT was very helpful. It pointed me at a thread entitled "Editing Premade Worlds" which is one of a series of two which I have already been through most of. However there are well over 400 postings in that second thread alone (http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments) so I have been unsure of where the useful information in that thread is. Also, the "tutorial" pointed to early in the thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...23&postcount=30) refers consistently (as do the majority of the posts I've read in that thread) to Bridgeport.

It would be helpful if someone could tell me if that post referred to above (http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...23&postcount=30) is the correct place to start, with the most correct and up to date information available for editing pre-made worlds with their full resources and population, and not just Bridgeport? (I assume probably not, but its not clear to me from what I've been able to read on the thread - again, over 400 postings in that one thread, not sure which are the important ones).

EDIT: I assume probably it IS the correct place to start. Sorry. Typo that totally changed the meaning of what I MEANT to say ...

On looking through the World Routing Lag information in the wiki from the link provided by EllaCharmed (sp?), which I have also read before but found to be confusing, in section 3.2 it refers to:

Step 3.2: In CAW

Using the original method from the "editing premade worlds" guide to ...

Is that referring to the information from post #30 above? There is no link and when I read that before I could not find an "editing premade worlds guide", only several posts with a lot of conflicting information about how to do this.

I'm sorry if I seem dense, but just like people not understanding what BV stands for (or other abbreviations) because they're not part of the group that made those abbreviations up and they're coming in to the middle of a "conversation" where many things are taken for granted, I can't tell from directions like that which do not include links and make references which are vague to people who don't already know what you are talking about WHICH postings, if any, are germane, correct, and up to date. Also, when it says "guide", I assume it means something more formal than a single posting in the 1000 or more postings split between two threads that were the most likely candidates I could come up with (but was not sure were actually on target given their age and the amount of conflicting information in the threads).

I have read literally thousands of postings on this site recently. It's not for lack of looking, and I would really appreciate any help from someone willing to hand me the end of a ball of string to help me find my way through the Minotaur's Maze, LOL!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 11:16 PM
The "Editing Premade Worlds" thread is the most up to date thread on the subject. Simsample updates the first posts with any new information garnered from the discussion in the thread. I basically use Inkanators method exclusively, and have never encountered a problem. Here is a tut I wrote at Simlogical Recovering Caw Files for an Exported World

You can keep the population as long as you don't move them around. If you're just adding a few lots, you should be good. You can read the tutorial on adding sims to the world in caw, and read through the precautions about letting time run and whatnot. It will give you an idea of what you need to avoid doing if you leave the population in place while you edit the world. http://cawtool.wikia.com/wiki/CAW_P..._Create-a-World
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 3:20 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 7th Feb 2013 at 7:09 AM. Reason: opps! wrong ep. have BV on the brainz.
Quote: Originally posted by Sojourner
Thank you. THAT was very helpful.
Aww! Wasn't my post helpful? I was essentially saying the same thing! I should know better than to be subtle. Plus, I like to teach people how to fish, rather than present them a home-cooked meal. That's what the FAQs are for - s step-by-step guide on fishing.

Quote: Originally posted by Sojourner
Step 3.2: In CAW

Using the original method from the "editing premade worlds" guide to ...

Is that referring to the information from post #30 above?
Well, yes; but the term "Original Method" is referring to Simsample's post title - see image. Original Method aka Inkantator's method aka First Method. They are one and the same. While Inkantator's guide is specific to Bridgeport, which you found confusing; simsample's instructions are generic and not referring to any one particular world.

Also, in the Sims community where people keep using
- Bon VoyageOpen for Business for Ambitions and vice versa
- Night Life for Late Night and vice versa
...whether intentionally or not, I don't like making assumptions, so I would always ask. Rather than be wrong and steer folks down the wrong path in trying to solve or answer the question.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:58 AM
Dear Sojourner , you're too heavy man , take it easy it is just a game no need for five pages of debates - Its just a game if you're too old for it dont play it