Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 9:30 PM
Default Opinions on colour scheme?
Just looking for some opinions from you lovely people!

So, background. This is my latest house build. I'm going for an English cottage feel, which over the years has been updated & changed. So most of the house keeps its old stone exterior, but parts of it have the new cream rendering (just so the attached garage didn't look all warped, thank you EA!) . So... what do you think? Do they match? Should I go easier on the stone, darken the cream rendering... do something else altogether?! :p
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:55 AM
Looks interesting! I'd go darker and perhaps with a wallpaper with more "texture" for the cream parts.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 11:03 AM
It looks good, although I wouldn't call it an 'English Cottage'. The interesting façade kind of reminds me of those neo-Victorian McMansions. I'd probably swap the thatch for tiles and change some of the windows to some bigger more modern looking ones if you want to compliment the façade you've got at the moment.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 12:29 PM
Ok, I've taken on board what both of you have said, and changed things around a little. I've darkened the rendering (although now I'm thinking it needs to go darker still?), changed the roof to one of the base game slate roofs and changed the bay windows to the more modern ones from University... any better than the previous version?
Screenshots
Scholar
#5 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:00 PM
That looks better. I'd suggest maybe playing about with CAS on the fencing and the front door, and maybe match the actual door section to the fence?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
That looks better. I'd suggest maybe playing about with CAS on the fencing and the front door, and maybe match the actual door section to the fence?

Oh, yeah - I haven't even touched the fence/decking yet; I just chucked it down to remind myself that it needed to be there! Matching the fences, decking, driveway and paths are next on my list!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 6:09 PM
Ok, so I've spent a good few hours working on the exterior of the house and the landscaping. Outside is pretty much finished now. What do you think? Anything that needs revising?
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 7:26 PM
Very nice! My only suggestion would be to extend the front porch roof so that you can tie the post into the porch fence using "moveobjects on". That way it won't be blocking one of the bay windows. Is the door in shadow? I wondered because the door appears darker than the fence. If they are the same wood/color, I don't know that you'd want to darken the porch fence to match or not. Totally up to you. Good work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Very nice! My only suggestion would be to extend the front porch roof so that you can tie the post into the porch fence using "moveobjects on". That way it won't be blocking one of the bay windows. Is the door in shadow? I wondered because the door appears darker than the fence. If they are the same wood/color, I don't know that you'd want to darken the porch fence to match or not. Totally up to you. Good work!

Thanks! I did actually start by having the porch roof cover the porch to the steps so that the column would be integrated into the fence, but it looks so big and bulky, so I made it smaller. I'll have another play around with it though, and see if I can make it work! The door is actually a black plastic... I was going for a 'modern plastic doors and windows on an old house' look. I've since changed it back to white plastic, to match the windows, because the black stood out too much! Thanks for all the feedback; you guys are awesome!
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 9:22 PM
Instead of changing the door back to white from black, I'd suggest finding a different colour for the door if you don't like the white. I think having the door white as well would have too much white on the façade.