Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 12:55 PM
Reattaching texture maps to an OBJ file.
Hi all,

I have a quick question!

I have an building file that has been extracted as an .obj file, along with a texture.

When I try to import it into Milkshape, it imports as only the vertices (no solids), and when I try to import it into 3dsMax, it imports without its texture.

What would be the best way to reattach the building texture to the mesh?

The file has been attached below for reference.

Thanks,
Jje1000
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Building OBJ File & Texture.rar (1.41 MB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 18th Mar 2016 at 2:47 PM
The thing that's really weird about this OBJ file is that it doesn't have the 'mesh' data but only the vertex data. In Blender, it gives me an error because it seems this is just a really rare obj file that isn't like a regular obj file. Milkshape, however, does the same thing with me as it does with yours but it doesn't have a texture attached to it. How exactly did you extract it, and with what program?

Textures are better off being attached to it if you edit it in a 3D program you're comfortable with. In Blender you have this export setting where you can say if you want to attach the textures with the Obj file. Milkshape, however, I don't think it's really possible. It doesn't export a MTL file with it, which usually holds the material files and I think also the texture files and maybe some other textures.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 2:48 AM
Ok, with aroundthesims' help, I imported it into 3dsMax, then into Milkshape and then into TSRW.

However, this issue appears now: http://modthesims.info/t/512883

Any ideas on how to solve it?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 2:37 PM
Hmm... that's a very unspecific message TSRW gives. (Not that it always does). I helped someone else out who had this issue with a car. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...150#post4945150
Although, the last reply does show that I'm not certain that it will work out. I mean the UV map.
What you could do is remove all the textures in the material tab (in milkshape) Use 'model cleaner' which you can find in the tool tab and then use 'align normals'. Align normals will give your mesh new normals (in a way).
But if you still have this issue, there is another way of doing it. It's more of a trick I used to do.
So in tools, use the directx tool. A window will pop up and only lower the polycount to like one. click okay and use align normals.

Let me know if it worked! ^-^
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 7:29 PM
lol I got it to work by using another model instead :P

This one seemed to be incompatible from the start.
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Ok, with aroundthesims' help, I imported it into 3dsMax, then into Milkshape and then into TSRW.

However, this issue appears now: http://modthesims.info/t/512883

Any ideas on how to solve it?

Hi,
That message refers to the normal map that will already be in the project you clone. It is easily fixable in most instances if you just delete the normal map in the materials tab in TSR