Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#201 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 7:23 AM
Oh, teenage romances, they are like red giants, they don't last too long and go out with a BANG! I would know. (That wasn't a sexual innuendo btw, I was just making a metaphor, clarification and magical space ponies and whatnot)

I'm sorry

Wow! everybody's submitting at the last second, well sure take your time and all, but not THAT much. wgroome's gonna have a lot of new entire to wake up to...

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#202 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
Wow! everybody's submitting at the last second, well sure take your time and all, but not THAT much. wgroome's gonna have a lot of new entire to wake up to...

LOL well there *is* an extension until Sunday...
Top Secret Researcher
#203 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 4:01 PM
oh right, 08/04/12

Since I go by month, then date, I ignored the month and said, Oh! theres gonna be an extension until today!

GTA V
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#204 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:27 PM
I didn't think about that, but yes... by 08/04 I mean the 8th April, not the 4th August. Just in case there was any confusion for people who don't use the correct system

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Scholar
#205 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
Just in case there was any confusion for people who don't use the correct system
Yes, the number of times I get thrown by people using the incorrect system... I knew you meant the 8th straight off the bat!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#206 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 8:07 PM
Contestants are dropping like flies! Thank you for the extension otherwise I was going to have to be one of them!
Lab Assistant
#207 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 8:17 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw from the contest. I'm having serious computer issues (it's only taken 3 restarts to post this message) that won't get sorted until after Easter now. I did have Round 3 nearly done annoyingly, I'll try and post them in the picture forum when my computer is fixed.

May the force be with you because you're worth it
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#208 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 9:05 PM
Phaenoh... Don't you worry, I'll keep the contest open if there's only one participant left! It is such a shame, though, when people drop out.. I'm just glad people let us know so we're not left wondering!

Top Secret Researcher
#209 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 10:32 PM
Well its not technically INCORRECT, it just like how the entire world uses metric, except the U.S, we're just the odd ones out.

GTA V
Scholar
#210 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 12:20 AM
Thanks for the extension wgroome; I wouldn't have got as satisfactory a build as I have now!

Round 3: The Montenegro Family

When Rain Montenegro first saw the house, she knew it was the place for her. The green clapboard walls, asymmetrical roof and garden-gone-wild got her creative juices flowing and she couldn't wait to move in!

The ground floor provided ample space for living, with a large lounge, kitchen in back and the all-important art studio:

The upstairs was smaller, but still gave her a decent sized bedroom and bathroom with luxury corner bath in her favourite shade:

Once her belongings were moved in and arranged to her satisfaction, the lounge looked thus:

Her much-desired studio was perfect, having space for her artist supplies as well as her easel and half-used sketchbooks. And yes, the graffiti was her doing!

The kitchen was minimalist in nature, but the funky walls and wacky worktops more than made up for it!

Not long after moving in, Rain painted two of the sculptures in her overgrown garden under various light conditions; they took pride of place on her bedroom wall. But they weren't the only feature in that room:

But Rain's second-favourite place to spend her time was her upstairs landing. After helping her unpack, Rain's sister Sarah suggested she do something with the boxes instead of just chucking them away... a flick of a paintbrush, a couple of windows let into a loft-space and some groovy lights gave her a sculpture that made everyone who saw it smile:

Rain never did "sort out" the garden - in her eyes there were much better things to do with her time; anyway, it gave her a constant source of inspiration. When she wasn't relaxing in a nice hot bath, her evenings were spent sprawled on the blow-up armchair next to her "robot family", while she pondered on her next big project. The pad and crayons she left on the adjacent coffee table came in handy...

One autumn day, she finally achieved her dream.. Visionary; the pinnacle of Artist Appreciation.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Test Subject
#211 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 7:07 AM Last edited by TheGirlAnachronism : 6th Apr 2012 at 7:26 AM. Reason: Explained in post
Hi
I'd like to join in if I may?
Is the close date for round 3 still the 8th?
I'll see if I can rustle something up by then, if not I'll contribute to the final round.
Thanks & nice to meet you all.

*Edit- if I can join in would I have any restrictions since I'd be a late joiner?

Mindie.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#212 Old 7th Apr 2012 at 12:20 PM
Sorry, TheGirlAnachronism but there's really no way you could join the contest seeing as the first two rounds are already closed and the third closes very soon! You can play along, as it were, following the rules of the contest in your own game but you can't post your entries here and they won't be judged.

retired moderator
#213 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 2:58 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 8th Apr 2012 at 10:41 PM.
I need to thank you wgroome very much for the extension. This round coincided with me returning to the US after a month and a half long trip in Europe, and then quickly jumping back into school two days later. This last week was taken up playing catch up in all my classes after missing the first week. I don't anticipate the next round to be such a trouble maker for me

After seeing that piece sticking out by itself and the nice octagon shape I knew this was my log cabin on a lake. Twins Mike and Meadow Barkworth (or Todd Oliver and Alisa May Jenson) both love the outdoors. They've always dreamed out having a beautiful log cabin home they can come back to after a long day of hiking and insect collecting. They've realized their dreams after their Nana died and left them some money. It wasn't much but together they were able to afford their little cabin.

What really sold them on this house in particular, is their little rock-quarry lake off the back porch. They adding a diving board and ladder and love cooling off in the lake. They also have a small hot springs in one corner and the lake is stocked full of fish.

The twins enjoy gardening and are trying to live as off the grid as possible.They have a small garden on the side of the house, and there are solar panels on the roof. They do have a station wagon because its quite a hike to get back to town. Now they both love a good hike, but not so much when it is part of a grocery run. Newspapers and kitchen scraps get composted to help the plants grow.

They love that their house is a traditional pine cabin, with a small but gorgeous fireplace in the living room. The cozy little cabin didn't have much room for a giant hearth, but Mike is thrilled that the woodstove is an original from the 1800s. The previous owners of the cabin had real class. The bookshelves are full of trinkets they've picked up on their trips and a few things from Nana. They each have their own easy chair to curl up in next to the fire. Sometimes Meadow will do embroidery there while Mike reads.

The bathroom is simple and in-keeping with the style of the house, and they each have their own rooms with quilts Meadow made. Mike has his bug collection and a TV to keep up to date on events and sports. Meadow has a lovely little sewing nook which she uses constantly in the evenings. She made both their quilts and the curtains throughout the cabin. She doesn't have much interest in sewing clothes for them, but as part of their dream to be entirely self-sufficient, she is learning. Making fitted shirts is much harder than just sewing back on the occasional button.

Their kitchen is a lovely little gem. Its just big enough for the two of them and they grow and cook organic as often as they can. Meadow loves spreading flowers, home-made quilts and decorations all throughout the house. Once a month, they go into town for the local farmers market and their favorite is homemade jam - strawberry and apricot.

When the weather is nice, they can eat outside on their flower porch. After dinner a porch swing overlooking the lake is nice for winding down in the evenings and just listening to the forest.

The twins go hiking every chance they get, and take camping trips on the weekends. They are very happy that they don't have to go far to the trail heads or have much time blocked out anymore to enjoy their outdoor activities. They are just getting settled in, but with the house entirely paid for, they are considering going jobless and just living life as they believe it should be lived - as close to nature as possible. The house with more photos is available for download.
Instructor
#214 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 3:21 AM
Round 4 - Rain Montenegro

For Raina Montenegro (yes I'm renaming her a tiny bit), I really wanted to do something different. Being the struggling artist that she is, she can't really afford a single family home. So she's renting an apartment in the Oasis Apartment Building. The landscaping of the building has a desert like feel, with a small pond, "oasis," in the back, even though it's situated in a lush green neighborhood.

Raina's apartment is on the left. The potential neighbor's apartment is on the right. A complete mirror image of her apartment.

The landlord is pretty flexible and allows his tenants to have a custom hobby room if they want one. Raina loves hers dedicated to her various art projects. She even got a sink installed for quicker clean ups.

She loves her bright green kitchen.

Her living/dining room area is perfect for her - and a couple of friends to hang out.

Her art studio is good enough for her to work on her projects.

This is where she rests after a long day of work.

And she'll sometimes gather inspiration from the "oasis" in the back as well as from walking around the neighborhood.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#215 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 4:57 AM
Default Round 3: The Lewis Family
So after moving 2 times (first out of their round 2 home, then out of a different round 3 home, because I change my mind a lot) Layton and Lucinda Lewis found the perfect home. Lucinda knew when she saw it and it brought back fond memories of summers at her grandmothers in Mexico, that it was the home for them. The girls could finally have their own rooms, and Layton and Lucinda finally had their own bathroom!

The simple landscaping (meaning less yard work) was a draw, as well as the pool and patio with built in bbq area.

The first floor opens into a small foyer and slightly raised living room to the left. Large eat-in kitchen. Laundry room off of the half bath.

Second floor. The three girls' rooms and their bathroom. The master bedroom with en suite bathroom.

Lucinda had a wonderful time decorating the new house. She absolutely loves the new "Through the Years" photo arrangements for the girls.

kitchen with hand tiled table and slightly mismatched chairs.

Lara decorated her room in her teams colors and hung pictures of all her favorite athletes.

Leanne wanted a classic look to compliment all of her classic literature.

Lorrie's love of music definitely shows in her choice of decor.

*totally unimportant side note* When the Lewis family moved from their Victorian they were living in for the first part of round 3 they got rid of their St Bernard and got an English Mastiff. (They had a St Bernard because I made some victorian paintings for the old house with Bernies and kids, but for some reason the St Bernard just didn't feel right with the new house. Sounds weird I know, but I'm weird so, hey, lol)
retired moderator
#216 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
When the Lewis family moved from their Victorian they were living in for the first part of round 3 they got rid of their St Bernard and got an English Mastiff. They had a St Bernard because I made some victorian paintings for the old house with Bernies and kids, but for some reason the St Bernard just didn't feel right with the new house.
Poor puppy! Too many people give up pets when they move, and now its happening in Sims as well?>!? Please tell me that they at least found a new family for their tired-of pet.

(irl, my kitty just went through tummy surgery. We could have lost her to a tumor blocking her intestines preventing her from keeping any food down. Luckily she is back home again now and very hungrily eating, and more importantly, not throwing it back up. She lost half her body weight during this crisis!)
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#217 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 1:56 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 8th Apr 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Poor puppy! Too many people give up pets when they move, and now its happening in Sims as well?>!? Please tell me that they at least found a new family for their tired-of pet.

(irl, my kitty just went through tummy surgery. We could have lost her to a tumor blocking her intestines preventing her from keeping any food down. Luckily she is back home again now and very hungrily eating, and more importantly, not throwing it back up. She lost half her body weight during this crisis!)

Yay your kitty is feeling better. And actually she still lives with the other Lewis family in the Victorian because the family also got a little bit of an overhaul with this move, lol.
I hate that in the sims 3 you can't edit a family in the bin like you can in 2... so many times it has irritated me. This was one of them.
Instructor
#218 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 11:43 PM
Default Round Three entry - Barkworth
For Mike and Meadow Barkworth we have a lovely, rustic cabin tucked into the foothills on the very outskirts of SimCity:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...CEIv5%2BZYOw%3D

This simple, single-floor home contains a large living/dining area with antique fixtures and a stone fireplace, a sizeable bedroom with adjoining bath, a small back porch that's perfect for stowing plants, and a flat space for gardening.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...3nusoR9%2Blk%3D

Upon moving in, Meadow gets straight to work quilting and sewing, and many of her creations adorn the walls (and bed) of the new home. Mike, a craftsman, adds his own touches--homemade bookcases and a small set of birdhouses, perfect for attracting wildlife to their big backyard! (decor pictures attached)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#219 Old 9th Apr 2012 at 12:12 AM Last edited by wgroome : 9th Apr 2012 at 9:25 AM.
Round 3 is now closed!

Once all the scores are in, I will post them here and then PM the feedback to each of you individually. Please don't ask when the judging will be completed, because I don't know... but as soon as I can, I will publish the scores!

In the mean time, start thinking about your Round 4 entry, if you haven't started (or finished!) it already. Round 4 will be closing in a week and a bit's time - Wednesday 18th April.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#220 Old 9th Apr 2012 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
In the mean time, start thinking about your Round 4 entry, if you haven't started (or finished!) it already. Round 4 will be closing in a week and a bit's time - Sunday 18th April.

Not to nit pick, but I believe you mean Wednesday 18th April...
Test Subject
#221 Old 9th Apr 2012 at 5:10 PM
Man, I wish I knew about the contest earlier, I would've signed up in a heartbeat! xD Nice houses everyone!
Scholar
#222 Old 9th Apr 2012 at 6:00 PM
Default Round 4- Montenegro Family
I just want to say thanks for running this contest, I've had a lot of fun and I've certainly enjoyed looking at all the fabulous houses everyone has done. I really just wanted to improve my building skills and to finally learn how to put on a stupid roof without using autoroof. Well I did finally learn that and a lot more as well. I've been very busy rebuilding and making over lots in my hood and have bulldozed some very unattractive houses for which my Sims are very grateful.

Now on to round 4.

On a tight budget Rain Montenegro was lucky to find a little house on the outskirts of town. The yard is a bit overgrown, the bathroom a little old and the floors certainly could stand to be refinished, still Rain fell in love with the house once she saw the floor to ceiling windows in the back room overlooking the terrace and little pond.

She had to buy most of her furniture at flea markets and yard sales and it all doesn't exactly match but she doesn't spend much time out of her studio anyway. One of these days she might get around to dealing with the overgrown and weedy yard but for now she's happy to paint it as is.

She has a few finished canvases about the place and hopefully one of these days she will actually sell on of them.

Front of the house:

Back view:

One floor:

The studio:

Bedroom:

Living area:

Eat in kitchen: (the mini fridge is a full fridge)

Bathroom:
Scholar
#223 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 11:38 AM
This competition is going really well =D
Keep it up guys and girls =) You all doing a wonderful job =)

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#224 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 3:05 PM Last edited by wgroome : 12th Apr 2012 at 5:06 PM.
Round 3 Scores

Here are the scores for Round 3. You can sort by family or sort the scores in ascending or descending order using the arrows at the top of each column. If you spot a mathematical discrepancy, please PM me! ) The judges' order is not necessarily the same order as the main contest post, but each set of scores is consistent (the Judge 1 column contains scores from the same judge) and remains the same from the first round scores.
ContestantFamilyJudge 1Judge 2Judge 3TotalGrand Total
aaries16Lewis20 (7/4/9)19 (7/4/8)17 (5/2/10)56170
ForeverCampBarkworth19 (7/4/8)17 (7/3/7)22 (9/4/9)58179
sandymdhGravel19 (7/5/7)20 (8/4/8)18 (8/2/8)57190
Riptide651Montenegro23 (9/5/9)21 (8/4/8)23 (8/2/8)67197
whiteriderLewis17 (7/3/7)19 (8/3/8)20 (7/3/10)56194
PhaenohBarkworth24 (9/5/10)21 (9/4/8)24 (10/5/9)69205
armielMontenegro24 (9/5/10)23 (9/5/9)24 (9/5/10)71210
jones7659Lewis20 (8/4/8)19 (8/4/7)22 (8/4/10)61186
ClashfanBarkworth22 (8/5/9)17 (7/3/7)22 (9/4/9)61165
katalina522Barkworth20 (7/5/8)16 (6/3/7)20 (8/4/8)56181
JaguwarBarkworth25 (10/5/10)19 (8/4/7)23 (9/5/9)67198
lipe2kBarkworth22 (8/5/9)19 (8/3/8)20 (8/3/9)61189
SulyukiBarkworth23 (9/5/9)19 (7/4/8)23 (9/5/9)65188
triciamanlyMontenegro17 (6/4/7)16 (6/3/7)19 (6/3/10)52149
Rosebud1773Montenegro17 (6/4/7)15 (6/3/6)18 (5/3/10)50147
Selly_2009Montenegro20 (8/4/8)16 (6/3/7)18 (6/3/9)54163
So that's Round 3 over with... Bring on the rest of the Round 4 entries! Round 4 closes on Wednesday 18th April.

retired moderator
#225 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 5:11 PM
Not trying to be pokey or pushy at all, but are we getting Judges' Comments for this last round?

Page 9 of 11