Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:02 AM Last edited by quweenie : 4th Oct 2017 at 12:31 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Blue flashing only in hood view (not due to lacking CC) and apartment question
Hello, I have 2 different questions for the wise people here:

1) Some of my lots are partly flashing blue, but only in neighborhood view. When I enter them, they're fine. It's an entire section of the lot flashing (like a huge rectangular area, but not the entire lot- usually it's the area of the lot next to the street). It's happening with all kinds of lots- lots that I built myself and packaged, lots with no CC that I downloaded, lots with CC that I downloaded. Other lots are completely fine. Even more strange, some lots don't flash blue at first when I pull them out of the lot catalogue and place them, but then after entering them and making some changes and saving, some partly flash blue afterwards. Others flash blue right when I pull them out of the bin. Help? I've never had this problem and it's ruining my entire neighborhood with all the ugly huge blue flashing bits.

(I play the Utimate Collection, in case it's important)

2) I downloaded an apartment lot (a skyscraper) and started changing it in build and buy mode (before moving anyone in to the apartment). But then I read this on sims.wikia:
"Do not use the boolProp aptBaseLotSpecificToolsDisabled false cheat to make structural changes, such as building walls or stairs, while the lot is zoned as an apartment of any kind. This will result in inconsistency with the apartment "base lot" and apartment "sub lots", and could possibly corrupt the lot."

Does this mean my lot is already potentially corrupted? Or does this only apply to lots with sims living in them? I downloaded the lot as an apartment, placed it, and edited it, but I never moved anyone in. I always knew you weren't supposed to use cheats in occupied apartments to make changes, but the quote above makes it sound as if the lot being zoned as an apartment while I was re-structuring it was already a big mistake. Should I have changed the lot to a residential one before changing anything or is it fine as long as no one's moved in yet?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:14 AM
1) Could be CC that's not updated to Seasons, particularly if the problem happens during autumn/winter and most frequently happens to trees/bushes or other plants, or objects based on plants. Could probably also be CC with LOD (low-definition meshes) issues, where the LOD doesn't pick up the texture properly. Blue flashing usually means there's a missing or improperly linked texture, and happens often for improperly slaved meshes or other objects with bad texture references of some kind. Sometimes the object will show fine while on the lot even if there is something wrong in the texture references - it depends where the texture problem is.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
1) Could be CC that's not updated to Seasons, particularly if the problem happens during autumn/winter and most frequently happens to trees/bushes or other plants, or objects based on plants. Could probably also be CC with LOD (low-definition meshes) issues, where the LOD doesn't pick up the texture properly. Blue flashing usually means there's a missing or improperly linked texture, and happens often for improperly slaved meshes or other objects with bad texture references of some kind. Sometimes the object will show fine while on the lot even if there is something wrong in the texture references - it depends where the texture problem is.

I know that blue flashing is usually a CC issue, but it also happens on lots with no CC (I installed with Clean Installer and there was no CC in there) and lots I recently built myself in game, so the necessary CC should be there as well.
Also, it's not specific items that are flashing blue, but big rectangular areas (like one third or one quarter of the lot), usally the part closest to the street like I said. I've been wondering if my new neighborhood grass replacement is to blame (maybe it doesn't play well with my replacement roads?), but then again other lots are fine and some lots flash right out of the bin, so that theory doesn't make much sense either.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:31 AM
You're not using or haven't used a terrain paint whcih you've subsequently deleted?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 1:08 AM
With number 2, it's best to change the lot zoning to residential before making any changes to it. The cheat is glitchy, sims on the lot or not.

I have some trees which flash blue in hood view but are fine on the actual lot, although yours seems a further reaching problem. I was going to suggest terrain paint although if you downloaded or built a cc free lot nothing should flash blue. Perhaps you need to make a backup and fix your game in Origin.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 6:53 AM
@maxon
Not that I know of. At least the Clean Installer didn't show anything but the lot itself. And I definitely didn't use any terrain paints on the lot I made myself.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
With number 2, it's best to change the lot zoning to residential before making any changes to it. The cheat is glitchy, sims on the lot or not.

I have some trees which flash blue in hood view but are fine on the actual lot, although yours seems a further reaching problem. I was going to suggest terrain paint although if you downloaded or built a cc free lot nothing should flash blue. Perhaps you need to make a backup and fix your game in Origin.

But if I turn the lot to residential before changing anything and then turn the lot into an apartment again it should be safe, right?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:20 AM
Yes, changing zoning with no sims on a lot is perfectly safe. Never change zoning with sims on a lot though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by quweenie
I've been wondering if my new neighborhood grass replacement is to blame

Have you tested without this mod? It seems a likely candidate as the grass texture shows through under the lots in CaNH.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 4:35 PM
Grass/terrain usually don't flash blue (unless the file for the terrain has been removed from your downloads without removing it from the lot first), so I'd guess it's a problem with the mod.