Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:17 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My sims flash pink!
Hello. Basically the problem is that when I install this mod https://pineapple5050.tumblr.com/po...t-skyfix21-pond

Suddenly all my sims are flashing pink, but when I remove one of the two files of the mod, one that says "Depth Texture", my sims are back to normal, but the mod doesn't work completely. I don't know if that has something to do with my graphic card (which is Nvidia 920, and I'm not sure if it reconizes it either). I really want this mod to work and I tried to contact the creator of this mod but it has been no use. Could someone please help me?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:38 AM
Flashing pink stuff is usually a sign that your graphics card is overloaded. It may not be powerful enough to handle that mod.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Flashing pink stuff is usually a sign that your graphics card is overloaded. It may not be powerful enough to handle that mod.

Well it doesn't make sense then. I have an Nvidia GTX 960. Your saying that is not capable of running a sims 2 game? I don't get it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:28 AM
Flashing pink textures happens when the game runs out of video memory. Check post #6 here: https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=598280 - specifically the one about video memory, though the 4GB patch won't hurt matters.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:34 AM
Nvidia 920m? That is a low end card so it's unlikely to be able to play sims 2 well on high settings let alone cope with high graphic demanding water or sky mods.
https://www.quora.com/What-games-ca...ia-GeForce-920m

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 7:11 AM
You wrote in your first post that you have an NVIDIA 920, then wrote that you had an NVIDIA 960 GTX. Both are quite different! The first one may have a tough time with your game; the second should be able to handle it.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
You wrote in your first post that you have an NVIDIA 920, then wrote that you had an NVIDIA 960 GTX. Both are quite different! The first one may have a tough time with your game; the second should be able to handle it.

Yeah I'm sorry I typed it wrong. It's 960 GTX,
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Nvidia 920m? That is a low end card so it's unlikely to be able to play sims 2 well on high settings let alone cope with high graphic demanding water or sky mods.
https://www.quora.com/What-games-ca...ia-GeForce-920m

No I'm sorry, I typed it wrong. It's a Nvidia GTX 960.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 12:00 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Nov 2017 at 1:12 AM.
I'd assume your graphic card isn't powerful enough to manage the mod.

The pink-flashing is technically more a memory (and by extension a "too much CC and/or heavy lots and/or "TooMuchGraphicInformationSTOPITAAARGH!*poop*ArightI'mFine-ishButWhyAreYouLookingAtMeLikeThat?") issue than a "OMGmyGraphicCardIsFailingHELP!!!" graphics card issue (those tend to be red for shader issues, and/or things like graphic pixelly blobs or very slow reaction time for a failing card). It happens because the game runs out of video memory and dumps texture memory and such, leading to the meshes not properly reading the meshes and textures. The 4GB patch helps, and so does using less heavy lots and less CC ingame.

The issue is somewhat reversible ingame, and you can continue playing for a while, but if the problem takes over the best thing is to quit your game without saving. I may have saved once when it happened to me (possibly by accident), and the next time everything ingame flashed pink. A backup fixed it, though. I've had the issue on one of my computers for a while, but mostly on a few particularly large/CC-heavy lots or during snow. If I avoid those scenarios, my game works quite well without any pink-flashing. A few of the pics in the Youtube video from post #6 in the fix-it thread are mine (Theraven) - some of the pics are several years old, and I've been playing quite a lot after that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 12:27 AM
Are you on a laptop? If so I would check that your game is actually using your card because it might be using the chip.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:43 AM
Are you on a laptop? If so I would check that your game is actually using your card because it might be using the chip.

Yes I am in a laptop. How do I check that?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I'd assume your graphic card isn't powerful enough to manage the mod.

The pink-flashing is technically more a memory (and by extension a "too much CC and/or heavy lots and/or "TooMuchGraphicInformationSTOPITAAARGH!*poop*ArightI'mFine-ishButWhyAreYouLookingAtMeLikeThat?") issue than a "OMGmyGraphicCardIsFailingHELP!!!" graphics card issue (those tend to be red for shader issues, and/or things like graphic pixelly blobs or very slow reaction time for a failing card). It happens because the game runs out of video memory and dumps texture memory and such, leading to the meshes not properly reading the meshes and textures. The 4GB patch helps, and so does using less heavy lots and less CC ingame.

The issue is somewhat reversible ingame, and you can continue playing for a while, but if the problem takes over the best thing is to quit your game without saving. I may have saved once when it happened to me (possibly by accident), and the next time everything ingame flashed pink. A backup fixed it, though. I've had the issue on one of my computers for a while, but mostly on a few particularly large/CC-heavy lots or during snow. If I avoid those scenarios, my game works quite well without any pink-flashing. A few of the pics in the Youtube video from post #6 in the fix-it thread are mine (Theraven) - some of the pics are several years old, and I've been playing quite a lot after that.

Nvidia 960 GTX is not powerful enough..? How can that be if I can play PS4 games like Batman Arkham Knight for example, or I'm confused?

The problem only happens when I install the mod.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:45 AM

Maybe the problem is caused because my game does not reconize my Nvidia graphic card?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 3:53 AM
Try this https://steamcommunity.com/app/2232...24466478653678/ its a common problem. Also the thing to remember with sims 2 is it's an old game, it runs better on single or dual core rather than the more modern 4 or more core. Some graphics cards are simply too modern for it as well and need tweaking with graphic rules.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:49 AM
@IOwnALego111

Delete the thumbnails folder in your game folder and restart your game - as advised here on Leefish - worked for me.
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7705
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 6:24 AM
That too ^ but do make sure your game is using your graphics card and not the chip if you have both.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 7:34 AM
True - but in my case, I see a pink flash once every 6 months or so and just delete the thumbnails.
The water mod has worked fine in my game, though (I removed it because I tend to forget to build small swimming pools).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 8:15 AM
I usually place a square of pool someplace then use move objects and cover it with a few plants.

I wonder if that's a win 10 thing, I have never deleted thumbnails.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 10:23 AM
I have used the pool and plants (like in your contest) - but decided it was too much trouble. And I actually like the Maxi blue water!

As for the thumbnails - I don't think it is a Windows 10 thing; because I know why my game generates too many thumbnails at times. It is because I sometimes download too many clothes and hair at once, and then find that there are meshes and recolors missing - and then I delete those one by one from CAS. (I have sort of stopped adding too many files to my game a while ago).

The pink flashing is not happening that often in my game and months or even years can go by between pink flashing sims, but deleting the thumbnails works every time.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:21 PM
Did you make your graphics card compatible for the game? I doubt that will cause the pink flashing, though.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:30 PM
@gazania - I had to do some graphic rules changes, of course - but I don't really think it is that in my game (since the deleting thumbnails advice helps for me and it is really not something that happens often).
As for the OP, I can't say - but trying to delete the thumbnails can't do any harm, and it works for me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
Did you make your graphics card compatible for the game? I doubt that will cause the pink flashing, though.

I've tried everything I can to make it reconize my graphic card. I don't even know if it did or not, how I'm supposed to know if it reconizes it? I went to the Nvidia control panel and did the configurations, I added my graphic card into the the VideoCard file in Sims 2 game folder, etc, ntohing works.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:03 PM
That too ^ but do make sure your game is using your graphics card and not the chip if you have both.

How? I already did the Nvidia control panel thing and I added my graphic card in the videocard file in the game's folder, and I've also used Graphic Rules Maker. Nothing seems to work
Mad Poster
#24 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 12:24 AM
You also need to edit the graphics rule file to allow the game access to more video memory. This video is a good tutorial how to do it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 12:58 AM
I usually place a square of pool someplace then use move objects and cover it with a few plants.

I wonder if that's a win 10 thing, I have never deleted thumbnails.

I have an idea. Since the mod is the cause of the problem, and the thing that flashes pink is only the sims, then instead of finding the solution in my laptop, I just have to delete the part that effects the sim only, so the mod affects everything exept my sims. The problem is, I don't know how to do it. And I know where to edit it but I don't what to delete or modify. Could you help me with that?
Page 1 of 2