Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 12:58 PM
Default Setting up I.K. in Blender to speed up animation time?
Hi guys,

Has anyone been able to successfully set up IK constraints in Blender?
I have been using the excellent rigs over at sims3cliptool for making custom animations. I am loving it, but it does take a very long time (hours) to make a realistic-looking animation.

I am a newbie, and have only been able to add hand and finger constraints so far. This has helped speed up animation a little bit. However, my attempts at adding constraints on the legs have been terrible (either resulting in a sim-pretzel or crazy-spinning-pinwheel legs), but I think this is largely due to the fact I really have no idea what I am doing.

The animations I am making are for movies only, I'm not making them for gameplay, not sure if that makes a difference to how it is rigged or not

Anyone have any advice/suggestions? Any help is appreciated
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 6:10 PM
The problem is that sims rigs use pole as targets that aren't visible in Blender. So its kinda hard to duplicate the setup(sims rigs are pretty weird anyway).

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:02 AM
Thanks for the tip on pole targets, cmo.
The rig does seem very complicated (for me it was quite overwhelming to see all these hidden bones appear in "edit" mode).
Oh well. I'll keep studying Blender tutorials anyway and try and increase my understanding of it.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 10th Jun 2013 at 9:36 AM
Please share if you find anything useful, Ingridtk.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 5:55 AM
@lenglel. Sure thing I don't rate my chances of success very high (as I'm still a beginner) but if I do discover anything helpful I'll post here.
Test Subject
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ingridtk
@lenglel. Sure thing I don't rate my chances of success very high (as I'm still a beginner) but if I do discover anything helpful I'll post here.

Hi, I started to set up the Inverse Kinematics too, and as you all said it's terrible, horrible, awful and so on... But I don' give up . For now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2013 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Attila
Hi, I started to set up the Inverse Kinematics too, and as you all said it's terrible, horrible, awful and so on... But I don' give up . For now.

That's great you're trying let us know how it goes.

Sadly, I gave up a while ago
One big problem I had (that I couldn't figure out) was the sims knee's would "lock" and I couldn't bend them. The foot would move, the hip would move, but the knee wouldn't bend.

Anyway, I hope you have more success. IK on the Blender rigs would be absolutely amazing!
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 12:54 PM
Well I have started to build a second skeleton, but it isn't work correctly. The animation starts to play but then it freezes randomly . Any idea why?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  IK.rar (6.32 MB, 110 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#9 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 7:28 AM
Well I have figured out...
Pose player.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2013 at 7:42 AM
Oh, I see. Yep, gotta use animation player

I downloaded your rig, you have definitely gotten further than me. Good job so far
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Dec 2013 at 1:28 PM
There's an experimental i.k. rig for Blender over at the Simlogical forums if you guys want to check it out. It works quite well once you get the hang of it:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...d2&topic=2425.0
Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 7:25 AM
I know this is super old now but does anyone happen to have a rig that's already set up with IK? I've been trying to do it my self for hours but it's not working