Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:52 AM
Default Just out of Curiosity
Just a question something I notice a member was asking for in WCIF, which cause me to wonder about other members option for playing.
The question : Would you rather like to play the Sims in your game with their Over Head Plumbobs or without the Plumbobs over their head ?

I Try it without, but I am so use to seeing their Plumbobs I am not sure if I should leave or go without. Please share your opinions.
To be honest I never knew it was possible to removed until today For anyone that is interest and removing the Sims Plumbobs go to WCIF, there is a link.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:57 AM
Ah, I prefer to play with the plumbbobs over their heads. I'd feel lost and wouldn't know who is the active sim or where they are so easily. It just feels very confusing to me.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:58 AM Last edited by gazania : 21st Mar 2017 at 2:11 AM.
I've removed them temporarily via cheats for a picture or two, but I prefer them on otherwise. It doesn't seem like the Sims without plumbobs!

Generally, plumbobs don't bother me. They are helpful in seeing which Sim needs some attention (sometimes while playing, I'll get so involved with a character that I neglect another one), I like the shape, and I think they're kinda pretty. Also, while mods are wonderful and I have many, I find that using them can be tricky. In getting rid of one feature, you might find yourself with something else that is undesirable; a missing menu item, for instance. My view is that unless the behavior really, really annoys me or the mod is what we consider essential, one should be careful about getting too crazy with mods. Plumbobs don't annoy me, and I don't consider their disappearance essential.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:03 AM
I use Ja's mods. I do sometimes lose families since I have no plumbobs showing above the houses. before I had that I would do the cheat plumbob off every time I loaded.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#5 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:09 AM
I prefer not to see them just because I take so many pics and they annoy me when they show up in pics along with speech bubbles, plus signs and other artifacts. I found Ja's mod a few months ago and I think it's handy for removing one more cheat I would otherwise have to type in all the time for storytelling pics. My sister prefers it though, she came over to play and minorly freaked out thinking all the sims were gone went she went to the neighborhood. It's also handy to have them around for a quick assessment of mood (via plumbob color)and to know who is selected as the active sim.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#6 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:21 AM
I prefer without a plumbob over the head, it saves on video processing. I can always check the mood of the Sim at a glance with the color background behind their heads in the squares to the left.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:37 AM
Well thank you all, I have decided to keep Plumbobs, I have been playing with them for so many years ( 2006 ) it make little sense for me to remove at this late stage.
Plus I might forget who is the active Sims and I don't want to lose a families, but I can see it being use for pictures.
Well since Sims Mod are hard to find sometime I will just save it ,but not use it. Thanks everyone

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 4:01 AM
I prefer plumbbobs and if I'm taking a pic I just click on a Sim who's not in the pic and the plumbbob is gone.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 4:10 AM
I have them off. I'm so used to having them off that it's weird when I do a new game folder or whatever and my hacks are all not there.

If you click on the houses/apartments you can see who's where. I haven't lost anyone yet! Just occasionally mislaid someone for a few moments.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 5:45 AM
I didn't even realize this was an option, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it. I'm so used to the Plumbobs being there.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 8:52 AM
Plumbbos always! I just may lose the sim I am playing without it - especially in large households, where I really have to find the twin that needs to be potty trained very quickly!
Inventor
#12 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:19 AM
I knew it was possible to remove them with a mod, but never did so far.
Sometimes it could be handy if you want to take pictures but there isn't another sim around you could select so that thing doesn't appear on the sim you want to take the picture from.
I do find it somewhat annoying to have them 'in the way' then or when I take the picture and forgot I still had that sim selected so the plumbob is in the picture too, sigh.
But to not have them at all at all times? Hm, not ready for that apparently since they still have their plumbobs.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:24 AM
I've never had any issues in a lot with no plumbobs, I am always scrolling through sims, whether they had a plumbbob or not. The hood one I thought of removing when I lost that one couple but I couldn't find where I had tossed the mod. But I like the no plumbobs for hood pictures.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:34 AM
I've thought about removing them ever since I started playing, but I've never actually done it. And, the longer I play, the more used to them I get. In fact now I sometimes find myself deliberately including a speech bubble in a picture, so you can all see what my Sims were talking about.

It was the plumbbobs and other funny things above their heads that first made me realise that they weren't real people in these videos I was seeing on YouTube, and that it must be some game. So I made it my business to find out what game it was, so I could play it too!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 11:08 AM
Speech bubbles yes, those can add to a picture, plumbbobs no.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#16 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 12:53 PM
It's the "skilling meters" that really annoy(ed) me

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 12:53 PM
I've used Ja's "noplumbbobs" hack (on pixels and the neighborhood) for at least as long as it's been available-at least 5 years. I know it's very distracting to have them in a picture, and I don't need to be reminded that these are pixels, thank you very much...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
It's the "skilling meters" that really annoy(ed) me
I usually find that the skilling meters are sufficiently high above their heads to be out of shot, and I find myself zooming out to check how they're getting on.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#19 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:27 PM
I don't mind the Plumbob, even because I don't shot so many pics... The problem is that in the late EPs it's so easy to have the platinum aspiration that it's useless to recognize which Sims needs attention :/
Scholar
#20 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:46 PM
I’m used to plumbbobs, they don’t bother me. While taking a screenshot I either choose an angle so it isn’t visible, select a different sim, or don’t care at all, after all, they aren’t ugly so I don’t mind them much.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:46 PM
I remove Plumbobs for pictures (or at least swap sim so they're not in shot) but in general I prefer them being there. It just makes it easier for me to know which sim I'm playing, especially when I'm on TAB mode. Plus, I guess it's iconic. I'm so use to it being there, that it would be weird without it. When I think "Sims", I think "Plumbobs above heads".

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:14 PM
Just use the toggle cheat when necessary. I like them!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#23 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:56 PM
If I should ever, ever, ever need to remove a plumbbob for taking a pic - I will do so, and put the plumbbob back right after!

If you are used to or don't mind playing without them, all fine with me. I just do not WANT to
Theorist
#25 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 3:44 PM
I don't have any particular opinion on the Plumbob. It doesn't bother me but I'm not a specific "plumbob fan" either.

I keep it in the game because I like that it marks the location of the Sim I'm currently controlling. It's practical and functional.
Page 1 of 2