Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 4:02 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Roommate not appearing anywhere on lot
Hi,

I just had my Sim place an ad for a roommate and I accepted one over the phone, but said roommate is not appearing anywhere. His icon is visible and so the game thinks he is part of the household but when I click on it to locate him, he is nowhere to be seen. It is like he doesn't exist.

Is this unusual? Roommates are supposed to actually appear right? I've not actually done this before. One thing that did happen was that as soon as I accepted the roommate, I got an error message and my existing Sim (who accepted it) jumped and reset. I just assumed it hadn't worked then saw the new roommate's icon but he is nowhere to be seen physically.

I tried 'force error' on the mailbox to see if that would do anything but nope.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 4:07 PM
Try using a teleporter to summon the sim to the lot. It sounds like he's stuck offworld.

I use the cat one here:
http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:27 PM
Does sound like he's stuck but are you sure he's not at work? Because they do go off lot to work.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#4 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:03 PM
not sure, but either debugger hack (Pescado's or CJ's) might have a fix for this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 10:55 AM
Thanks for your replies - he suddenly just appeared which was odd! His motives went very low and then it said he was running errands then he appeared on the lot.

Thing is, I'd actually like him to move out now but when I get my main Sim to click on him to bring up the menu, it glitches and says there's an error so it seems I am stuck with him at present. I wull try the debugger hack, thank you
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 11:10 AM
Assuming that you're using mods in your game, I'm going to guess you have a mod conflict somewhere, not a "glitch." It's giving you an error when you click on the roommate, which is a pretty telltale symptom of a mod conflict. This is probably why the roommate initially acted strangely and will likely continue to do so.

To see if this is the case, make a backup of your neighborhoods. (Just copy/paste the Neighborhoods folder in Documents/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 -- or whatever the equivalent file path is if you have the UC -- to your desktop.) Then, drag your Downloads folder to your desktop. Load up the game. (It should be very quick, since you've just temporarily removed all your CC.) Go into the lot and see if you can successfully click on the roommate. If you still can't, then the problem is not CC-based. If you can, then you know you've got a mod conflict somewhere. Do a 50/50 with just your mods, as that's the mostly likely culprit. (Again, it'll be quick with no other CC in your game.) Then, decide what to do to resolve the conflict -- either try changing load order or just delete one of the conflicting mods. Then, put your Downloads folder back in, restore the backups you made of your neighborhoods, and see if you can now click on the roommate without an error.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Assuming that you're using mods in your game, I'm going to guess you have a mod conflict somewhere, not a "glitch." It's giving you an error when you click on the roommate, which is a pretty telltale symptom of a mod conflict. This is probably why the roommate initially acted strangely and will likely continue to do so.

To see if this is the case, make a backup of your neighborhoods. (Just copy/paste the Neighborhoods folder in Documents/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 -- or whatever the equivalent file path is if you have the UC -- to your desktop.) Then, drag your Downloads folder to your desktop. Load up the game. (It should be very quick, since you've just temporarily removed all your CC.) Go into the lot and see if you can successfully click on the roommate. If you still can't, then the problem is not CC-based. If you can, then you know you've got a mod conflict somewhere. Do a 50/50 with just your mods, as that's the mostly likely culprit. (Again, it'll be quick with no other CC in your game.) Then, decide what to do to resolve the conflict -- either try changing load order or just delete one of the conflicting mods. Then, put your Downloads folder back in, restore the backups you made of your neighborhoods, and see if you can now click on the roommate without an error.

Thanks iCad, that's really detailed info. I actually loaded up the lot again without entering boolprop testingcheatsenabled true as an experiment and that must have done the trick as I found I was able to click on the roommate and bring up the interactions. I've not had that issue before (and I always use the cheat) so I guess there must be the potential for errors with that cheat!

I didn't know how to do what you advised though so I will remember it for if I have any future conflicts - thank you
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 2:26 PM
No, it's not that the error went away or that the cheat caused the error (it doesn't do that); it's just that by turning off debug mode (testingcheatsenabled), you no longer get the error messages. There is still something wrong somewhere, but you're just not realizing it because you're not seeing the underlying errors. If you can still play things normally, then I suppose it's OK, but you might find that you have more issues down the road. The roommate's odd behavior is probably a symptom of that. But, if you can live with things as they are, then you don't necessarily need to track down the problem. But, sometimes these things can snowball, so it's good to know what to do if that happens.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.