Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:21 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 24th Mar 2019 at 8:11 PM.
Default List of TS4 Tutorials
--

See also:

For a list of tools and resources, see the sticky in Tools.

EAxian modding documentation can be found here: forum thread | zip <-- one needs to be logged in at EA to access that forum

Tutorials lists on the wiki
Maxis Info Index at EA forums

--

CAS - Sims 4 Studio collection of CAS-related tutorials

Sims4Studio — CAS and pose tutorials (brujah, orangemittens, many others): forum link
Includes recoloring, changing flags etc., and meshing with Blender

CAS — Recoloring (Clothing)

TS4 CAS Tools: Recolouring (plasticbox): thread in this forum (CAS Tools screens have changed somewhat due to game patches, but otherwise everything in the tutorial is valid.)
Simple Retexturing with Photoshop (BlackGarden): Article at Platinum Simmers (Ignore the part about Color Magic, which is obsolete - the texturing tips are useful)
PhotoShop Recolouring tutorial (JSBoutique): tumblr post
How to convert adult clothing for children using Sim 4 Studio and Photoshop (texture conversion only) by Kiara Zurk: Video tutorial

CAS — Recoloring (Hair, Eyes, Make-up)

Custom tattoos for TS4 (Simssalabim): tumblr post
Eye defaults for TS4 (Astraea Nevermore): tumblr post (Note that recent versions of s4pe have been updated to correctly identify and import RLE textures.)
Making custom eyelashes/mascaras (Vampire_aninyosaloh): thread in this forum

CAS — Recoloring (General)

Adding Transparency Using GIMP and CAS Tools (cmar): post in this forum
Adding Shine Using GIMP and CAS Tools (The Simple Way) (by cmar): post in this forum
Adding Glow Using GIMP and CAS Tools (cmar): post in this forum
How to Recolour fast and easy (With tips&tricks!) (Lyralei): post in this forum
Seamless pattern tutorial | Photoshop (RockChick/Neen): video on YouTube (Ignore the references to TS3-specific tools - applies for TS4 as well, since it’s about the pattern making itself)
Multi-channel image editing (RLES, shadows etc) with Paint.net and friends (plasticbox): thread in this forum
Editing specular images with Gimp (s3nova): thread in this forum

Note that for the actual texturing, tutorials for TS2 may still apply (particularly if you are using an older version of Photoshop).

CAS — Genetics

Proper genetics for non-default eyes (Helianthea): post in this forum
Creating a custom skintone with TS4 Skininator (CmarNYC): thread in this forum

CAS — Flags and sorting

TS4 CASTools: Flag edits | Gender, randomness, categories, etc (plasticbox): thread in this forum
Hair F-to-M Gender conversion (Soloriya): post on tumblr

Meshing — General

Beginner's Guide to blender: instructables.com (blender 2.63)
blender.org: Tutorials section
Blender tutorial links: thread at sims-studio.proboards.com

Meshing — CAS

Free Marvelous Designer Renaissance Dress Video Tutorial Workshop (Camille Kleinman): Video tutorial
Editing a Hair Mesh using CAS Tools and Milkshape (Kiara Zurk): Video tutorial on YouTube
Meshing for TS4 using 3ds Max (coloresurbanos): List of video tutorials THESE TUTORIALS ARE IN SPANISH

CAS - Conversion

Converting a TS3 dress to TS4 using CAS Tools, Milkshape, and GIMP: Tutorial
Converting a TS3 hair to TS4 using CAS Tools, Milkshape, and GIMP, plus alpha mesh tricks: Tutorial
How to convert an adult mesh for child using Sims 4 Studio and Blender, by Kiara Zurk: Video tutorial
How to convert an adult hair for children using Sims 4 Studio and Blender, by Kiara Zurk: Video tutorial

Objects - Sims 4 Studio collection of object, walls, floors, roofs, water, terrain-related tutorials

Sims4Studio — Build/Buy/Tuning tutorials (andrew, brujah, orangemittens, many others): forum link
Includes creation, texturing, tuning, etc., and meshing with Blender

Walls/Floors/Terrain

Level up your exterior and landscaping! (Lyralei): post in this forum
How to place multi-tile wallpapers (Bakie): video on Youtube
Recoloring a Wall in Photoshop (melbrewer367): tumblr
Seamless pattern wallpapers (Bakie): video on Youtube
Coloured Pool Water (manual cloning) (pbox): thread in this forum

Objects

Basic Object Instructions for TSRW: thread at TSR
Vertex declaration for glass in lamps (TSRW): post at TSR / TSRW forums
How to create a custom(ised) catalog object: post in this forum
Build/Buy Mode Thumbnails + Swatches -- how to edit, add, sort etc: post in this forum

Objects — Recoloring

How To Create TS4 Style Paintings [Photoshop] (simalary): post in this forum
How to Replace Default Easel Paintings (NekoMimi): post in this forum
Custom wall stickers (Bakie): video on YouTube
Custom paintings (Bakie): video on YouTube
Creating Specular Images for The Sims 4 (Sim_Man): pdf on dropbox; linked from here
Normal Maps for TS3/TS4: post at TSR

Coding

Python — Some useful pointers on how to get started in this thread
How to Access The Sims 4 Python Files (Zerbu): tumblr post | thread in this forum
How to change the simulation clock speed by changing maxis scripts (jcgurango): thread in this forum
How to run a function when the game is loaded (mgomez): thread in this forum
For absolute beginners: Making a simple script that gets the town's population (mgomez): thread in this forum
Script Reloading (fetusdip): thread in this forum

TS4 Advanced Coding Tutorials: wiki page

XML Tuning How-To (pbox): thread in this forum
Extracting TS4 XML Using TS4 Combined XML Extractor (scumbumbo): thread in this forum

Strings and localisation

Change Game Language (simalary): post in this forum
Add names to random names generator (An_dz): post in Modding Discussion
Adding new random names for CAS and townies (julyvee94): thread at EA forums | Video on YouTube
How to add a custom string resource (STBL) to something (pbox): thread in this forum
How to translate an existing mod (STBL editing / pbox): thread in this forum

General/Other

How to Create World Map Overrides (Menaceman): post in this forum
Sharing Sims 4 Apartments (justJones): post in this forum
Tutorial for Neia's Online Create-a-Career Tool (Simmiller): post in this forum
Custom TV Channels (Simser der Deutschen): thread in this forum
Finding Maxis string and object IDs: thread in this forum

Please post in this thread with updates/additions/corrections, so that we can edit the list. Thanks!
15 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 1:10 PM Last edited by Kiara24 : 14th Jan 2015 at 3:26 PM.
I made a tutorial HERE
I hope it will be useful, I tried it to be easy to follow
I have a version in Portuguese for those who are interested HERE
Video tutorials HERE
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 1:16 PM
@Kiara24 - Your tutorial is about default overrides, do I understand that correctly? Or recolors?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Theorist
#4 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 1:22 PM
Forum Resident
#5 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 4:59 AM Last edited by auntielynds : 7th Sep 2014 at 5:18 AM.
Hi pbox,

I went tutorial hunting tonight, and these are what I found. I don't think there are any duplicates of what you have so far, but you might want to check too. I was also able to grab a few of yours I didn't have.

How To: Make Your Recolours Appear in the Same Thumbnail @ tumblr by JSBoutique
How to make a custom tatoo for the Sims 4 @ tumblr by simssalabim
How To: Use Transparency in Your CC @ tumblr by simssalabim
PS Recoloring Tutorial @ tumblr by JSBoutique
Beginner's Tutorial - Custom Recolor and T-Shirt Design @ StarryNiteSims
Adding Custom Swatches to Your Custom Content @ StarryNiteSims
Pattern Tutorial Video for use with Caster Tool @ MTS by Rock Chick
How to Create (and install) Custom Content - The Sims 4 @ The Sims 4 Blogger, tumblr by PeterSims
Video Tutorial: TS4 Custom Lipstick Tutorial @ youtube by imaorney

Resources:
Textures to Re-texture Hair @ www.jennisims.es by JenniSims
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:56 AM
Thanks, auntielynds! =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Sockpuppet
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 12:59 PM
Is there a tutorial for making CAS CC as a new content (no recolor & no default replacement) ?

I did more than 160 tattoos in TS3, I can't imagine to make 160 recolors.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 1:14 PM
The first link in antielynd's post might be what you want?

("Recolor" doesn't have to mean "exactly like the EA version, only with a different colour" .. it's more about the distinction between "new content" vs "override".)

Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 8:30 AM
Awww thanks for linking to my tutorials! Happy to answer any questions if anyone decides to try one!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 11:24 AM
Cool, thanks! =) If people post questions, they will hopefully do it on your site or in a separate thread -- not in this one please, otherwise we'll end up with a mega thread about every tutorial under the sun =P

Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 7:57 PM
I am really excited to see that my tutorial for Custom Lipstick made it onto your list!
Since that tutorial was based on using the CAS Demo, I have updated the tutorial and re-uploaded it. Would you be able to correct the link, please?

Here's the new video:
http://youtu.be/ag_C5M6PSoM
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:19 PM
Fixed; thanks for the update! =)

Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 12:08 AM
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the listing!

However, it seems that the link to "how to share a sim" is broken at the moment. Is there a better link to it, or another tutorial someone has saved? Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 12:16 AM
You mean the "Sharing sims without the Gallery (Srikandi)" one? That one works, I just checked -- can you try again?

(Was it one of those 502 / Bad Gateway errors, perchance? Those are not due to broken links, that's got something to do with the server caching *waves hands* -- but usually only lasts a few seconds, so whenever you encounter that just wait a little bit and reload.)

Thanks for reporting it!

Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You mean the "Sharing sims without the Gallery (Srikandi)" one? That one works, I just checked -- can you try again?

(Was it one of those 502 / Bad Gateway errors, perchance? Those are not due to broken links, that's got something to do with the server caching *waves hands* -- but usually only lasts a few seconds, so whenever you encounter that just wait a little bit and reload.)

Thanks for reporting it!

Thank you so much! I just checked again and its working now! And its good to know that from now on.
I had a feeling it may have been that, but maybe I just got super unlucky and refreshed a few times in a few minutes between and every time caught that. It was like only a five minute span though so yeah! Thank you again!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:36 PM
Thank you, added it to the list!

I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#17 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 5:55 PM
I just posted a tutorial for making eyelashes and mascaras with PS and S4S: LINK

I'm not sure what kind of tutorials are needed, so if it's too elemental or unuseful I'll take it down. Thank you!

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 6:00 PM
Oh thanks, I just added that because I saw the new thread! =) But thanks anyway, it helps when people also post here so I won't miss things.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 8:07 PM
Added a bunch of new ones (great finds auntielynds =) and also shuffled around the sort order a bit since the CAS section became a bit unwieldy.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#20 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:33 AM
EAxian modding documentation can be found here: forum thread | zip
This forum thread doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 8:48 PM
The link works for me, I just checked. It's an announcement in http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/cat...cal-discussions in case you still can't get there by direct link. (What I don't know – and currently can't check because I can't find their logout button =P – is how well the EA forums work when you aren't logged in. Maybe that is the problem?)

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:05 PM
The link works for me, I just checked. It's an announcement in http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/cat...cal-discussions in case you still can't get there by direct link. (What I don't know – and currently can't check because I can't find their logout button =P – is how well the EA forums work when you aren't logged in. Maybe that is the problem?)
OK, I figured it out. While other sections in the new forum can be seen and linked to without having to be logged in, the whole modding section seems to be only visible for logged-in users and you have to be logged in before clicking any link to it. When I clicked on the link without prior log-in I was sent to the Origin site to log in and then back to the Sims forum's main site but not the thread that I wanted to see.
Yes, this is very intuitive . I'm pretty sure that a few weeks ago the modding section was available for anyone.

PS: the log-out is hidden under the cog-wheel button.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:47 PM
LOL wut .. they made their modding section top secret? o.O

That must be a new thing then, I'm sure because I used to know where that darn logout button was. Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, very intuitive indeed. It only makes their forum look broken.

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 6:19 AM
Has anyone figured out how to convert hair from Sims 3 to Sims 4 yet? Can I use a way similar to converting female hair to male?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 6:34 AM
This thread is for updates of this list, not for general questions. Please post in CAS parts.

Page 1 of 3