Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Spice Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:37 AM Last edited by ewenk7 : 7th Jul 2015 at 3:37 AM.
Default Is there a (preferably simple) way to alter the appearance of the skybox?
Hi. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I don't really have any experience with modding, but I am fond of making stories, usually with sci-fi and/or adventure elements. A couple of my better ideas require a very large cave setting, and after some miserably failed experiments with distant terrain, it's occurred to me that a better approach might be replacing the sky itself with a rock texture. The problem is, I don't know if this is possible, let alone practical, and if it is, I sure wouldn't know how to do it. Anyone here have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 7:19 AM
I'm not sure how to do that my self. But I made a cave in an old copy of a world. I made the walls and floor using the terrain sculpting tools. Painted them a rock color. Then took the arch rock, it's the largest rock. Placed it on the side and filled in the top of the "walls" of my cave. I can't remember how to do it, it's sort of an accident when I do it. But you can get the arch rock to stay the same direction as the first one you placed. So you can place a lot quickly. Then finally add your lots, if you want lots in the cave. Make sure you add the lots last other wise you won't be able to fill the cave roof in. Also make sure the cave is large other wise it's kind of hard to move around in the lot.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 12:37 AM
The Sims 3 doesn't use skyboxes- rather it uses a set of Photoshop tones (.DDS) and text files (.INI) to determine the appearance of the sky.

You'll need to grab those and edit them to make an underground setting.