Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 12:16 PM
Default Question on TS3 and Origin
My question is simple I have recently discovered that the Sims 3 now has to run on this program called origin? Anyway my question is do all new Sims 3 DVD version games require origin to be able to run it? Thus you’ll be able to play it, or If I buy the Sims 3 2009 version do I avoid the whole origin installation ordeal? Can I still avoid it with the expansions packs and stuff packs? Or do some EP and SP come also with origin? And if so which EP and SP have origin in them?
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:20 PM
Yes, new games starting from patch 1.42 or perhaps 1.38, needs Origin to play. This includes EPs and SPs and any compilations released after this period, erm, I think Fall 2012 sometime? Just going off the top of my head, the timing may be a bit off...

I have no idea if the later packs (released after Fall 2012) are affected as well, even if one has the 2009 DVD version. Bypassing Launcher (and thus Origin) might work if you do have 2009 DVD version or the Deluxe DVD (base + Ambitions) version, since now all games work with TS3W.exe which is in the patched base game. But don't take my word for it, no one has ever confirm it to me...

You can tell if the disk needs Origin by the "Go Social" tagline somewhere on the cover, usually at the top (but I can't speak for those in anything else but English version as I don't know).
If you do want to hunt down a pre-loved 2009 DVD / Deluxe DVD or in some 2nd-hand shops, do please report back if Bypassing Launcher works for you, especially if you also have packs in Digital Download versions released after Fall 2012, and when you have patched to the current patch version (1.67 as of this writing).

So that I can put this to bed and update the Game Help:TS3 Bypassing the Launcherwiki to help others after you...(yes we get this question a lot)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 3:45 PM
Thank you for letting me know I will let you know as soon as I can get my hands on a EP and SP DVD ones. Though this whole patching thing seems so confusing to me. If I run into any patching problems can I contact you back?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 4:20 PM
You can add on to this thread with any Help questions you have, just edit the thread title if you're expanding the scope of issues. Be sure to search our Wiki pages for our Patching FAQs.