Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Magical Guardian & Gnome of Protection

by Sophie-David Posted 18th Jun 2017 at 1:25 AM - Updated 9th Dec 2018 at 3:20 PM by Sophie-David : Routing Improvement

37 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 4:24 AM
I am gobsmacked. WOW.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#3 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 9:02 AM
Amazing work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:17 AM
OM gosh... just incredible
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 4:43 PM
Cool as heck, S-D!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 6:54 PM
If it scares away the repo man, does that mean you don't lose whatever they came to reposes? And if so, can you program it (or something similar) to scare away the social worker (I have some hacks that have made it so that even though there is an adult or teen in the household, sometimes the game doesn't see it that way and they've tried to take away kids).

The concept is pretty interesting and I like the idea of a one stop burglar alarm.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#7 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 9:19 PM
i just love you and all your stuff :)
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Faerieimp
If it scares away the repo man, does that mean you don't lose whatever they came to reposes? And if so, can you program it (or something similar) to scare away the social worker (I have some hacks that have made it so that even though there is an adult or teen in the household, sometimes the game doesn't see it that way and they've tried to take away kids).

The concept is pretty interesting and I like the idea of a one stop burglar alarm.
Yes, the Repo Man will be stopped before he can remove anything.

I had originally planned to include a defense against the Social Worker, but I didn't really like the idea of permitting child abuse or neglect, even if simulated. On the other hand, I really have no sympathy for the Repo process!

~~~

Thank you everyone for the encouragement.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:39 AM
Wow! Just when I thought everything had been thought of for this game you went and created something I didn't even know I wanted. This is really great! As someone who tries to play as realistically as possible I've never been a fan of the repo man. Didn't pay your electric or water bill? Uh oh, say goodbye to your kitchen chairs. If the item had been bought on credit then I guess it would make sense to have it repossessed but our sims buy stuff with their own money so it's just madness. This is super useful in so many ways Thank you so much for this and also thank you for continuing to create for TS2!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 8:34 AM
I have been using your candle for fire protection in my Sim's homes and this will be a perfect addition to cover against burglaries. I have noticed the candle is a magnet for any sim with the 3 charisma and fire protection skill and was wondering if there is a way to decrease the attractiveness of the object.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 3:57 PM
Do the Sims still get the bad memory for the thief on the lot? Also, will this take care of the newspaper thieves, because of a fight and them furiousness?
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alawren
I have been using your candle for fire protection in my Sim's homes and this will be a perfect addition to cover against burglaries. I have noticed the candle is a magnet for any sim with the 3 charisma and fire protection skill and was wondering if there is a way to decrease the attractiveness of the object.
The candle is intentionally attractive because otherwise qualified Sims seem to run off and watch TV or use the swings instead. My thought is that if a player has placed this object on a lot they want it to be used. I found it quite frustrating to set up a college or academy lot and find that no Sims were using the educational objects.

However, if the lectures become tiresome the Lamp of Fire Warding "Deactivate" menu option will disable them, but fire protection will continue. On a community lot it may be more convenient to place the Lamp on an Opportunity Pack Lost Opportunity so you will not need to Deactivate the Lamp every time your Sims go to the lot. The Lost Opportunity can be made invisible so that it does not disturb any theme you may be trying to convey. These suggestions also apply to The Gnome of Protection, and indeed all items in the Opportunity, Ravendancer and crystal ball series.
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by h3llsb3ll3
Wow! Just when I thought everything had been thought of for this game you went and created something I didn't even know I wanted. This is really great! As someone who tries to play as realistically as possible I've never been a fan of the repo man. Didn't pay your electric or water bill? Uh oh, say goodbye to your kitchen chairs. If the item had been bought on credit then I guess it would make sense to have it repossessed but our sims buy stuff with their own money so it's just madness. This is super useful in so many ways Thank you so much for this and also thank you for continuing to create for TS2!
Yes I agree, the Repo Man really does not make sense. If you don't pay the utilities then your lights or water may be turned off, but as you say it has nothing to do with the kitchen chairs that you paid for in cash. So the Repo Man was definitely on my hit list! Of course it would have been much simpler just to patch him out but I wanted to have a bit of visual fun.
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ClearaMorph
Do the Sims still get the bad memory for the thief on the lot? Also, will this take care of the newspaper thieves, because of a fight and them furiousness?
Yes, they do get the bad memory and the furious mood towards the thief - but also the reward (I had to code all this in). I wanted the experience to be as similar to the standard police arrest as possible - a magical rather than a technological response. And I don't want it to be too easy for those Simmies!

Currently there is no newspaper protection. I will have to check into newspaper theft, to see if it could be included in the vandalism protection group. In this project I decided that I would not do anything that required an actual patch, i.e. a mod. The Gnome does not alter the EA coding in any way.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 8:21 PM
This is so cool! Finally the gnome statues are coming in handy instead of either being annoying (like in Makin' Magic) or just plain passed over in the Buy Mode catalog. Awesome work David! Thank you so much for the work you put into this!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:37 PM
Thank you - you're welcome.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:25 AM
THIS IS AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for posting this, it's such a cool idea! Also, just wondering, but would it be possible to summon a specific sim as the guardian every time? For example, if I made a neutral wizard sim and designated him as the guardian of the household, he would always be the one who shows up? I think that'd be a really interesting addition to my story!~ ^-^
Theorist
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ClearaMorph
Also, will this take care of the newspaper thieves, because of a fight and them furiousness?
After a little research I discovered that newspapers will typically be protected if there is also a basegame gnome on the lot. If there is a basegame gnome present then potential newspaper thieves - i.e. Sims with Niceness points of 2 or less, or furious Sims - will undergo the same personality shift that gnome thieves would. Nasty Sims will become Sims with a Niceness level of 5, and furious Sims will no longer be furious. I think I will leave this rather indirect method of newspaper protection the way it is.
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EternallyStarlitGalaxy
THIS IS AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for posting this, it's such a cool idea! Also, just wondering, but would it be possible to summon a specific sim as the guardian every time? For example, if I made a neutral wizard sim and designated him as the guardian of the household, he would always be the one who shows up? I think that'd be a really interesting addition to my story!~ ^-^
Thank you for your encouragement.

The coding actually works this way already. The Gnome of Protection will only make one Guardian per neighbourhood - unless you have a lot on which you have two activated Gnomes, a second Guardian will not be created. I suspect that most players will not use more than one activated Gnome on a lot.

So provided you don't mind the fact that every lot in the neighbourhood has the same Guardian, I think this will work out for your story. I did it this way so as not to create an unnecessary burden of several additional Sims on the game engine.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#20 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 4:36 AM
Thanks!I could use this in my games.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 7:09 AM
These are pretty fun. I love gnomes (in Sims world)
Test Subject
#22 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 4:37 PM
Awesome!
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Thank you for your encouragement.

The coding actually works this way already. The Gnome of Protection will only make one Guardian per neighbourhood - unless you have a lot on which you have two activated Gnomes, a second Guardian will not be created. I suspect that most players will not use more than one activated Gnome on a lot.

So provided you don't mind the fact that every lot in the neighbourhood has the same Guardian, I think this will work out for your story. I did it this way so as not to create an unnecessary burden of several additional Sims on the game engine.

Perfect! Thank you so much for the speedy reply and for the awesome download \(^-^)/
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 11:47 PM
Minor UPDATE June 21st, 2017:

This cosmetic update to the Gnome's catalogue display now shows that this object improves Logic Skill as well as Charisma.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator THANKS POST
#24 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 9:29 PM
Six months - and 272 BHAVs? Amazing! Thank you, @Sophie-David !!
Theorist
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 4:20 AM
You're welcome, simsample, EternallyStarlitGalaxy, Palabooo and TadOlson.
Page 1 of 2