Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 9:13 PM
Default Shape changing objects - What models do you like?
I'm going to selfishly conduct some research for a current project of mine. It is an object, and I've decided to make it change shape, like Simblender, Visitor controller, Sim Manipulator and so on. I want it to be as versatile as possible, and since my taste in things tend to differ I wondered if you guys might tell me which models you use the most on these objects.

Do you use the function to change object model on Simblender/Visitorcontroller/Sim manipulator?
Which of the options they come with do you use most? Any favorites?
Are there any Maxis objects you wish they'd have as options?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 9:19 PM
I never use the "change shape" function on the mods. Normally, I'll just put the object somewhere easily accessible, but not viewable in pictures or the like. I prefer the objects to be one tile, and small enough to see, but not so small I can't find it. Other than that, I don't care much.

On the Insimenator, I mostly use the small 1-tile spawnable objects, unless I have to use the main machine-thing for something. I either keep them on the lot for easy access (the pile of clothes and the hourglass), or delete them after use.

I do prefer if the objects visually make sense, so I don't have to click all the objects to figure out which is which. For the Insimenator I know the hourglass has to do with age, the wardrobe adjuster is a pile of clothes, the family tree is a bonzai tree, and so on.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 9:53 PM
I wouldn't mind a change shape option on the Business runs you sign or the bat box. Most things I don't change shape on because they are already game items or look okay. The ones you mentioned no. I tend to click a sim and select show in buy mode for the manipulator and grab the one that I need. I have changed the wallet token to a hanging plant and occasionally change the institution sign to a shrub. The batbox, day vase, weather and hobby vase I put under a foundation if I can. The blender goes in some corner. Now that I have no townies I am not using the VC very often, so that also gets put in a corner where a pot plant looks normal.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 10:39 PM
Yeah, the batbox never fits in with the decor (unless you're playing Batman, I guess). XD The Sim Blender I always just stick in the corner as another potted plant though (thought mine was broken once; turned out I was clicking on an ordinary plant lol).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 10:54 PM
Most of the time I turn it into the vase or the bonsai tree. If it could go on counters without fiddling with OMSPs I'd stick them onto a corner counter (as I usually stick the loan jar).

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 12:12 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Jan 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Just to illustrate, this is basically how my mod/posebox/not-in-use props/ stick-it-somewhere-else areas tend to look like. I couldn't find the pic I've got of my story-family's garage (the pic I tried to find, the one with mod-objects in it), but it looks way messier than most garages usually do.

Looks don't matter much to me, but the smaller and more recognizable the item is, the easier it is to find, and I can also stick more objects in there.
Inventor
#7 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 12:38 AM
I've used pretty much all forms available on the Sim Blender and ACR Adjuster. Usually, it will be the potted plant options (Blender as ficus and ACR as fig), so they do double duty as decoration. If I don't have room and the lot is a nicer one, then I'll put them outside as bushes. In small or crowded apartments, however, I do thoroughly appreciate the ability to change them into orchid and bonsai so they can be put on top of something without looking strange. I don't use the VC very often, which means I forget it even has other forms and leave it as a potted plant. With the Sim Manipulator, I tend to spawn what I need and then delete it after I'm done with it. The only exception to that was Olive, who had the scythe, though I do wish I had been able to hang it on the wall rather than leave it lying on the ground.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#8 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 1:06 AM
With the "Visitor Controller" I tend to use the flower shape changing object. Because It seem to work or blend very well with the Sims Deco,plus most people don't mind having flower or a plant in their homes.
Also it work well with Community lot.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 2:29 AM
Usually I use the default shape of such objects, whatever that happens to be. The main object mods I use are the batbox, which I usually put under the floor or in the attic, and the Sim Manipulator, which, on residential lots, I usually place on a bedside table in the main bedroom, unless there's an artist living in the house, in which case I put it in their studio (as it takes the form of an artist's wooden lay figure). My reason for not using alternative forms is that I play a lot of lots, both residential and community, some of which I only play occasionally, and I want to be able to locate and recognise the modded objects easily. Sometimes like Charity, I find myself clicking on an ordinary Maxis object and wonder why it's not working!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Link Ninja
#10 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 3:00 AM
I use the default for sim blender just because I tried changing the object in the past and then I forget where it is on the lot, so I end up clicking everywhere to try to find it. I learned my lesson and use the potted plant for every lot now.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Inventor
#12 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 10:33 AM
With the simblender I do not use any other than the potted plant. I like that one the best. If I would have to choose for a certain shape I would always go for a plant.
Theorist
#13 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 11:43 AM
I never change the model of any mod, as I would never remember it is on the lot.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 4:04 PM
I keep the Sim Blender as a No-Fuss Ficus, but I do change the Teleporter Cat to the bush.
My Batbox hides in the attic or in the foundations with the help of moveobjects.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 7:04 PM
Yes, I do use the change shape option (in fact, I have to learn to do it myself for a project I have in mind too) - what I prefer depends on what it is and where it gets used. If it's an outside object, I'm going to prefer bushes (though not the hydrangea please because that's already used for Inge's things - also, if possible, make it a slave mesh so it pulls the textures rather than being a standalone object. That way I can use recolours) or street/garden furniture. If it's indoors, probably a house plant for preference.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 7:29 PM
It can't be made into a slave mesh Maxon, it doesn't contain any of the mesh parts. It locates the maxis files by the model name of the object and uses the files from maxis, and those are already using the recolors. I believe the reason it can't access recolors of the object it's mimicing is because those are tied to the object by guid, and the guid on the object is different from the maxis one. One can have multiple meshes in the package which would then allow recolors, but that's much more complicated and I don't believe anyone has tried it with more than a couple of meshes at once.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
#17 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 10:36 PM
Also, I would advise against the phone books. In my opinion, they look awkward and out of place.

Forum Resident
#18 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 11:55 PM
I don't care for the look of the phone books either, but I do use that shape when the others just won't work for the lot. I then stick them on an empty bookshelf, the lower shelf of an end table, or on a desk. I'd prefer the objects use one of the other book or office deco objects for their shape, though. My most commonly used existing shapes are the bushes - I've usually got an object to each side of the door or along the back fence of the lot. Inside, while in an apartment I use the smaller plants - again though, I would appreciate some sort of non-plant useful clutter for the shape.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 3:09 AM
You hould shape it like a flower, or small plant that can stay everywhere and matches with the decoration
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
It can't be made into a slave mesh Maxon, it doesn't contain any of the mesh parts. It locates the maxis files by the model name of the object and uses the files from maxis, and those are already using the recolors. I believe the reason it can't access recolors of the object it's mimicing is because those are tied to the object by guid, and the guid on the object is different from the maxis one. One can have multiple meshes in the package which would then allow recolors, but that's much more complicated and I don't believe anyone has tried it with more than a couple of meshes at once.

OK - well, that's useful information for me to know too since I want to make something like that myself. My other comments stand.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#21 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 3:48 PM
I use the change shape function all the time, mostly on ACR or the simblender. I don't keep the batbox and poseboxes on the lot, especially since I haven't been building houses with foundations lately so I don't place them unless I need them. I prefer items that blend in with household items and so I, too, would prefer office deco or knickknacks like vases or something. I have a lot of extra slots for desks and end tables,etc., and that's where I usually place ACR and the blender. If I put down a blender, it's usually the bonsai or the orchid and then I don't put down the regular one anywhere in the house. ACR I usually leave as a phone book, but if not, I can always click on a sim to find it.

I also use mustluvcatz's under the stairs storage set, and I like to put all my mod stuff in there, like the ACR phone book or any tattoo crates I need, so I'd appreciate so deco baskets or boxes (like hat boxes) or something. I will say that I don't really want too many plants shapes, as I usually have plenty of small cc plants that don't get enough use as it is.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 6:19 PM
The main thing which would make it better for me would be to clone it from some item which can stand on end tables and on the floor, like the ACR controller does. It's annoying to have to mess around with OMSPs just to get it to stand on a table.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
#23 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 9:16 PM
And go on shelves, counters, and the fridges. Simwardrobe's Seasons controller is indispensable in my game and it bugs me no end that I can't stick it on top of a fridge.
Inventor
#24 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
Also, I would advise against the phone books. In my opinion, they look awkward and out of place.

Nah, they're good if you're going for super trashy or cheap . Though that does bring up an interesting thing. The mod objects that do change don't really have good choices for trashy/cheap deco that might fit a rundown lot.
Scholar
#25 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 3:56 PM
Lost and Found meshes may be nice because you'll know what they are on sight.

Page 1 of 2