Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 2:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Just me Getting Annoyed
I always disliked the fact that the game would always reset the "options" settings, especially with regards to video settings, whenever an update patch for Graphics cards rolls out and gets applied. Kind of infuriating at times.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 3:14 PM
Everyone does, it's not just you.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 4:02 PM
Yeah I know hence the title LOL
Space Pony
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 9:41 AM
@nitromon:

I didn't know doing that was possible, thanks for the neat tip :D
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 2:58 AM
marstinson over at the Steam Discussions forums for TS3 has outlined a detailed method to work around this annoying feature of the game found here...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/47890...659769955941341

...which goes...

Quote:
1. put your settings where you want them and exit the game.
2. make a backup of Options.ini
3. update drivers
4. launch game to generate a new Options.ini
5. exit game
6. open Options.ini and copy the lastdevice line
7. open backup Options.ini, replace the lastdevice line, and save
8. delete/move/overwrite \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Options.ini and replace it with the backup 9. relaunch the game

Now if I can only find an easy method to stop the game from recording movie clips in 640 by 480, even when in Windowed mode, then everything would be honky dory. Well there is Windows 10's built in gameplay recorder, but it doesn't allow for recording videos with the game's UI hidden.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 8:48 AM
@nitromon:

Quote:
Now about recording, most people use OBS and Frap

No longer necessary thanks to either Windows 10's built in game recorder functionality called "Game Bar", nVidia's GeForce Experience game recorder or AMD's version of a game streamer/recorder.

Quote:
Though it might be possible to use the ingame TS3 recorder to record beyond 640x480, but see... a built in recorder in TS3 is sharing the resources of the game. It is a 32 bit program and already pushing the limit. When we use a 3rd party software, it is a separate software, all it impacts is really your GPU performance. If you use TS3 to record, your whole game is being directly affected. If you jack it up to higher than 640, you're looking at total laggage.

True, if you're playing on a Laptop or a computer with a low end GPU.

Besides TS3 I also play games like XCOM 2 which is a fairly newer game, compared to TS3 which was released in 2009, and my GTX 750 Ti GPU can easily record gameplay footage from it in 1920x1080 windowed mode with 45FPS. It also helps that my RAM is 16GB as well. And I tried to make a quick recording test using Windows 10's recorder and I noticed little to no lag at all, granted the clip was just 20 seconds long and was taken in Summer where there aren't that much more items the game had to render :/