Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:31 AM
Default Modify High School/Work Schedule days
Hey,
I have trouble modifying work schedule days, specifically High School attendance days and ask for advice.

I try DrChillGood's mod (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535900) to allow quitting HS working and it works, so I believe I have resource.cfg etc. set up correctly. I want only a edit to attendance days instead of the quit school he invents. I want to pretend home-school with homework required if you understand.

I extract XML using velicitygrass TS4 XML Extractor and find the /career_level XML's for High School, which include "days_available" section:

S4_2C70ADF8_00000000_000000000000254C.xml
S4_2C70ADF8_00000000_000000000000254D.xml
S4_2C70ADF8_00000000_000000000000254E.xml
S4_2C70ADF8_00000000_000000000000254F.xml

I want to edit them to one day a week to avoid Sim Police taking away my teens and avoid the script problem noted by DrChillGood where reload re-enrolls the teens but at a lower grade. But no matter what is done SIM4 won't recognize new schedule days, but still is needed M T W Th F attendance. I even add XML to DrChillGood mod (which works) instead of new package but no difference is made.

So, my question: How to edit/package the XML tuning to change HS/Work schedules? Thank you for advice.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 8:01 AM
Do you mean that you see those attendance days in the interface, or that your teens are *actually* going to school also? If it's the former, I'd think you need to modify a DATA file in addition to the XMLs so that your changes are also reflected in the UI.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Do you mean that you see those attendance days in the interface, or that your teens are *actually* going to school also? If it's the former, I'd think you need to modify a DATA file in addition to the XMLs so that your changes are also reflected in the UI.

Ohh thank you, I was remiss in testing my changes for days at a time. I press J to see the schedule on Sunday and assume it was not working. But I allow the game to progress I see several days with not forcing a departure (and I hope for no police in weeks to come). I have a doubt still why the display interface is not correct, or what file to modify in that regard, but it works as I wanted, so thank you for the advice.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 11:42 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 30th Sep 2014 at 1:59 AM.
Oh wow, they take away failing teens now? Jerks!

If homeschool is what you want, maybe you should also change the Missed Work Penalty to 0. Most of the jobs have the Missed Work Penalty at 30 or 35, with the teen jobs having them at 15.

Also - it turns out you have to change the DATA files for the Days Available. I learned that the hard way when I tried to change the goal for Tech Guru - even after changing the XML, the DATA file with the same instance number still pointed to the STBL entries for "Play Video Games"

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
Oh wow, they take away failing teens now? Jerks!

Maybe I misread on SIM forum but a player was mad at student taken from household with bad grades, but I can't say if all student ages are threatened. I just avoid the problem and being lazy to test weeeeks of gametime.

Change the XML to Monday and 4 hours seems OK to game, they do schoolwork, go to school one day, then learn music or logic or cook all other days and grade was still high. I don't know where data file is to change display, only applied XML extractor and then to a package.
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Flygh
I don't know where data file is to change display, only applied XML extractor and then to a package.

The DATA files are in the Simulation_FullBuild package. They have the same instance ID as the extracted XML files.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
The DATA files are in the Simulation_FullBuild package. They have the same instance ID as the extracted XML files.

Ohhhh ... what a huge file! Thanks for your advice.