Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 9:25 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 14th Nov 2011 at 4:54 PM.
Default How To: Linking Your Custom Career To Maxis Majors
Echo has discovered for us how to link custom careers to maxis majors! (Go hit one of her thanks buttons!) She has also determined that without a bunch of global rewriting, we can't link custom majors to the maxis jobs, so please don't ask us.

Open up your custom career. Learn how to make one here.

Find BCON 0x1056

The third line is what you need to edit. Decide which majors you want to provide a boost for your career and add up their values from the table below. Input this number into the Decimal Value. Hit Commit, and Save!

1 - Art
2 - Biology
4 - Drama
8 - Economics
16 - History
32 - Literature
64 - Mathematics
128 - Philosophy
256 - Physics
512 - Political Science
1024 - Psychology

If you want your career to require that sims go to college, edit the middle line. 0x0000 is no college required and a value of 0x07FF makes college required and the career becomes only available to college graduates.

We've also learned that the specific linking really doesn't work so well, so the only really useful stuff in this How-To is how to make your career require a degree or not. Careers that require degrees are not specific to which degree your sim gets.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2013 at 11:51 AM
How can I link my custom major with a custom career? Does it work the same way and what values are to be used then?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2013 at 3:52 PM
Sorry, that can't be done. The best you can do is make sure you clone your Major and your Career from ones that are already linked. They *should* continue to be linked. Fortunately though, this is all rather a moot point as the linking doesn't actually do anything! Though, you can have it requiring a degree or not.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 9:33 PM
Yes you can, I did it here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/460959 Feel free to open it up and poke around.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 1:25 AM
Probably not, I'm really rather busy. I take it the one I already made isn't quite what you had in mind?

If you do get up the courage to poke around in SimPE, open up the one I made and just change the BCON 0x1056 lines to be what you want them to be (as listed above). Making an edit of someone else's mod is usually a good place for a beginner to start. Just remember to save it as a different name when you are done.
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 12:19 PM
I think i found something.

I have been digging around the University Expansion package file and have found something interesting; the BCONS that list the majors.

0x00 - Undeclared
0x01 - Art
0x02 - Biology
0x03 - Drama
0x04 - Economics
0x05 - History
0x06 - Literature
0x07 - Mathematics
0x08 - Philosophy
0x09 - Physics
0x0A - Political Science
0x0B - Psychology

I have found this in several locations.

Groups
7F23110A- painting college diploma, Instance 0x1003 : Majors
7F17E3A4 - Semiglogals college, Instance 0x2001 : Majors
7FD46CD0 - Globals, Instance 0x144 : Ep1- Majors
7F8CE369 -Townie and NPC Maker, Instance 0x1001 : Professor- Majors
7FE4B434- Mailbox Instance 0x1004 : Professor Majors

It seems the for linking Careers to Majors you need a bit value from 01 to 10 hex giving you 16 bits 11 of which are used.
Groups 7F8CE369 and 7FE4B434 have the undeclared major as value 0x0C at the end of the list rather than 0x00 at the start.
The UI for declare major has been found it is instance CC16A50A. I think I could modify it to fit 16 buttons. and make those buttons active
I think the code might of changed for the selection of majors and linkages changed after the Uni Ep at either seasons or Free-time.

As far as modding sims2 I don't have much experience but I had some programming experience in Fortran 91 and some SC4 modding. I am just not used to all the hex and how each individual command works yet.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 8:14 PM
Your list is the same as mine from the original post, except you kept it in Hex and mine is in Decimal. I'm not really sure what you are trying to do, could you explain further?
Test Subject
#8 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Your list is the same as mine from the original post, except you kept it in Hex and mine is in Decimal. I'm not really sure what you are trying to do, could you explain further?

I will try to explain.
The numbers in the original post are in decimal but they are also powers of 2 and can be expressed as:2^0, 2^1, 2^2, 2^3 ..... etc

This is using the M&G objects, file it is the same in the uni file.
For example the value in the BCON 1056 line 3 for the law enforcement career is.

0x0402 hex or 1026 decimal which using your list which gives you biology and psychology.

translate to binary
and counting from the right most digit gives you the values 2 and 11 or in hex 02 and 0B which when read from any of those constants I have listed in particular 7FD46CD0 instance 0x144 is biology and psychology.

In other words the list I posted gives the flags when referred to that relates the careers to the majors.

I hope this explains it and makes it clear.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 30th Apr 2015 at 7:45 PM
If I indicate for a custom career to require a degraa and link it to Drama major, will it also work in Base Game? Or is then University required?
Obviously University is required if you want the degree, but I'm asking will the package be base game compatible?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Dec 2016 at 12:16 PM
@Phaenoh : Each major has a decimal value. Does every Maxis career also have a decimal value?

retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Dec 2016 at 7:24 PM
Good question, I don't actually know.
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 2:01 AM
I know this is old, but I'm sorry. I'm new at making custom careers and majors, but I really wanted to make one for the Space Creator Theme. This might be a dumb question, as I know basically 0 about modding.

I understand "linking" to be the careers that benefit from the major the Sim took. Would I be correct? If so, is it possible to have a custom major benefit a custom career? First creating the career, having it linked to a Maxis major and then cloning the major?

Again, I'm sorry if this is stupid. I'm really a beginner here.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 1:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, that method makes the career only available to those who graduated the base major and majors cloned from it (thus not available to anyone without a degree in those fields), which is actually pretty close to what I wanted. I'll take a look around SimPE, get used to how things work and hopefully get my custom major and career working.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Alchemist
#14 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 3:41 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 15th Dec 2018 at 7:09 PM.
Can I still ask a clarifying question here? I'm using this info to link a career to a math major, but considering not requiring a degree, so how would that function in the game? Iow, would a sim who majored in math but didn't complete the degree get any benefit? For example, I'm looking in Phaenoh's Major Revamp, and Dance doesn't require a degree but does have a link to, I think, drama and art. What would the effect of that link be without a degree in those majors? Does it just mean Dance is available to both sims with that degree AND sims without, but only sims with a degree in art or drama would benefit?

And what is the benefit anyway? I haven't play uni, so what is different about playing the career for a sim who was a math major? Greater percentage of success on chance cards or promotion or starting higher or what? If they enter at a higher level, what level is it?