Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 9:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Unable to use rabbit holes since Island Paradise
I've recently installed IP (fully patched), and since then things have gone south...
I was playing a pre-IP town and I had no problems, everything was working how it was supposed to. But then I decided to play Island Paradiso.
Problem #1: If I want to edit my house testingcheats must be enabled, and you have to shift-click the floor to enter build/buy mode
Problem #2: Rabbit holes are inaccessible! Want a job? Forget it! I mean the WHOLE town is full of people that can't get jobs because they can't enter the rabbit holes (my sim can approach a building, but a step or two in front of the building, the routing fails and he complains) You can, however enter a house or a park.

Since I read somewhere to delete the cache, I deleted *all* the cache I could find, which solved an additional issue in which the rabbit holes appeared with the blue icon of a park, and the only pie menu options were to visit them; but other than that, nothing. I also tried removing the CC (they were the kind that you can take out at any time), and deleting the cache again. Still nothing.

After a while of crying, I got bored with the above, so I went back to my pre-IP town. Everything was fine and dandy until I said: "I want this sim in a houseboat. Let's build a port". Long story short, I now have two BFBVFS with exactly the same symptoms. (♪ sus-PI-cious ♪ )
Also, uninstalling changed nothing.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 10:15 AM
Problem 1 sounds like a broken lot. There is one in the Egypt vacation world that does the same, but I haven't seen one like these in Isla Paradiso. Where is it?

Problem 2 sounds like something else is broken. I happen to have this happened in Isla Paradiso yesterday. All of a sudden all rabbitholes autodestroyed themselves and became inaccessible. ErrorTrap reported all of them as out-of-world objects and ceased their function. It is possible that this is the sure and first sign that this save is corrupt or that I have some deep-rooted mod problem.

Problem 3 is, unfortunatley, unavoidable. Adding ports to other towns is a hit-or-miss affair. Sometimes it works and sometimes it breaks the whole routing in a world.

Come to think of it: did you add any lots in Isla Paradiso yourself, like, not build on existing lots but add new ones with the world editor? If so, then this might be the cause for Problems #1-3.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 10:17 AM
something to read (also not dealing with IP directly) http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...rabbithole.html + http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/0...abbitholes.html
short: solutions Crinrict suggests are these:

Replace the rabbithole in edit town with a new copy
Change the type of your lot to something else (still community lot but another kind) and then change them back (that should delete invisible objects on that lot).

additionally using a mod that helps you resetting lots/your town like Master Controller

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
#4 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 10:51 AM
The second issue from crinrict's blog is not valid anymore and was fixed by the subsequent patch.
The first issue, yeah, maybe replacing the broken rabbitholes with new ones could fix this, although I wouldn't trust a game that managed to eat them all in the first place.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
Problem 1 sounds like a broken lot. There is one in the Egypt vacation world that does the same, but I haven't seen one like these in Isla Paradiso. Where is it?

It happens (only) on a houseboat in my main world

Come to think of it: did you add any lots in Isla Paradiso yourself, like, not build on existing lots but add new ones with the world editor? If so, then this might be the cause for Problems #1-3.

Not unless you count Port > Set Houseboat
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 2:43 PM Last edited by adampalte : 12th Jun 2014 at 3:05 PM.
I tried replacing the rabbit holes, nothing.

For good measure, I also tried changing the lot type and back, also nothing. Still at square one.

Also, The problems seem to be immune to MasterController's healing properties
Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 6:25 PM
did you place any lots via Edit Town in Isla Paradiso (see#2)?
also the testingcheats must be enabled stuff and the click on floor to edit buy/built sounds really weird too. there must be more terrible wrong. did you patched the game via launcher? or manually?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shmovese
did you place any lots via Edit Town in Isla Paradiso (see#2)?

If you count Port -> Set House Boat, then yes, I did. Otherwise no lots were placed in Edit Town
did you patched the game via launcher? or manually?

Via the launcher, why? Was that a bad thing to do?
#9 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 8:19 PM
That's Isla Paradiso you're talking about, right? You used an existing Port and added a houseboat?
But you also mentioned similar problems with your pre-IP world. There you had to add a Port lot first or were there already lots that extend over water?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 8:59 PM
That's Isla Paradiso you're talking about, right? You used an existing Port and added a houseboat?

Yes, correct. I used the first empty port I saw, and created a houseboat.

But you also mentioned similar problems with your pre-IP world. There you had to add a Port lot first or were there already lots that extend over water?

Sunset Valley has no ports, so I had to manually add one (using this guide http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/691085.page, if that's of any help)
Forum Resident
#11 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 9:32 PM
no its not "bad" of course patching via launcher but i read several times that it CAN happen that the update is incomplete. i dont know why - just read it several times. i have no idea if thats the problem dont get me wrong. your descriptions about the stuff that happens in your game is just so weird.
and you wrote "I also tried removing the CC (they were the kind that you can take out at any time)". whats with the other content? are those mods e.p. core mods + are these on you current patch level? if not that can bug your game too

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 10:10 PM
your descriptions about the stuff that happens in your game is just so weird.

It's kinda what happens when you're unlucky enough to have weird things happening to you.

whats with the other content? are those mods e.p. core mods + are these on you current patch level? if not that can bug your game too

Let's see... Nraas_ Woohooer, Overwatch, ErrorTrap (and thanks to you MasterController); AwesomeMod; nomaxisintro; and a bunch of CAS clothing and hair CC. They are all the latest versions I could find compatible with my patches (not hard considering they all require the latest, which I have).

My procedure to rip them out is to remove everything but ErrorTrap (just in case), load my town, do nothing but save and quit, then remove ErrorTrap and test to see if that helped.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 10:41 PM
hmm Awesome mod is such a huge mod. there are certain nraas mods that are not compatible (but i dont know which ones exactly cause i dont use AM) did you check this out if there are all safe to use together?
i read on first glance that Overwatch can conflict:
Overwatch:
This mod's replacement of the aging manager may conflict with Awesome's alterations to sim aging

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 11:00 PM Last edited by adampalte : 12th Jun 2014 at 11:12 PM.
In theory, my current setup shouldn't let them wage war against each other: other towns work just fine, provided there is no port (unacceptable!). However, just for good measure, I'll try with out Overwatch.

EDIT: Nope. Still at square one
#15 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 11:17 PM
AwesomeMod and Overwatch only conflict in that any aging settings in Awesome (like TS2-style aging) are overridden by Overwatch and thus ignored. Other than that there is no conflict that I know of that could cause what you describe, unless you've got something outdated in your Mods folder or a NRaas module without the base mod.

My guesses are that if there is no mod problem your two saves are toast, the IP one right from the start and the Sunset Valley one because of the adding of the new lot. Adding lots with the World Editor can destroy a game. I ruined a Bridgeport save before even playing in it because I added two port lots that broke the whole routing in town.

But I am still unclear of what exactly the issue is that is the same in both saves: is it the unable-to-buy/build-on-houseboat one or the all-rabbitholes-ceased-to-function one?

And when the rabbitholes broke, did you get a script error by ErrorTrap? The borkage of rabbitholes should be included in the correction logs and uploaded for review at NRaas Industries.

Also can you give me the name and address of the port in IP that you used for your houseboat? I am playing there currently.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 12:15 AM
My guesses are that if there is no mod problem your two saves are toast, the IP one right from the start and the Sunset Valley one because of the adding of the new lot. Adding lots with the World Editor can destroy a game. I ruined a Bridgeport save before even playing in it because I added two port lots that broke the whole routing in town.

Wonderful. Should I nuke the 'hoods? (although I don't see how that will help solve the problem...)

But I am still unclear of what exactly the issue is that is the same in both saves: is it the unable-to-buy/build-on-houseboat one or the all-rabbitholes-ceased-to-function one?

Both, but the real main issue is the 'all-rabbitholes-ceased-to-function', because while shift-clicking the floor lets you access the build/buy modes, you can't get a career job here! (or use the restaurant, or go to school, or... you get the picture)

And when the rabbitholes broke, did you get a script error by ErrorTrap? The borkage of rabbitholes should be included in the correction logs and uploaded for review at NRaas Industries.

Actually, yes. Both neighborhoods threw a big bunch of errors each (24~32 errors/town, I can't remember), only once. But in my infinite wisdom and shift-delete-enter happy fingers, I kinda deleted the error files (). Yeah. Oh well, I'll just create a new neighborhood and offer it up for sacrifice.

Also can you give me the name and address of the port in IP that you used for your houseboat? I am playing there currently.

The first port I tried out was Peaceful Port. As for the address..., it's the middle one in a group of three in front of Davy Jones' Locker
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 1:06 AM
Errm... in the process of setting up a brand new town to be offered for sacrifice, the problems mysteriously stopped occurring in the new neighborhoods (?????). The old ones are corrupted just the same, but the new ones... work?

I guess that's OK, but... what just happened here? Heck, all the mods were there, and yet somehow it just started to work???

Somehow I have the feeling that the problem isn't gone, but rather will resurface again in a different form...

Though, I still want to know what the hell happened for the glitch to occur (and go away) in the first place
#18 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 9:29 AM Last edited by babele44 : 13th Jun 2014 at 9:47 AM.
This is a quote from my thread over at NRaas where I had a, possibly, similar problem in Moonlight Falls:
Quote:
- after a few minutes I get a correction log by ET
- then messages that some Sims were reset by ET (they were all inside one of the rabbitholes - at 3am!
- then some messages that the rabbitholes that my family owned were modified in Edit Town and that therefore the properties were sold and my family reimbursed
- a few seconds later all interactions vanish from most rabbitholes and all Sims who worked in one of them are rendered unemployed, including the school children; the career tab for the school children in my family said that there were no schools in my town that they could attend
-for each affected rabbithole I got a separate script error file
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/share/view/66950336

If this sounds familiar enough, i.e. is roughly what happened to you, too, then there is no explanation yet. I guess the game just has multiple extravagant ways to show you that it doesn't like you and your save. It's not exclusive to Island Paradise or Isla Paradiso in any case as I had this in Moonlight Falls in a long running and up till then trouble-free game without any houseboats.
All I can say so far is that Into The Future has made all my games rather unstable and the most mind-boggingly weird errors have only happened since intsalling ITF.

One thing that seems to provoke the game into throwing errors at you now is when you switch between saves within the same game session. I now always quit the game before playing a different save.

If this ever happens to you gain, please save the error logs and send them to NRaas. Maybe if they have more data they can figure out what is going on.

--------

Edit: I just built a (sorry excuse for a) houseboat at Peaceful Port and the test family can enter Buy/Build Mode just fine, Maybe your houseboat was somehow considered as part of the port lot and not a separate residential unit docked at the port? Or it was wrongly categorised as private lot and not as residential? I know I had one houseboat that constantly changed its assigned category after reloading a save, switching between residential and private.