Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#251 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 1:39 AM
I was born in the year of the modern revolutions. I missed woodstock by one month. The first computer I saw was a BBC Micro, and the first I owned was a commodore sixty four.
My birthday present one year was the original sims 2. I missed all the good hippie stuff because I was born too late. But it's nice to have a birth year date that resembles a sexual position.
Advertisement
Theorist
#252 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 10:07 AM
At least now I know why this forum is so nice in comparison to others. Most other places in Internet are full of trolls, senseless arguments, hate, etc. It might be agism, but I believe the age statistics is what makes this forum different.
Test Subject
#253 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 4:59 PM
Lucky enough to be born in the year of our Lord, 1966. In fact, so lucky that it was March 6, 1966 so I get 3 "6"s in my birthday! Extra yays for me!

That makes me 50 years old right now but I'm feeling pretty good about the fact that humanity has wholeheartedly accepted evil as their main squeeze for one half of a century.

I am currently looking for a boyfriend because I have been on hiatus for the last 6 years so, if there are any yummy boys out there from the ages of 43.8 - 51.2, gimme a shout! Also, you must be as beau as Mads Mikkelson, or forget it.

Signed,
Lilith
Mad Poster
#254 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MadeleineArneau
Lucky enough to be born in the year of our Lord, 1966. In fact, so lucky that it was March 6, 1966 so I get 3 "6"s in my birthday! Extra yays for me!

Signed,
Lilith

My husband was born October 6, 1966!

Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
At least now I know why this forum is so nice in comparison to others. Most other places in Internet are full of trolls, senseless arguments, hate, etc. It might be agism, but I believe the age statistics is what makes this forum different.

I think the 12s are outnumbered by the (hopefully) mature people here.

Then again, there's MATY.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Field Researcher
#255 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 4:38 PM
I don't know if age of the members has something to do with it, but I definitely like TS2 forum section most. Somehow, it's easier for me to communicate here than on other subforums. Users here seem more receptive, and I can definitely identify with their thoughts better. TS2-ers also seem to like their game more, so they're less frustrated about it and I can really feel them enjoying it. So, at this moment, this place suits me best.

The age that surprised me most by far is DJ.'s. I couldn't believe the person who crafted Felicity Island is only 18 years old. His style (both writing and creating) is really mature and well-built, he's talented but also doesn't lack experience. That is just one example why younger members shouldn't feel belittled because of their age. I've read some users refusing to reveal their age out of fear their opinions would be discredited because of it. That shouldn't be the case. Our words, thoughts and actions speak for themselves, and often lack of maturity can be totally overshadowed with intelligence (rational and emotional), sensibility, special talents and abilities.
Theorist
#256 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 10:50 PM
Theorist
#257 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 11:51 PM
@MystAngel, I definitely agree. I've found an "online friend" recently who turned out to be a 18 y.o. girl. It was really enjoyable to talk to her about the anime we were watching. She asked me once why I still talked to her, saying that surely I saw her as a small dumb fool, right?! And I said no, definitely no.

Then again, there's some agism that goes in reverse: one person I know online started behaving like I'm an old ancient woman once she got to know I'm 31. I like anime and fanfiction, and she was all "wow, anime\fanfiction brings all kinds of people together!!" It was rather offensive. Here I've been reading fanfiction for 12 years and suddenly someone treats me like an exotic aberration in the fandom!

And even the 18y.o. girl I mentioned earlier asked me why I'm interested in things like M\M fanfiction . When I said that I always was and just didn't stop being interested, she expressed some terror that she'd still be interested in such things when she's 31. But that's more comical than anything. Young people don't realize that we don't change all that much with age.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#258 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:06 AM
I've seen that a few times with young people of about 18 asking if they should still be playing sims 2 since they are 'getting too old'. I feel like saying, too old? Who said you were too old, if your too old what does it make us? Anyone would think they were asking if they should still be playing with Polly Pockets. I think they somehow think they will change radically between 18-30, with a much more 'mature' outlook. While you do change you don't stop being you nor do you feel any older then when you were 18. It feels like 5 years has passed when it's really been 10-20 years.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#259 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think they somehow think they will change radically between 18-30, with a much more 'mature' outlook. While you do change you don't stop being you nor do you feel any older then when you were 18. It feels like 5 years has passed when it's really been 10-20 years.

Exactly, it feels like just a few years. Time goes by way too fast when you're an adult.

For some reason it's different when you're still at school. A year seems like such a long time...

I observed a similar effect once when I had to go to another city for a few days. For the first day, time was really, really slow (not just for me, but everyone around who came). I couldn't believe how slow it was, so much done and almost no time passed? But on the next day it went back to normal. So maybe in youth our brains processed the world a little differently, too, with more curiosity and intense attention, like it's all still new and unusual? And then it started using short-cuts and labels after it learnt enough and we don't feel involved enough in each minute detail to have a feeling of slow timeflow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#260 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:59 AM
No doubt it's the same as being in hospital or a DR's waiting room, time goes by so slowly there! Time does seem much slower when you are a child, birthdays and holidays took forever to arrive and summer holidays seemed to stretch out forever when I was a child and now I'm like, was that it?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#261 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
And even the 18y.o. girl I mentioned earlier asked me why I'm interested in things like M\M fanfiction . When I said that I always was and just didn't stop being interested, she expressed some terror that she'd still be interested in such things when she's 31. But that's more comical than anything. Young people don't realize that we don't change all that much with age.
It makes sense, since people do change rapidly when they're young. Kids can outgrow hobbies and interests pretty quickly.

I can also understand the 18 year old who wonders if he or she should stop playing video games. It wasn't that long ago that video/computer games were for kids, as far as society was concerned. Adults did buy their own systems and games, but it didn't become a socially acceptable hobby for people of all ages until the kids who owned Pong and Ataris grew up without growing out of gaming. That was fairly recently, so some folks are still going to tell young adults that they're getting too old for those "childish" things. It can take some time to realize that being an adult means that you can pretty much do whatever harmless thing you want and you can ignore the people who tell you it's not mature enough or cool enough.
Top Secret Researcher
#262 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:12 AM
When you're five, a year is one-fifth of your whole life. When you're twenty it's only one-twentieth, hardly more than an hour is to a day. And when you're sixty it's no more than a minute is to an hour.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#263 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:18 AM
I don't know that it's socially acceptable even now, and I was one of those kids on the Space Invader machines. I certainly don't go around telling people I play computer games and anytime it has come up I get amused looks. Seems like you have to say craft, gardening, cooking or football is your hobby around here.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#264 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:29 AM Last edited by omglo : 10th Apr 2016 at 3:40 AM.
Post to make the new posts appear...I thought the new upgrade took care of this issue.

ETA: Yes, it probably depends largely on your social circle and the games you play. Here in the U.S. it seems like everyone can bond over Candy Crush, or something similar. Some people on both sides of the fence would say phone games don't count, but we do seem further along on the road to acceptance than we were back in the 80s and 90s.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#265 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:32 AM
I haven't had that trouble since I mentioned it to Delphy a couple of months back. I do sometimes find after I post I end up on the page before. So a thread will have 20 pages and after I post I find myself on page 19, it's quite odd.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#266 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 4:55 AM
Anyone would think they were asking if they should still be playing with Polly Pockets.

*still has all her old Barbies*
Scholar
#267 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 5:58 AM
I've seen that a few times with young people of about 18 asking if they should still be playing sims 2 since they are 'getting too old'. I feel like saying, too old? Who said you were too old, if your too old what does it make us? Anyone would think they were asking if they should still be playing with Polly Pockets. I think they somehow think they will change radically between 18-30, with a much more 'mature' outlook. While you do change you don't stop being you nor do you feel any older then when you were 18. It feels like 5 years has passed when it's really been 10-20 years.

That'd be me. Worried about current trends yet too lazy and niched to actually do anything.
Thanks Jo.

Now I kind of wondering if I'm too young. You'll all go and then I'll be left longer to play this game in isolation. (Sorry for the morbid thought!)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#268 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 6:26 AM
Go? We're not quite in our dotage yet! I'm turning 50 this year not 90, thank you! Plenty older then myself around here. Of course if you are about 18, 50 might seem 'old', trust me it's not.

Hehe Charity, well Barbie is in a class of her own.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#269 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 6:30 AM
Go? Were are we supposed to go? I'm planning to be here *F*O*R*E*V*E*R*, and still quite a while AFTER that!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#270 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 6:49 AM
As someone who's been 50 for around 48 hours.. trust ME when I say it's not old! Of course it probably helps that I don't look or act 50. (Never mind how I *feel*!)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#271 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 6:53 AM
I thought they meant we would all be dead or in a nursing home. Dang it, if they carry me off to a nursing home my room better have a decent gaming computer so I can take all my sims 2 disks with me!

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#272 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 8:19 AM
@Babahara, I envy people like you for feeling like that... also clicked love on other posts sharing the feeling.

I noticed a lot of mature people here cultivate their youthful energy. As a result, their posts leave an impression of freshness and vitality. They seem... healthy. Internally. I actually do feel much older with each year, but that isn't the result of pure maturation as much as a result of susceptibility for anxiety and depression. I've already written about it. People prone to it, are, unfortunately, genetically predisposed to face certain heaviness, which can inevitably reflect on their personality, even when they're stable and euthymic. And even with medical treatment, being hypersensitive and exposed to stress of everyday life, implies such conditions are likely to slowly progress year after year. I think that's why I haven't been in such situations, to be mistaken for a younger person based on interests or behavior. My interests did change over time. I partially agree with Jo that we never stop being who we are, that's actually biologically given to us, the mere essence of our existence. But just like body changes over time, our soul consequently ages with it. And just like illnesses affect the health of the body, there are some that affect psyche too and speed it's aging process. For keeping the body young as long as we can, we eat healthy and use beauty products. And to keep our soul young, we can... play The Sims! . Seriously, that's why I sometimes need something like that, very badly, to go far, far away from troubled thoughts or an accelerate aging soul. I admit I'm not a regular player, but I keep coming back. This game rejuvenates me, philosophizing doesn't.

And I also met people both a lot younger and a lot older than me, who I had close relations with, laughed with, had pleasant conversations, shared intimate thoughts and confided in. That isn't dependable on age, because when choosing to approach someone, I always react to his or her sensibility only. It did happen to me to sometimes outgrow, not only some of my interests, beliefs, or habits, but also "outgrow" certain relationships, or people. Since everyone changes with his own pace, following his own evolving path, it happens to people to simply grow apart, despite once being in the same time and place. That is also natural, just the way aging is...

@mustluvcatz, happy birthday!
Scholar
#273 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 8:59 AM
I was meaning the end of life, so when I'm around 80-90. (My parents are 50 and I don't think that they are old at all.) Sims will probably be played on interactive Virtual Reality or something.
Sorry if I came across as ageist. I have had good friends who have passed due to old age. I don't think anyone here is old, many of you are wise.

I hope that your 50th was great. @mustluvcatz
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#274 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 9:06 AM
No offense taken, not on my part anyway.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#275 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:23 PM
End of life? I will just leave this here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21116544

After I first watched that, btw, I decided to embrace my gamer identity in RL (to a select few). I'd always played with my nephews and brother but I told some of my friends too. They're still speaking to me and one, it turned out, was a simmer too.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 11 of 15