Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Won't Move Past Loading Screen
Ok so here's my problem, I just installed the game and the latest patch, I have the resource file updated, have the dbc file in the mod folder and I have the d3dx9_31 file in the game folder. So as far as I know I have everything yet when I start up the game first it takes awhile to start up at all and then when it finally starts up it get's to the loading screen, and while very slow the loading bar does fill up all the way, and then nothing. It finishes loading but it never moves to the next screen, it just stays there. Anyone know what's wrong?
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:58 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
You mean you just installed the game for the very first time? Just installed WA for the first time or the entire game for the first time?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:00 AM
Well this is a new computer so this is the first time I've installed both sims 3 and WA on here.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:03 AM
Gotcha.

What antivirus are you using and do you have Windows Liveone care installed?

Please post your system specs: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...:System%20Specs
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:17 AM
==System==

* Operating System: Windows 7
* System Manufacturer: HP
* System Model: Dv7 Notebook PC
* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.03ghz(my old one was core 1, 1.88ghz and it ran fine.
* Memory: 4gb
* DirectX Version: 11

==Display==

* Name: ATI mobility radeon hd 4650
* Manufacturer: ATI inc.
* Chip Type: ATI display adaptor
* Approx. Total Memory: 2792
* Version: 8.621.0.1
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:22 AM
Just a head's up with that laptop.. it's rather notorious for overheating. Just make sure you always run it on a hard flat surface, like a table or desk. Don't put it on a couch, chair or your lap. Users have also really benefited from coolers, such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+nc2000&x=0&y=0 Or even just putting it on a wire cooling rack like this: http://www.deliaonline.com/images/w...-rack-19303.jpg That's not why things aren't loading now, but just a head's up so you can keep your computer running as long as possible.

What about the antivirus and liveone care?

I would also like to see what else is running on your laptop. please run this program and choose to save a log: http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micr...4-10227353.html Upload the log here. Make sure you don't click to fix anything It's a totally manual program and you have to know what you're doing or you will destroy your computer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:27 AM
I have AVGFree, same as I had on my old on and I don't have livecare but I didn't have it on my old one either. And I don't really wanna risk running that, I suck with computers and don't wanna hit something I shouldn't. My dad would kill me if anything happened to this computer.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:34 AM
Maybe ask your dad to come on and post instead? Because if what's going on is related to your computer then I'm going to need to have a clear picture of exactly what's going on. My next step may be to ask you to uninstall or disable stuff. If you don't have your dad's permission to do that then he's going to have to come and post. Sorry.

I really do think there has to be something going on computer related. Whether it be a driver that needs an update or piece of software that's conflicting, a brand new game installation like that should not be borked unless there's something else going on.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:49 AM
My dad won't let me install it, he doesn't trust most programs.. But I have the newest patch installed and heard that's causing lots of problems, could that be whats wrong??
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:50 AM
There are people, even our own staff members, who are using the latest patch without problems. So we can't just say the patch is borked. What we can say is that the latest patch is conflicting with something or somethings. That's why I need more info about your computer.

If you don't want to figure out what that is for you then the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall WA and just play with the base game and hope.. there is no guarantee.. EA will release a different patch which fixes this conflict.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 2:35 AM
Ok here's something I forgot to add, not sure if it'll help, two days ago the game was running just fine, it's just today that it hasn't been working.
shiny!
retired moderator
#12 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:19 AM
Well have you installed any new software in the last two days? Done any Windows updates? Installed any new drivers?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:18 AM
Only thing I can think of is Java and some normal windows updates. That's it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:19 AM
Just checked, also some things called MSXML and hp support assistant
shiny!
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:22 AM
Your first post made it seem like it was working until you patched it and then patch killed it. Is that what you meant, or was it working with the patch for 2 days and then randomly stopped?

Also, did you ever install any custom content?

ETA: Uninstall the HP assist. You're the second person who has had that running who wouldn't load the game. I'd appreciate if you'd test to see if that could potentially be a cause.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Your first post made it seem like it was working until you patched it and then patch killed it. Is that what you meant, or was it working with the patch for 2 days and then randomly stopped?

Also, did you ever install any custom content?

Nah the patch was installed. It's just been today. And as for New CC, the only things have been i used a program from on here to turn the Sims3Packs into packages. But even when I delete them it still doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:33 AM
Uninstalling Hp Assist did nothing.
shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:33 AM
Damn on the HP update. Oh well.. onto other things.

You have to do more than delete packages to actually get them out of your game. Try this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...ustom_CC_Wizard
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:50 AM
Ok so none of that worked, but I was just looking at some other topic where someone posted the results from that program and it looks like what it shows are all the programs running in that background, so I took this pic of the Processes section of the start task manager.
shiny!
retired moderator
#20 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:18 AM
The fact that the game used to work and no longer does changes what could be possible. I was running from the assumption it didn't work the very first time you installed it. You need to complete this guide: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Loading_Crashes

And if it still doesn't work you may need to reinstall.

---------

We can still work simultaneously from the computer standpoint if you want, but it may be totally pointless. Hijackthis shows more than that but that's part of what I was looking at. I don't see anything there that I know is a problem.. You've certainly got unnecessary stuff running.. but that's all I can tell you.

You could try using msconfig to clean up unnecessary startup processes and services. It's totally safe as long as you only mess with what I tell you, and hopefully your dad will let you do it. People use this tool to keep their computer clean and running to its best, but it can also be helpful in ruling out software conflicts. This is how you do it: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...45&postcount=21 Basically you want to disable everything in startup except the AVG and everything non-microsoft related in services except the AVG stuff.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
The fact that the game used to work and no longer does changes what could be possible. I was running from the assumption it didn't work the very first time you installed it. You need to complete this guide: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Loading_Crashes

And if it still doesn't work you may need to reinstall.

Ok, but with this stuff, my games not crashing, it's not even going non responding, hell the music even still plays and everything, the bar fills up all the way and then it stays there never going to the next screen. It doesn't crash though.
shiny!
retired moderator
#22 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:36 AM
Perhaps it could be better labeled, but that counts for loading crashes and well as just not loading at all.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:54 AM
Ok I deleted all my mods and it loads up fine... Now I need a way to get my mods to work again, all my sims use them..
shiny!
retired moderator
#24 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:59 AM
Sorry but if they don't work then they don't work.. you will have to refer to the creator for support. It will be up to them to update the mods to work with the latest patch.

If you're needing help narrowing down exactly what is causing a problem, then this may help: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Custom_Content

Also might want to read starting on pg 11 here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 5:20 AM
... Well without the mods or downloaded stuff this game is completely worthless to me...
Page 1 of 2