Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 5:12 PM Last edited by linesa : 5th Sep 2013 at 7:28 PM.
Default [Solved] A little problem with the shadow
Hi ^^

I've followed this tutorial to do a lod2 mesh : http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...Level_Of_Detail

It's working fine but I've a little problem : after I've morphed lod2 mesh, it has a strange shadow that dont disappear on the fat, thin, fit and special groups, even if I use the Align Normals plugin...

You can see in the first pic the unsmoothed part and the result is almost the same on the second pic after I used the Align Normals.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 6:55 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 5th Sep 2013 at 7:15 PM.
Did you use the model cleaner yet(with autosmooth on)?

This is often a result of welding the seams before using direct x meshtool or any other proggy to reduce polycount.
Modelcleaner will bring back any seams(splits up the vertice) with the UVmap as reference, then autosmooth will smooth those areas independant giving you proper mormals on those parts.

However, if those parts are still connected on the UVmap Modelcleaner will not seperate the vertice.
You then have to seperate those vertice manually:
-select the vertice on the seam you want
-choose unweld from the vertex menu
If autosmooth is on it will autosmooth those areas but will also give you back all other seams, keep that in mind.
So you best manually smooth out those areas with Demon's alligne normals(plugin for milkshape wich you find here on mts2)

Edit, just read back you have this on the morphs.
If you do use the unweld function you have to do this on all 5 meshes...
So you better fix the base mesh, then create the morphs with it.

Now, written this all down...i personal wouldn't worry about those shadows for lod3, i do try to create a decent lod2 as many people(with poor comps) are having them as first mesh.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 7:27 PM
Ok, thank you for your advice Bloom ^^

So, When he said to use the cleaner tool, I should have the autosmooth checked next time maybe...

I tried what you said and the result is decent for a lod2 ^^

Some of the morphs need a little bit of work (moving a bit some of the vertices) and it should be good enough ^^

Thank you again Bloom, I think it's solved for now ^^
Screenshots