Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 2:17 AM
Using design tool on custom objects
Hello

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I was unable to find an answer to my problem. Whenever I download custom objects I am unable to use the design tool on them to change the color. When I click on the object with the tool I get the color options, but if I try to select one I get an error that says "script call failed." Could someone point me in the direction to an answer for my question. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 1:50 PM
Did you post where you downloaded those objects, to let the creators know? Since AFAIK all custom objects that are available right now are made with TSRW and that is still in closed alpha/beta, perhaps it is an issue with that tool.

Also, did you test with only one object and no other CC?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 2:10 PM
I have a few meshes by Sailfindragon and she states in the download posts that you have to select a color before you place the item because you can't use the design tool on them. Sounds like the meshes you downloaded have the same issue (which is most likely a TSRW issue).
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 2:44 PM
No it's an EA issue I am pretty sure. Same type of thing that stops us getting custom objects out of the inventory once they have gone in. They admitted that was a bug. Apparently some clever coder at EA decided to hard-code the object ids in various places.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 2:54 PM
"Script call failed" when trying to recolour is an error I have managed to produce with half-overridden COBJ/OBJD resources too though (I think it was when some variants of the same object had different ftpt references from others). So that is an issue that *could be* inherent to the object as well, I think.

Would be interesting if it happens with @HugeLunatic 's objects too -- she does not have a note about it in her upload posts, does that mean her objects don't have the problem?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 5:41 PM
Old thread but I am having the same issue with all of my CC. I think it has to do something with the common way how TS4 artists create their stuff. (the program they use probably) It's not a big issue since we can choose colors directly from the catalog while placing the items but still not being able to change it without buying a new one is annoying.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 5:48 PM
It is annoying. Horribly annoying. But it's EA's fault, not the creators. Really wish they'd fix that if they can since it's the main reason I've put off creating for TS4 for now.
Theorist
#9 Old 10th Mar 2015 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
It is annoying. Horribly annoying. But it's EA's fault, not the creators. Really wish they'd fix that if they can since it's the main reason I've put off creating for TS4 for now.

Oh don't let something like that stop you! I'm sure you could be making great things lots of people need and want who are fine with having to chose the colour before placing!
#10 Old 10th Mar 2015 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Oh don't let something like that stop you! I'm sure you could be making great things lots of people need and want who are fine with having to chose the colour before placing!

In real life we can't just change the color of something after we get it home, we have to choose before purchase.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 10:09 AM
I have little to no knowledge about how to create CC but just came across this news that they just updated the sims 4 studio, and it says "no more script call failure" !

Details here : http://sims-studio.proboards.com/th...ion-sims-studio

Now I wonder what's going to happen to all of those CC we downloaded till now. Can they be fixed ? May be they can make a little program for us to download (like decrapfying tool we had for sims3pack files) so we can direct the program to our mods file and it fixes all the CC in there... I wish such a thing can actually happen lol

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 12:08 PM
So is there any documentation on what exactly causes that error message and how to avoid it?

#13 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 12:12 PM
Aha! Modders/toolmakers beat EA to the solution once again :D

Test Subject
#14 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
So is there any documentation on what exactly causes that error message and how to avoid it?

I've read this post on the sims4studio website :

Please note that if you want the design tool to work with your recolor you will need to download Sims 4 Studio 2.4.0.4 (LOVE) or above. Previous versions of Studio and other tools making recolors are not able to make object recolors that work with the design tool.

I hope this can help you
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 4:32 PM
No, I didn't mean stuff like "use suchandsuch version of suchandsuch tool" but actual technical information. Have they published it anywhere?

Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
No, I didn't mean stuff like "use suchandsuch version of suchandsuch tool" but actual technical information. Have they published it anywhere?

I don't know exactly what info you are looking for but you can check S4S's own forums and/or post your question there. I'm sure you'll reach the information you need.

http://sims4studio.com/

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Test Subject
#17 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 3:42 PM
Default hi
[QUOTE=Joefish]Hello

Hi what do i do when i install cc i cant do anithing i dont recolor and it doesnt work
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#18 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 4:22 PM
Any cc that was made before the script call failure problem was solved would have to be fixed by the creator. Until then the design tool still can't be used on it and the only way to change the color used is to rebuy the object and select the new color option.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Any cc that was made before the script call failure problem was solved would have to be fixed by the creator.

Maxis have announced they'll look into fixing it on their side, though -- see this thread at EA:

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruModSquad
Hey guys, yes confirmed there is a problem here - I did not verify that it used to work but regardless it should be fixed. It's likely a problem on the C++ side. Will take a look as soon as I can, will keep you posted.

so it might be a better idea to simply wait for that instead of changing the IDs of existing objects (which downloaders could easily do themselves as well, it's not complicated), because that would mean creating a duplicate version of said objects. No big deal for things that people only download once, but it would likely create some amount of confusion when those objects get updated.

If anyone wants to change it for themselves, see the first post in that EA thread -- you will need s4pe to do this, link is in the sticky in Create > Tools.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#20 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 5:36 PM
Yeah I know EA is looking into it and I'm patiently waiting for them to fix it. (I'd like to try making something for TS4 again but I'm determined to wait for a fix from them!) I didn't point anyone to that thread because I'm stubborn like that. Yes- anyone can change it for themselves but isn't it better to wait for a real fix to the problem? I sure don't want to fix the stuff I have just to turn around and have to fix it all again. Not only am I stubborn like that, I'm lazy like that too.

BUT- the solution is there for anyone who isn't too stubborn or lazy! Which is probably everyone other than me, lol.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 5:41 PM
Oh I'm also not changing my old objects, for the same reason =) .. not going to update everything *twice* (and then people d/l the wrong fix etc pp).