Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#176 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 12:46 PM
@Kukamuukaanmuka; You may have a cold Fanta, although I don't think it is the correct way to celebrate winning a round myself. What you really should have is a big bottle of champagne, and handle it like a princess does (a South African one, of course)

Congratulations to all the contestants; you all did well, and this is still wide open! Reminding you all again that I grabbed a second place in my first contest after ending stone last in the first round
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#177 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 1:14 PM
Ah forget Princess Charlene, drink it like Patrick Stewart!

( Does Danny Riccardo ever stop smiling?)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#178 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 3:49 PM
There is more champagne in the bottle (Yes, DannyRic stops smiling when Max crashes into him)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#179 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
(Yes, DannyRic stops smiling when Max crashes into him)

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#180 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 5:56 PM
My 2nd favourite Aussie - Jo is number 1
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#181 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:08 PM
Ah yes, Jo is my number 1 too.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#182 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 11:49 PM
Aww you guys. :blush:

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
#183 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 1:48 AM Last edited by Kukamuukaanmuka : 14th Jun 2018 at 2:26 AM.
darn, Justpetro has the same timezone as I have (yes still living pretty opposite side of the globe, but at the same line if we draw a line from north to south ) So she must be at sleep as I assume not as nightowl as I

I need my Fanta , lol, I refuse to have anything what is stronger than milk :D

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#184 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:09 AM
You might want to check the table to be sure it links to your entry and that your scores are correct since I can make mistakes. If you click on 'Score' it will take you to the page that the comments and scores are on. If you click totals it will order the table so you can see where you are ranking.

Also if you feel the judges missed something or you have any query over your comment or score feel free to say so.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#185 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:41 AM
Default Round 2 - 2 Cover Up Road
Quote:
Has there ever been a group of roommates so different from one another? As if living in Strangetown isn't hard enough, will these girls be able to accept their differences and be friends or will the tension tear the house apart?

Right off the bat, I noticed Kristen, Chloe, and Lola were VERY interested in the environment. Erin has medium-low interest, but she's the outlier. I decided to give the ladies a nice environmentally-friendly makeover of 2 Cover Up Road with as much flora as possible (but not a full lawn, since that's a waste of water and not good for the environment.... *cough* looking at you, Mr. Pollination Tech #9). I also wanted to give Kristen a place to work out, Chloe a cool pad to throw parties at, Lola a space to work, and Erin a place to... uh... enhance her psychic powers.

Pics of the girls enjoying their new home:

Outside of the lot:

Greenhouse:

Ground floor:

Upper floor, main room and Lola's office:

Lola and Chloe's room:

Erin and Kristen's room:

Required pics below:
(due to the size of the lot it was hard to get good top-down photos, so I have several for each floor)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#186 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:13 AM
Cool! Love it. :D

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#187 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:18 AM
Thanks @joandsarah77 I always hate making over the Curious Brothers' house whenever I start a new playthrough of Strangetown, but it was really fun to design the lot for another family! I'm really excited to see what everyone else comes up with, especially since the higher lot value limit means we can do more decorating
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#188 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:28 AM
@Modder How did you find the budget on the last two lots? I am only guessing at what I think is a reasonable figure.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#189 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:39 AM
I really appreciated the detailed feedback from judge one, but judge twos seemed a bit brief. They deducted several points, but their comment was all positive. Although I'm clear on where the lot could have been improved, I would really have appreciated hearing their specific reasoning.

Also, @joandsarah77 the points from judge two only add up to 23, making my total 69.5, not 70.5
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#190 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:07 AM
Oops, sorry @Mordant17 I will fix that.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#191 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:15 AM
Looking good, @Modder
@Ka....(simmer with the really loooooong name) - we should at least pour the Fanta into an empty champagne bottle, I think
@simsample - I will put Mark at number 3 of my list of favourite Aussies then
The fermented fruit juice bar is open! For normal people and for Fanta drinkers!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#192 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Modder How did you find the budget on the last two lots? I am only guessing at what I think is a reasonable figure.

Pretty good, I like the amounts so far. They seem appropriate for each lot.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#193 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:49 AM
@Modder Just a heads up: The recliners don't work on the diagonal, there are playability points at stake here :P

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
#194 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
@Modder Just a heads up: The recliners don't work on the diagonal, there are playability points at stake here :P

Wait, really? I've only had that issue with the cheap plastic, wooden, and tiki chairs. The other recliners work fine
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#195 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 9:16 AM
Hope everyone has seen their scores and knows that the second round has been up a few days.

@Yvelotic2001 Very industrial stylish. I like those lights.

@NatteryakToad Creepy. I like the cow plant down the basement.

@muridae I like the outside and the cutouts. I also like that you used those funny front areas for something else.

@Simoleon37 Cool slanted window openings. Also quite creepy, don't think I would want to be their 'guest'.

@Kukamuukaanmuka I love the use of water and that you moved the entrance. I was hoping to see the entrance moved.

@Modder I love that your house looks like a lab and that you changed what those little front areas are used for.

@quycksylver Happy to see those front areas used for other purposes. I like the retro vibe.

@motheringthesims Interesting was my first thought looking at the front. I like the colour scheme and that large footprint bathmat.

@randomlyyellstuff Very nice roof line and pretty colours. I like how you decorated.

@Flickstar Good thinking to use that small area for a nectar bar and dining area. I like the 'friendly' kitchen. Cool oven.

@Emerald1234 Good job fitting 4 ladies in this place. Nice bathroom floor tiles.

@Marleen267 very sleek and modern. I like how those two small areas became lab rooms.

@simsample Clever use of keeping that roof. I like the family painting next to Olive.

@Aysarth I like the orange feature wall and mushrooms down the basement.

@Mordant17 I like your kitchen placement, clever. Also a moved entrance! yes, I was looking for that.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#196 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@muridae I like the outside and the cutouts. I also like that you used those funny front areas for something else.

Thanks, Jo. The idea for using the cutouts was my main reason for throwing my hat into the ring in the first place, so I'm glad you liked them. I can't play at the moment, as my main computer is in storage while decorating goes on and the laptop would melt if I tried to play on that. It can just about cope with building though, so the contest is very timely.

My scores all add up fine, thanks.

I do have one question for the judges, as much for the benefit of anyone who might house the Smiths in future as for my own curiosity. Do they consider PT9's lawn to be mandatory? I made a design decision not to break out the terrain paint and add one, as I considered that it spoiled the aesthetic of what I was aiming for with the house exterior, but as his bio also listed cloudwatching and stargazing I gave him roof access and a telescope instead.

Jill's interest in the sea is a fair cop though. I simply ran out of money and couldn't afford the pool I wanted to build her, or even a suitable toy. So I did the best I could by starting to dig a pool with the terrain tools, since that was free, but knew it was a bit of a kludge. When I can get back to the main computer and SimPE/Photo Studio again I shall give her a nice seascape painting to make up for it.

I think the target spend is challenging, but reasonable. I could probably have done with another 5K for house one, but it was my own decision to house a family of four and use all those expensive cutouts. I think it would have worked out fine for a smaller household.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#197 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 2:58 PM
It's me that wants the lawn green. Mainly because I don't believe PT9 would have anything else-and the families are the ones doing the makeover. Even if it's only a small patch that showed he was trying for a green lawn. Having the lot feel like it was that family doing the makeover is an important part of the challenge. Without that there would not be much of a challenge since the only rule is to keep the shell.

I was expecting people to pick the smaller families this round to save money, but whatever family you pick is fine.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#198 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:13 PM
That's fine. Lawns are good. I'm sure he'd start sowing one the moment he moved in. Just thought I'd check so that everyone else who uses the family knows to add one.
Mad Poster
#199 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:31 PM
@muridae
As a judge:
The thing about this competition is that you are not just building a house, you are building a house for a specific family and with specific individuals in the family. If you look at PT9's bio, it is not just that he likes it, his lawn is one of the most important things in his life. That is why it should be there.

With a tight budget, it is still very important not to neglect any family member. If you have left out the telescope (sims can stargaze without one; it is also expensive) you could easily have given Jill a toy or two (and some nautical wallpaper would have been perfect).

I really hope you will continue, because your house was a very good start. We all make mistakes when we take part in contests (I may hold some kind of record there myself - forgetting required stairs and required second bathrooms at times). That is how we learn to build better in the end.
Mad Poster
#200 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:10 PM
May I just explain why I didn't use terrain paint in my house. I usually do use green terrain paint in my lots. But this is Strangetown, and Strangetown is in the middle of a sandy desert. Moreover I was building a house for Ajay Loner, who is reputed to like counting the grains of sand on his lot. Now grass doesn't grow in a desert without a lot of watering, and Ajay didn't show any interest in anything like that. (In fact PT9 seems to be the only resident of Strangetown with any interest in gardening, and he only does it to show how human he is. Olive I'm sure has her own reasons for digging in her garden. ) So I left Ajay's garden full of sand, so he has plenty of grains to count. He put a few plants round the entrance to his barber's shop to make it look attractive to customers, because that's where his income is going to come from. But that's the full extent of his interest in plants or gardening.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.

Page 8 of 25