Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 8:59 AM
Default Help me choose my puppy
A friend of ours has a pit that recently(3 days ago) had puppies. My girlfriend and I get 2nd pick(after her mother). Which basically means I'VE got final pick, since my gf already has a dog(we got our gsd/husky mix in July of last year and she chose my gf over me ). I've narrowed it down to puppies 1,2 and 6, but need some help making the final choice. Which pup do you like?

Pup 1

Pup 2

Pup 6
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 9:07 AM
Cuuuute :lovestruc
I think I prefer puppy 6

"I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night." Shanoa (Castlevania Judgment)
Forum Resident
#3 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 9:07 AM

Did you just take a picture of the same puppy at different angles?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 9:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Element Leaf

Did you just take a picture of the same puppy at different angles?

LOL No if you look at their faces you can tell a difference, pup 1 has the darkest mask, and then pup 2, pup 6 almost doesn't have a mask. Their markings are a bit different but, it's subtle, and you can't tell because all the pics are angled differently. All but one of the males are the same shade of brindle with slightly different markings. The one remaining male is a VERY light brindle, and the 3 females are chocolate colored like their mother.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 9:15 AM
I think it's really hard to pick a puppy when you don't know anything about it's personality. When they're a few weeks older you should go and visit them and see which is the friendliest. Pick one that's curious, alert, playful (but not overly rambunctious) and not too reserved. He/she will make the best pet
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AngryBunny.
I think it's really hard to pick a puppy when you don't know anything about it's personality. When they're a few weeks older you should go and visit them and see which is the friendliest. Pick one that's curious, alert, playful (but not overly rambunctious) and not too reserved. He/she will make the best pet

I REALLY wish I could, that was my initial plan, but she told my girlfriend people were already reserving pups, and that the brindles were the ones people were most interested in. So unfortunately I'm forced to pick my pup based on his looks rather than personality I'm HOPING that even if I make my pick now there will still be a few brindles unclaimed in a few weeks so I can compare personalities and change my mind if needed. My family dog when I was a kid was a dark brindle male, which is why I'm so attached to the idea of getting one of the dark brindles.
Theorist
#7 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AngryBunny.

I thought the pup's personality will depend on the environment it is raised in, so I doubt it will make any difference if they're raised in the same way.
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 11:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
I thought the pup's personality will depend on the environment it is raised in, so I doubt it will make any difference if they're raised in the same way.

Yes and no. It's like for brothers and sisters : they're raised in the same family but don't have the same personalities, right ? The same goes for animals : they're all differents.

"I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night." Shanoa (Castlevania Judgment)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:03 PM
I think they're all adorable but then they always are at that age.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Rubric Wrangler
#10 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 1:34 PM
If you're looking for a specific temperament, ask the breeder to pick for you. They know the pups best, and it's much easier to live with a dog with good temperament than a nasty one that looks nice.

My breeder chose my pup for me, it wasn't possible for me to see them in person. I told her what I was looking for in temperament and what my lifestyle was like, and she said she knew which one was the best fit. Three years later, this dog is amazing, he's perfect for me.

Obviously at their age (2 weeks?) they don't have a tonne of personality, but if the breeder is spending time with them she should be able to see some differences emerging.

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 1:35 PM Last edited by JNAS2006 : 5th Nov 2011 at 1:52 PM.
Quote:Originally Posted by vhanster

Quote: Originally posted by Yue
Yes and no. It's like for brothers and sisters : they're raised in the same family but don't have the same personalities, right ? The same goes for animals : they're all differents.

You also have to factor in genetics, because even though 2 pups may have the same parents they're not going to have IDENTICAL genetics unless they're identical twins. Genetics play a role in the predisposition of animals, for example you wouldn't want to breed a dog with a great personality to a dog that shows aggression towards ANYONE(be it by race, gender, or everyone in general) because that aggression could be inherited(or it might not be inherited, OR you may get an incredible pup that later passes that aggression on to his/her own pups if bred) by the pups and ruin a good genetic line in one breeding.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 1:59 PM
I love pup 2. It looks like a swimming otter in that pic. Pup 6's ears look different from the two above they are almost paddle shaped not as pointed looking. They all look adorable, good luck!
Banned
#13 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:04 PM
I like the first one the most.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by easypeaze
I love pup 2. It looks like a swimming otter in that pic. Pup 6's ears look different from the two above they are almost paddle shaped not as pointed looking. They all look adorable, good luck!

LOL you're right, I hadn't noticed that! Almost enough to make me pick pup 2 just for that and name it Otter(I LOVE otters!). Alas we already have a name picked out to go with our 2 girls, Romë Adelle(our husky/gsd mix), and Remedy "Remy" Adair(Our hand-raised 7 week old kitten). His name will be Reggae Adler XD

Also I talked to the woman we're getting him from a bit over an hour ago, she's going to "reserve" these 3 pups for us until they're old enough to really determine their personalities. I'd still like your opinions though XD We're going to be visiting them regularly, so if ya'll would like I'll update with pics as frequently as I can :D
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:42 PM
I like no. 2, he seems relaxed.
Instructor
#16 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 3:36 PM
Personality is way more important than physical appearence. But, I personally would choose none. I prefer small dogs.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 3:38 PM
So glad you'll be able to see their personalities before you get to pick one! Love the name. It would be great if you gave updates and which one you're leaning towards.
Theorist
#18 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 3:52 PM
I like one.

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 4:29 PM Last edited by JNAS2006 : 5th Nov 2011 at 4:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PharaohHound
Obviously at their age (2 weeks?) they don't have a tonne of personality, but if the breeder is spending time with them she should be able to see some differences emerging.

Sorry I didn't see this before. The pups are currently only 3 days old, they were born Wednesday evening. So there's quite a while before we get to bring him home. We don't live far from them so we'll be visiting them frequently over the next several weeks and will even get to take our girls to meet them once they're a little older and our kitten gets her shots so we can see how they all react to each other. I don't want to bring him home just to have to find him a new home because he doesn't get along with our other pets(we're firm believers in pets being a part of our family for life, our girls live and will ALWAYS live inside our house and share our bedroom at night. We even lived in a shitty environment for a time because we were having trouble finding a rental that allowed pets.) so it's of the utmost importance that he gets along well with both our dog and kitten.

Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
Personality is way more important than physical appearence. But, I personally would choose none. I prefer small dogs.

I agree, personality is FAR more important, at first we were being pressured into making an immediate choice because other people were quickly laying claim to the brindle pups we were interested in. BUT after talking to the woman she agreed to reserve these 3 pups until they were old enough for us to observe their personalities and how they interact with our existing pets(partly because she genuinely likes us and know the chosen pup will be well cared for a spoiled, and partly because my girlfriend is her boss and she wants to stay on her good side.... and keeping me happy keeps her happy ). I personally prefer large breed dogs, my FAVORITE breed in the great dane. The only small breed dogs I like are bostons, poms, dachshunds and min pins, though there is a special place in my heart for my girlfriends chihuahua Joplin XD(she bonded with my "mother-in-law" when my gf lived with her for 2 years so we had to leave her behind when we got our own place ).

Quote: Originally posted by easypeaze
So glad you'll be able to see their personalities before you get to pick one! Love the name. It would be great if you gave updates and which one you're leaning towards.

I'm VERY excited the pressure is off and we get to go by personality instead of looks. Right now I'm REALLY hoping pup 6 has a good disposition because I'm very strongly leaning towards him, he's the biggest in the litter(weight/length/bulkiness wise) and I REALLY want a large puppy XD I'm guessing at the moment he's got a decent disposition, she rolled all the pups onto their backs to get pics of their chest markings and he was happy as a clam to just lay there and take it, she said the others all whined and cried and wiggled around.
Scholar
#20 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 4:51 PM
They all look very similar to me. I would probably choose based on what personalities they show, if any. When we got one of our current cats, there were plenty of cuter kittens, but he was so very, very friendly, so we picked him. He's turned out to be the coolest cat I've ever owned.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JNAS2006
I'm guessing at the moment he's got a decent disposition, she rolled all the pups onto their backs to get pics of their chest markings and he was happy as a clam to just lay there and take it, she said the others all whined and cried and wiggled around.

As long as he wasn't cringing or cowering when rolled onto his back, that's an excellent sign. I read once that you want a pup that will struggle a little briefly, then tolerate the forced submissive posture. Shows a nice balance between cowardice (and a possible future as a fear-biter) and aggression.

ETA: Six IS beautiful, too! Love the dark brindle.
Banned
#22 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
Personality is way more important than physical appearence.
If only people were thinking the same while choosing a human companion.

But, I'm surprised nobody said "choose with your heart". Hold them all and choose the one you want to care for and love for many years to come. It's all not about the most perfect animal, really, it's about the one you're going to be happy with - and you're the only one who can possibly guess that.
Banned
#23 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 5:34 AM
Puppy 6 would be the best..
Scholar
#24 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 2:23 PM
Assuming he has a good personali-

ONE IS ADORABLIST. I WANNA SQUISH 'IM.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 3:28 PM
2 or 6. Oh they are soo cute, can I have one? (just kidding!) although I do really want one

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Page 1 of 2