Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:01 PM Last edited by padre333 : 13th Feb 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Default Hilarious Mirror Anomaly
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I have spent all day, making small adjustments to a leaning mirror. Adjusting the CRES and the mesh to try and get the reflection mesh in the correct position. And it has been a nightmare. But, I have had a somewhat successful edit and am determined to not touch it again, lest the glass ends up in the ceiling. Again.

All that said, the issue I am now having is when I directed my sim to "gussy up" or "practice speech" etc, he faced the other way. It was hysterical. If a little annoying. I really have no idea why this is happening nor do I know how I could fix it.

Any ideas?

*I hear something...Is that MustLuvCatz running away from yet another Padre Problem?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 9:25 PM
When you changed things in the CRES, did you change the rotation of the routes, or any of the parent nodes of the routes?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 11:17 AM
omglo! Thank you!! That did the trick. I had been clicking so many things, trying to get the reflection in the correct position, I had mistakenly altered a route value in the CRES.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by padre333
*I hear something...Is that MustLuvCatz running away from yet another Padre Problem?

No! But looking at the time you posted, I was still a couple of hours away from being home so didn't even see your post. Kind of odd that this thread never showed up in new posts though. Maybe my computer was trying to save my sanity??

So. Mirrors. You thought lamps were a pain? Welcome to the world of mirrors, they're WORSE. I've never touched the CRES of a mirror - I have no problem with playing around with the CRES of any other object, some of my most interesting crashes were due to that. But a mirror's CRES? No way. (Although that "was then". These days I might be a tad more adventurous.)

The reflection and bounding box of a mirror are 2 parts I won't move in MilkShape, in fact I don't even bother exporting the bounding box. If the reflection does needs edited - like it's too small for the frame and I don't want the frame to be smaller - I duplicate it so I know exactly where it needs to be. Then I move the reflection mesh up to the frame, do the edits, then move it back to where the duplicate is. Works for me, the last mirror I made I got it right on the first try.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2016 at 10:55 PM
That's interesting. I'd never thought of doing it that way. I was being WAAAAY too ambitious with it because I thought it would be clever to create a mirror that sits atop surfaces, leaning against the wall - rather than hanging. Absolutely hideous! It'll be the last time I make one like that. But after many many hours of nudging, rotating (by a fraction of a millimetre), BHAV manipulations (and fails and crashes), CRES explosions etc, it worked! However, it's still a little higgledy-piggledy and the reflection could do with more nudging, but I'm too scared to touch it again. I found that even a slight adjustment in my 3D programme, will send the piece - literally - through the roof!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 10:06 AM
Dear MLC,

Indeed. This mirror has caused me more headaches than the lamp ever did! I'd wager you've been expecting to see another cry for help from a desperately useless padre! Truly, I have no idea what I am doing. I just randomly click about the package and of course, we end up with either a mirror that is collecting the cloned objects texture and no reflection or a mirror that simply crashes the game. I made 2 separate mirrors, each with their own guid. The second entry will show the correct texture and reflection only if the first mirror is in my downloads folder.
So, in short - cc-mirror 1 replaces the Maxis Mirrror's texture but shows the correct texture on both cc-mirror 1 and 2. Removing cc-mirror 1 from my DL folder, the correct Maxis Mirror's texture returns to the Maxis mirror, but cc-mirror 2 shows Maxis texture too.
OMG. I have a headache. I think I might lie down. And smash all the mirrors in my house.

I might just make sofas, pictures, chairs and tables in future.

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered. And apologies for bombarding this forum with my nonsense.

p
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by padre333
I might just make sofas, pictures, chairs and tables in future.

You mean you're not interested in making a light-up mirror that looks like stove with the fireplace animations so sims can warm themselves and a grill top - complete with grill sounds! - that your sims can praise or curse? Oh, and that may or may not light your sims on fire or electrocute them? Anddddddd.. as a bonus can be shifted up/down and used with the quarter-tile cheat? Cuz I can totally help you do that .. just so you know. I can even guarantee that it will crash your game in interesting ways. Heck, it could even be set up as a repository for other objects (so there are more than 2 textures when recoloring, like the Grand Trianon set) if I can remember how I did that. :D

I have no idea what you did. Are you sure about the GUIDs? Maybe post the packages and I'll take a look sometime today?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 8:15 PM Last edited by padre333 : 17th Feb 2016 at 9:10 PM. Reason: typo and additional text
Quote:
You mean you're not interested in making a light-up mirror that looks like stove with the fireplace animations so sims can warm themselves and a grill top - complete with grill sounds! - that your sims can praise or curse? Oh, and that may or may not light your sims on fire or electrocute them? Anddddddd.. as a bonus can be shifted up/down and used with the quarter-tile cheat? Cuz I can totally help you do that .. just so you know. I can even guarantee that it will crash your game in interesting ways. Heck, it could even be set up as a repository for other objects (so there are more than 2 textures when recoloring, like the Grand Trianon set) if I can remember how I did that. :D

Oh, I've already made one of those.

GUIDs are indeed different. I've created a third mirror and am going through everything carefully and delicately. If this fails, I'll just leave the mirror for another day/week/month. Thank you for offering your undying support. You really are a hero.

Edit: Fail. After adjusting height and depth of glass panel, the brilliant thing no longer shows a reflection. Good-bye mirrors. I no longer want you near my new set. Please and thank you.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 9:43 PM
You've already made one of those? Oh.
BUT - I can do that totally on purpose. :p

No hero here. I'm just a person who's learned a thing or two, either accidentally or on purpose, over the years and anyone here is welcome to pick my brain. The knowledge just might be there OR, if not, I might be able to help figure the problem out. Which reminds me that I never posted that tutorial.

OH, and that I have a mirror that I should be working on myself. I should quit stalling, lol.