Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 4:56 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 26th Sep 2014 at 5:19 PM.
Default Short info: cfe "definitely on our radar", says EA
This may make quite a lot of builders very happy I believe: EA just replied to an age-old question of mine:

Quote: Originally posted by pbox
What are the chances of the constrainfloorelevation cheat becoming available again? Is there a technical reason for its disappearance from the out-of-box game, or did it just get dropped because nobody assumed it was important?

Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruModSquad
Ack sorry, totally forgot to answer this.

There is no technical reason that this cannot be supported. This one is definitely on our radar, we know it's important to you guys.

\o/

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Is Claeric
#2 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 8:02 PM
Uh...wouldnt the main reason it isn't there be because there's no terrain modification, and thus no floor elevation that needs to be constrained?

I mean, yeah, there's levels of walls and floors and whatnot, but that "cheat" was a testing command to turn off functionality making sure floors stayed level and changing the ground level didn't modify walls and whatnot. So it wasn't really forgotten, it literally had no reason to exist.
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 10:04 PM
Actually, splitlevels can be made but I found cfe was easier. And it would be awesome to make walls with different hights on the same level, we can't do that yet as far as I know. So, I would love this cheat to be on the game again! :D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:30 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 17th Oct 2014 at 8:18 AM.
There has been a bit more discussion on the thread linked above. Now with contributions from SGHolms aka Eric Holmberg-Weidler (one of the game designers, as I just learned); their position on cheats vs actual features is worth reading I think (if rather unsurprising):

Quote:
There was likely a meeting at some point that was like, "what are some cool new features we can add to build mode that haven't been done before?" Spandrels etc. likely came out of that, while I happen to know CFE wasn't considered until much later because it was never considered an actual "feature" in the usual terms being a cheat in all. I know for you guys it's something huge, but in general cheats are treated differently because they aren't part of the normal flow of play, which is why they are cheats

I don't know exactly how easy those were to implement versus how hard CFE would be, but I do know things like spandrels and corbels count as content...a lot of the time to make those is simply the modeling involved to create them, while CFE would be a feature completely implemented by engineers. As you might guess, those resources aren't interchangeable so that's another thing to keep in mind

Since we can't talk about future releases, all I can say is we recognize your guys desire for the feature and are talking about it

Quote:
[T]he main difference between cheats and non cheats is if it's not a cheat it cannot create situations that we feel are broken, and in general has a higher requirement of usability. With a cheat if it sometimes breaks stuff, no big deal, it was a cheat and the level of usability doesn't need to be as high because it's not technically "supported" and we aren't expecting just anyone to be able to use it safely...we are fine with people needing tutorials from you guys and all sorts of edge cases where the use of the cheat might break stuff. Anyway, my main point is since this is a "feature" that would need to be completely reconsidered in the new system, it's something we might try to make as a non cheat if we can find a way to make it foolproof enough, which is one way it might (or might not) be different. If it wasn't a cheat, perhaps instead of having to do things like placing a foundation, then deleting it, then putting a wall under it, there might just be a button you could push to accomplish the same thing....I have no idea since it hasn't been designed. But I'm sure we'd at least take a shot at trying to make it easier and faster to do if possible. No promises though, often greater power = less usability so if we couldn't get the power you guys want and solve all the broken edge cases or usability issues, a cheat might be the thing we'd have to stick with.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.