Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 6:32 AM
Oscar the Cat predicts death
Quote:
Oscar the rescue cat is not simply a welcome feline companion at the Steere nursing home in Providence, Rhode Island. According to a new report in a medical journal he has a remarkable, though morbid talent - predicting when patients will die.
When the two-year-old grey and white cat curls up next to an elderly resident, staff now realise, this means they are likely to die in the next few hours.

Such is Oscar's apparent accuracy - 25 consecutive cases so far - that nurses at the US home now warn family members to rush to a patient's beside as soon as the cat takes up residence there.

original article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2135381,00.html

I don't know about you guys, but that's totally "omglolwtf" to me :D
So what are all your views & thoughts on this?

I think it's probably because animals can sense illness, like for example dogs can detect cancer and epilepsy :einstein

Shoo, stop staring at this and go fly a kite.
Advertisement
#2 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 6:46 AM
I don't think that the cat has "powers" or any kind of special sense, maybe its just instinct, or like how you said probably the cat just feels when its going to happen.

Anyway, if someday I found myself in a hospital and a cat comes and lays next to me I will probably hit it with a baseball bat
Instructor
#3 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 7:08 AM
That's not very nice Pandrito! My fave animal's a cat. I heard about this story on the news...

Cass, 22, Australia
My Simblr
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 7:40 AM
Wow that's totaly crazy! I do think that cats have some sort of sence other animals don't have. (Sorry to say, but cats are my least favorite animal, it comes from a super bad expierence)

Pixi3Dus+_F@iry

The First Time I saw him....I knew he was the one.
Currently:A Model.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 8:06 AM
*is suddenly afraid of cats*

That's kinda creepy. But I agree with you, joeySimzee. OMGLOLWTF!! Perty darn weird....
Forum Resident
#6 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 8:12 AM
thats a bit creepy if you ask me... 8O

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
#7 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 2:50 PM
I do think it's creepy, but it's almost a little sweet...almost like the cat wants to comfort them before they go.

The good part, though, is that most of the patients aren't even aware that the cat is there due to their illnesses, so they wouldn't be afraid.
#8 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 3:10 PM
I think there was already a thread on this

but that's kinda creepy. Grim reaper cat.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 6:24 PM
Well, cats and dogs have much keener senses, so it's not at all surprising they can sense things we can't detect without technology.

I thought it was mostly sweet because I'm just clouded with my adoration for cats :D. If I wasn't so fond of cats, I would definitely feel creeped out.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Aug 2007 at 3:37 AM
To get really technical, you can't actually know the cat can predict deaths (his accuracy) without knowing not only how many times Oscar got it right (was there at the time of death), but also how many he didn't (wasn't there at the time of death, or was there and no death occurred). Otherwise, you can't really be sure that the cat is really predicting anything, rather than just being remembered only when he gets it right.

It's like when you are just thinking about someone and then the next day you run into them on the street - you don't remember the times when you think about people and don't run into them, or run into them without thinking about them first.

It's called confirmation bias.
#11 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 4:53 PM
do not let that cat near me! eek!
#12 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 4:55 PM
Yea my mom told me about this awhile ago. Kinda creepy.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 1:05 PM
Wow i never heard of this but i would feel creeped if i didn't have cats or liked them as much as i do lol. I doubt its anything more than chance but i know some dogs have been trained to detected certain cancers and the cat could sense the person getting weaker which im pretty sure they can.

Likeing new TS3 build grid and placements, not liking TS3 Store and changes to shops.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 8:33 PM
I think its sweet and also believe there is something to it...
Pharoahs(sp) also were buried with their cats...and I beleive there are legends of cats keeping harm away like bad spirits and so forth....