Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 8:58 AM Last edited by ripple : 14th Oct 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Default 'Household NPC facination with mirrors' bug?
After a couple of days of hanging out at their attached heroes' homes, the nurse and the blacksmith NPCs will start to exhibit a very strange behaviour. They will stand in front of a mirror to 'gussy' themselves up or check out themselves out indefinitely, even if that mirror is located in a room where the privacy setting has been set at 'owner only' or 'family' (whereas previously, they would respect the privacy setting). I can 'call them over', but then they just stand idle for a while before returning to their rather unhealthy fascination with the mirror.

At first, I thought this was caused by a mod because I couldn't find any other reports of this bug. But the bug persists even after I removed all of the packages in my mod folder, so it must be a native bug?

Strangely enough, I've never seen the castle servant exhibit the same behaviour.

Has anyone else seen this?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 8:52 PM
have you tried killing off the infected sim?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 3:27 AM
Nevermind, I found the culprit. It was Shimrod's 'No Route Fail Animation' mod. It was preventing these NPCs from following their normal routine and using their assigned objects (like the forge for the smith's apprentice, the research desk for the nurse, etc.), so they head for the mirror to occupy themselves.
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 7:07 AM
oh noes! luckily, I haven't had this problem, but if I do I now know what to do to solve it. thanks!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 7:13 AM
Luckily, this is a problem I haven't had.

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 7:51 AM
If no one else had this problem with the "No Route Fail Animation" mod, then the last remaining explanation is that another mod in my list conflicted with it. During my test when I was removing mods a at a time, the last two mods I removed were 'No Route Fail Animation" and Grim's sample long cloak mesh for male monarchs. I played for a bit, and the problem went away (whereas before, the last 2 kingdoms I played persistently exhibited this problem). I haven't seen it come back since. I assumed it was the 'No Route Fail Animation' mod since Grim's mod was a cloned mesh and not a XML tuning mod. I wouldn't worry about it. I'll post back if I ever find out which mod conflicts with the 'No Route Fail Animation' mod.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 9:41 AM
The No Route Fail Animation mod is a couple of CLIP files which replace the default CLIP files for doing the route fail complaining (one for adult, one for child). It has nothing to do with XML; it's presumably impossible for it to conflict with anything else.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 6:39 PM Last edited by ripple : 16th Oct 2011 at 7:52 PM.
You're right Shim. I stuck the 'No Route Fail Animation' mod back into my package folder last night and I haven't seen the 'mirror fetish' bug prop up (whereas previously, I experienced it in two different kingdoms, including the one I am currently playing). The household NPCs will perform their routine normally now, including washing the floor and such, rather than just stand in front of the mirror indefinitely. Sorry for the false bug report, but I am totally boggled now. Something was causing this (I wish I FRAPSed it when I had the bug), it's driving me me nuts that I don't know which mod it was.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ripple
You're right Shim. I stuck the 'No Route Fail Animation' mod back into my package folder last night and I haven't seen the 'mirror fetish' bug prop up (whereas previously, I experienced it in two different kingdoms, including the one I am currently playing). The household NPCs will perform their routine normally now, including washing the floor and such, rather than just stand in front of the mirror indefinitely. Sorry for the false bug report, but I am totally boggled now. Something was causing this (I wish I FRAPSed it when I had the bug), it's driving me me nuts that I don't know which mod it was.

I had some problems with some customs skin mods I had picked up. Did you have any of those? Sadly, the skins were very attractive, and I had to pull them out. But perhaps it was just on my computer. Don't know for sure.

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ladyskye
I had some problems with some customs skin mods I had picked up. Did you have any of those? Sadly, the skins were very attractive, and I had to pull them out. But perhaps it was just on my computer. Don't know for sure.

The only other package I removed right before this bug went away was Grim's sample long cloak for male monarchs that he was using to demonstrate the TSM Cloner. I didn't think that would be it because it was just a custom mesh. I'd test to see if that's it but I no longer have it and can't find the download link in Grim's clothing tutorial thread.