Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 1:18 PM
What if you woke to find you're a century back?
Yawning, you oh-so-slowly shut down your Sims game and look at your computer's clock: it's one in the morning already! Wearily, you close down the machine and finally hop into bed.
The very next morning, you wake up, stumble out of bed and, tripping over seven more invisible objects, you go to the loo, not noticing that there's no flush thingie, and that instead of the plastic toilet seat there's just a deep, black hole. Disgusting smell emanating out of there alright *shudder*. Radioactive as the Sims' toilets after a pregnant sim has dumped her morning sickness into it. You fumble for the flush thingie and wonder why it's not there. In your half-sleepiness, you assume it probably fell into the basin and got flushed away. You make to wash your hands, and find that there's no tap there, instead a lever-like thing. You pump it anyway, feeling the freezing water assault your fingers.
Coming out of the bedroom, you walk into the living room only to find your parents there, and some new kids you haven't seen before but look awfully familiar. Your mother may have finally gone mad: she is wearing one of those dresses exactly like what they would wear in the 19th/early 20th century. She gets up, cursing about the uncomfortable corsets, and daddy rebukes her harshly. Finally, dad notices you standing there, agape: "What are you doing, son/daughter? Go help your mother at once!"
"What's the date today?" You ask.
"Why, it's 4th August 1915, boy/girl! Now help your mother at once!" He replies sharply.
Then you realize: you have awoken a century early. You are without a computer, cd player, cellular phones, digital cameras, etc that made your life so easy-going in your own era. The catch is that you cannot go back to your time! So, the questions! I put my own opinions in italics.

1. If you awoke to find you were in the 19th/early 20th century, what would be your first reaction and why?
I'd probably notice that my computer was gone, because it's the first thing I go to when I wake up . But my first reaction when I fully realize this would be "Now, this is going to be interesting!" No really, it would! But I'd be worried about my brother or any male friends I care for enlisting for the war. If I awoke during WW1, I'd feel devastated, because I'd be thinking of all those poor young men dying on the other side of the world (well, if you're in Australia or NZ Kiwi person here! ).

2. What would be the thing you love most about this era?
Personally, it would be all the beautiful clothes that they wore during the 19th/early 20th centuries (aside from those horrible corsets that basically squashed your insides). Besides, I'd get to wear the beautiful clothes!

3. What would be the thing you hate most about this era?
Corsets. Women having to pump one out every 9 months, being expected to marry or else!, the First World War if I happened to live through that era, having to play housekeeper everyday and cook for everyone everyday. I would sorely miss being a woman in the modern day.

4. If you were thrown back in time enough so that you were in the time when World War One was rolling, do you think your brothers/male friends/you would have gone to enlist? If you are a girl, would you have become a war nurse or such to show your effort for the war? Why/why not?
Hm, that's a hard one! I have a peculiar feeling that my brother would probably have enlisted for the war. As for any male friends, I know one woman who would never, ever, ever, ever let her sons enlist for war. Frankly, I'd be on her side. I know one other guy who said he might, but only when he finished school.
If I was a girl-oh wait I am-I would
definitely have volunteered to be a
war nurse if I awoke during the war. Though, it would sadden me to see so many wounded, young men in such pain. I'm feeling sad thinking about it right now!

5. Would you like it less or more if you awoke not only in the 19th/early 20th century, but also as the opposite gender? Why/why not?
New Zealand? Well, women were pretty free compared to most other natioins to do what they wanted, so it's neutral for this nation of mine. But in any other country, probably a guy, but so long as I don't have to go fight on the Western Front or anything. Besides, I won't have to worry about having to experience the pain of delivering yet another baby every nine months or so...

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? It can't be your own country! So you can't choose USA if you live there-choose somewhere like Uzbekistan or whatever instead. :D
I would probably choose Britain in the 1800s, that way I meet my great-great-great grandma and grandpa.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 7:16 PM
1. If you awoke to find you were in the 19th/early 20th century, what would be your first reaction and why? My first reaction would be "OMG!! Where's the air-conditioning!!" (I live in a desert!), and then I would have an absolute meltdown when I noticed the disappearance of my computer. :einstein

2. What would be the thing you love most about this era? The horse pats in the middle of the road. Naw, just kidding. I would have to agree about the clothes. They're so pretty.

3. What would be the thing you hate most about this era? The fact that I would be a woman in a society that believed women were nothing more than maids and incubators.

4. If you were thrown back in time enough so that you were in the time when World War One was rolling, do you think your brothers/male friends/you would have gone to enlist? If you are a girl, would you have become a war nurse or such to show your effort for the war? Why/why not? I doubt many of my friends would enlist. Love them dearly, but they're cowards. As for me, I'd most likely volunteer to be a nurse. I never wanted to do anything in the medical field, but I think in this case, I'd do it anyway, just so that I could be doing something important. Besides, blood doesn't bother me at all, so I'd be a pretty good candidate.

5. Would you like it less or more if you awoke not only in the 19th/early 20th century, but also as the opposite gender? Why/why not? Well, waking up as a guy would be really weird... ... but I think in my case, after I got over the shock, it would be a better arrangement for me, because I'm just too stubborn and strong minded to be a woman during those years. They'd burn me as a witch before you could snap your fingers!! (Yes, I know, wrong time period, but you get my point. :D)

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? It can't be your own country! So you can't choose USA if you live there-choose somewhere like Uzbekistan or whatever instead. :D Well, if I still had to be in the WWI era, I sure as heck wouldn't choose to go back to my family!! I'm Polish! I probably would have been killed! So, really, I don't know. I just enjoy my modern conveniences too much. :D
#3 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 7:25 PM
1. If you awoke to find you were in the 19th/early 20th century, what would be your first reaction and why? I would think I was still dreamin.
But as I found out I was not, I would probably try to find some place where I could sit, safely, and make some kind of survival-plan.

2. What would be the thing you love most about this era? I would not love it at all! Romantic nostalgia is one thing. This would be my life. Considering I have no idea who I am, where to go, who I know, I would hate it! (but if I felt I had it going for me, I would probably love to mingle...and make important friends. If I could find a way to fit in. -still a part of my survival-plan 1)...)

3. What would be the thing you hate most about this era? The above, plus, Im not familiar with the currency, or the local lingo. I would try to hide as much as possible. Maybe I would meet some nice people who could help me to adjust a little.I would probably end up working as a maid, or a hooker.

4. If you were thrown back in time enough so that you were in the time when World War One was rolling, do you think your brothers/male friends/you would have gone to enlist? If you are a girl, would you have become a war nurse or such to show your effort for the war? Why/why not? I would have been a spy. I love adventure. Nothing beats a good cause, right?
(meaning I would go where the money and the warm bed was, really, assuming I dont have a family or really deep bonds in this time, cause I cant muster any loyalty at this time)

5. Would you like it less or more if you awoke not only in the 19th/early 20th century, but also as the opposite gender? Why/why not
That would probably feel more logical. I would understand I had some kind of "mission" of sort. Anyway, my chances would increase. I would be perfectly at ease with that. Knowing this was my "new" self, I would probably try some stunts. I bet Ill get away with them... One thing I could do, is to talk about the "future". I will most certainly remember were Im from.

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? In my own bed in my own time. Thats all I can handle right now...Im critical of our own time, but it doesnt mean I would like to change where I am.
#4 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 7:30 PM
1. If you awoke to find you were in the 19th/early 20th century, what would be your first reaction and why?

It'd probably be some strangled "arghhh", or else I'd sit there on my bed blaspheming and stuff (then get burned at the stake for being a witch/heretic). My first reaction would be shocked, as one is when one realises they have been transported back 100 years. Then I'd call for my maid.

I love Victorian/turn of the century era! It'd be great to live there for a short time because of the whole social structure - if I were in upper class, that is. It makes things a lot easier with the ballroom dances for finding dates and stuff, and it's a lot less effort as the men have to do all the work!

Workhouses and poverty. Knowing my luck, I'd live in a back-to-back house in some slum living off boiled slugs and dirty water. Also, not being able to have any say in who I marry. I'd kick off big style if I had to marry some horrible bearded idiot just because he was rich. Then I'd get burned at the stake, again, for not attending church every Sunday.

4. If you were thrown back in time enough so that you were in the time when World War One was rolling, do you think your brothers/male friends/you would have gone to enlist? If you are a girl, would you have become a war nurse or such to show your effort for the war? Why/why not?

I think they would have. Most of them, anyway. They were drafted in, weren't they? So they had no say in the matter. Although I'm certain that a good few of my guy friends would enlist, which is sad. I'd enlist too if I were male, which I'm not. I'm that type of person (I don't mean butch, I mean patriotic). And yes, I would be a war nurse. I aim to become a doctor in the Army anyway, why would it be any different because of the era? xD

5. Would you like it less or more if you awoke not only in the 19th/early 20th century, but also as the opposite gender? Why/why not?

I'd love that! I've always wanted to be a guy for a day or so. Also, men in that era were much more respected and could do jobs like doctors and lawyers where women couldn't. They could vote, too. As long as I were a good-looking guy... that's all I ask. One without a beard, or large eyebrows, or excessive body hair.

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? It can't be your own country! So you can't choose USA if you live there-choose somewhere like Uzbekistan or whatever instead.

Oh, not my own country? </3 I love Victorian era though!
I would choose the Wild West in the USA! Then I could become a cowgirl - or become my dear Jack Scarlet if I changed gender too, hahah.
#5 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 8:41 PM

"What? :o ... ho*y crap!!!!!" (don't like to say holy crap or anything like that >_>) "I'm dreaming, dreaming!!! No I'm not! *breaks down.. not the dancing kind*

.. I don't really think I'd like any of it to be honest, I'm glad I'm in the era I am

The fact that it's really all unhigenic (sorry, I know I spelt that wrong..) I love the freedom to have a working shower, sink and toilet when I like that offers privacy (as a bathroom) and cleanliness.

I wouldn't have become a nurse, as much as I'd want to.. to help as many people as I possibly could.. but I can't stand the site of blood and I get emotional and stuff.. too involved, a nurse can't do that, really, can they..?

No!! First of all, I told you, I wouldn't want to be in that era.. second of all, being a female is hard enough and I know males have problems too, why would I want that?!

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? It can't be your own country! So you can't choose USA if you live there-choose somewhere like Uzbekistan or whatever instead. :D

I'd wake up in Scotland/ Wales in the present! Hop on a train and I'm back home, no need for passports and their horrific photographs!! :smash: (at least.. I don't think)
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 8:53 PM
I'd probably scream then go outside and explore the area.

Probably nothing. Being black and gay would certainly be hard.

How the locals would treat me.

I'd never enlist in the army now, so why would I do it when conditions were worser? LOL Definately not. I know one of my friends would since he wants to be in the army now. I don't know about my other male friends though; they probably would.

I'd put on a frilly dress and bake some cookies for my husband and kids when they comes home. LOL

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Sep 2007 at 9:04 PM
I would hold large amounts of uncontrollable joy. I'm a huge history geek, you know.

The ignorance. I'd love to walk up to some idiotic egomaniac and put him in his place. Oh, and the clothes.

The ignorance, and having to rebel against society constantly. It would definitely get tiring after a while. That and corsets. Though I probably wouldn't wear one.

One of my guy friends would probably enlist. The other would most likely spend his time whining about how everyone is better at sports than he is. As for me, I'd finish school and then work as a war nurse. Most definitely.

Meh, guys had more rights at the time, but they also didn't have snazzy clothes. Plus, I like me for who I am. No gender switching for me.

6. Finally, if you had any choice in the matter, where and when would you choose to wake up and why? It can't be your own country! So you can't choose USA if you live there-choose somewhere like Uzbekistan or whatever instead.
England, maybe. And if I were there, I wouldn't treat the Irish like crap. I'd choose it because of... the accents and... the castles. Yeah. Betcha can't get a better answer than that.