Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th May 2008 at 1:27 AM
Default Spring Awakening
www.springawakening.com

Spring Awakening

is a Tony Award-winning rock musical with music by Duncan Sheik and book and lyrics by Steven Sater. The musical is based on the controversial 1891 German play of the same title by Frank Wedekind. The original play was banned in Germany due to its extremely controversial content, which included masturbation, abortion, rape and suicide. During the musical, characters sometimes break the fourth wall to express their frustrations, motivations, and desires directly to the audience.

After a number of workshops, concerts and rewrites over a seven-year period, Spring Awakening premiered Off-Broadway at the Atlantic Theatre Company on May 19, 2006 and closed August 17, 2006.

The show opened on Broadway at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on December 10, 2006 and received critical acclaim.Spring Awakening received eleven 2007 Tony Award nominations, winning eight, including Tonys for best musical, direction, book, score and featured actor. The show also won four Drama Desk Awards, including Outstanding Musical and the 2008 Grammy for Best Musical Show AlbumThe production is directed by Michael Mayer and choreographed by Bill T. Jones. Decca Broadway released the original cast recording on December 12, 2006, with the recording later winning the Grammy Award for Best Musical Show Album on February 10, 2008. The guitar Sheik used to compose songs for Spring Awakening is on display at the New York Library For The Performing Arts.

The Original Cast has become extremely popular, featured here in a Gap ad:

Have you seen it? Do you love it?

Opinions, Thoughts?

<3
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th May 2008 at 1:21 PM
I haven't seen it, but I've heard some of the songs and LOVED them. Great stuff, Duncan Sheik is awesome.
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2008 at 5:46 PM
Yeah, I still need to see it, too. I love singing the songs. I think Ilse and Moritz are my favorite characters right now.

=]