Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#101 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:10 AM Last edited by Rabid : 11th Aug 2009 at 5:42 AM.
I agree that Tim Kring has an awful propensity to eliminate the most promising of new characters introduced to the show. I would have loved to see more about Adam Monroe, and although I must admit that burying him alive was a comical sequence and an effective way to incapacitate him for the time being (albeit frankly too clever for Hiro's usual idiocy), his abilities had such potential. Granted, he's not dead and therefore Kring can pull him out of thin air whenever he wishes, but it seems as though his necessity has been terminated. Luke would have been an interesting character to develop as perhaps an apprentice to Sylar, and my love of Elle already being evident, her relationship with her father was an interesting dynamic. Speaking of Elle, Kristen Bell is on the cover of Cosmo this month. I never read that trash, but I might read the article just for her.

Claire really is a moron, but she must have inherited it (well, not inherited, but you know what I mean) from her adoptive father. HRG seems like a slick character, but he makes some of the most glaringly obvious mistakes- case in point, when he took Claire to Stephen Canfield's house during the eclipse (one of the few places that he and Sylar spent time together, therefore one of the few that Sylar would come looking for him at). I understand that Claire was bleeding to death at the time, but what sort of fool wouldn't have killed Sylar at that point when he was kicked down and robbed of his powers so that he could finally die? It wouldn't have killed Claire if HRG took an extra ten seconds to blow Sylar's brains out. Although, I did love the sequence following that when Elle set Sylar's dislocated shoulder. "Stop being such a baby!" .

Claire is such an exhibitionist (not in the naked sense of the word); no matter how many times HRG tells her to lay low, and I think he of all people would be well informed as to how she should conduct herself when in danger, she pulls some death-defying stunt that attracts attention. For all of the drivel about keeping their abilities secret, it is astonishing that she continues to throw herself out of high-rise windows as if no one is watching. It's inconceivable that, in NYC of all places, no one has seen her jump out a window and consequently call the National Enquirer. I don't understand how she can be so blind as to all the things that HRG has done for, either- he took a bullet from the Haitian for her (one of the few moments in this show that made me tear up), was willing to erase his memory to keep her safe, actually died in season two to protect her. She's so ungrateful.

True, I bet ZQ is an incredible cuddly bear with kids, but Sylar certainly isn't. Sometimes his freakishly calm serial killer voice and bloodcurdling screams give me shivers, let alone what they would do to an infant. I've been wondering if Sylar will absorb Nathan's power- perhaps the fusion of their minds will serve as the empathy necessary for Sylar to gain flight. It would certainly be a handy ability to have, although I would think that he would covet teleportation far more, but he doesn't seem to know that Hiro Nakamura exists. One of the things I love about Heroes is how insignificant the people truly are- it's easy to forget that, while some of them are intimately connected, others have never heard of one another.

Tim Kring said that this season will about returning to the original premise of the show: ordinary people with extraordinary abilities. Perhaps this is what redemption refers to- the characters attempting to abandon their wild lives and past transgressions in favor of being normal. It could also refer to Angela and HRG attempting to construct a new company in order to atone for the sins of the old. Whatever the case, it's not about Sylar.

An interesting tidbit: my mom grew up with Hayden Panettierre's mother! Both of her parents come from the country of rural Indiana, and according to my mom, her mother was a snob who married her high school sweetheart. This all takes place in a small town where everyone is up in everyone's business, and apparently her father beat her mother when she was just a baby, and so they moved to LA and she got into baby commercial acting. I was watching Heroes when she saw Claire and remarked all of this, and I was like, "why didn't you tell me before!??!" Yet another indirect brush with stardom for me.

EDIT (as if this post needed to be longer): How the hell does Ed Westwick beat out ZQ and his tremendous performance for best villain at the Teen Choice Awards?! It makes no sense.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Scholar
#102 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 6:51 PM
No, no, Adam is dead. Hiro buried him alive (which to me, was a bit of a shocker because Hiro’s so… cute and innocent, but I should have seen this coming after he stabbed Sylar through the chest at the end of Season 1… though, burying someone alive is somewhat worse than stabbing someone who’s attacking you), but later, at Angela’s request (probably another one of those moves that she makes that make no sense to anyone else, but serve the plot in some way), dug him back up for questioning, after which he escaped (because he’s frankly awesome) and then minutes later got captured by Knox, who took Adam to a paralysed Arthur and then Arthur stole Adam’s power and Adam crumbled to dust.
I just… worst thing ever to do to Adam! And Arthur comes out with this line; “It feels good to breathe”. Why?! Why kill Adam Monroe for some idiot who thinks manipulating the serial killer with mommy and daddy issues is a good idea?!

Lol, I know what you mean. Claire most certainly has learned a hell of a lot of idiocy from her adoptive father and the adoptive mother that HRG clearly did some brain damage to with the repeated Haitian induced brainwashing. And why would he pick the Canfield house? You’re right, it’s one of the few places that Sylar has been to with him. And yeah, killing Sylar right there would have been the better option, and given that Elle was also down at that point, he could have taken them both out, one for what Sylar did to Claire, and one for Elle shooting Claire. Taking her back to the house immediately didn’t solve any problems, anyway. But yeah… Sylar screaming like a little kid with “IT HURTS!!!!” (coming from the guy who’s been stabbed, shot and electrocuted a few times) and Elle’s “Stop being such a baby!” did crack me up. Oh, Elle… you just fail at empathy.
And exactly, how come no-one in New York looks up – and therefore sees Peter or Nathan or West cruising the skies – or notices some blonde girl climbing out of a window, or takes noticed of either Peter or Claire crashing onto the pavement?! Surely, they can’t be that out of it!?

Fair point… maybe Sylar’s iciness scared the kid to bits. Awww! Can you imagine ZQ trying to build a rapport with the kid to make sure he didn’t bawl his eyes out during the actual scene?
Yeah, that’s the thing with the intuitive aptitude thing that I’m unsure of… wouldn’t he need Nathan’s body to understand how the power works…? But then again, he does pretty much have Nathan’s body at hand anyway, you know, being him and all. Yeah, I think that might go a way in figuring out Nathan’s power, but I think Sylar has to be Sylar in order to absorb the power, and right now, he’s just at the level of fixing watches.

Whoa. Wait. Angela and HRG’s method of atoning involves a) manipulating an innocent man into brainwashing a serial killer, b) brainwashing a serial killer into their submission and then setting him loose to live out this other persona when they know he’s going to start killing again, and c) setting up an organisation based on the other organisation that was clearly evil and corrupt and produced a bunch of mentally unstable people when these two were partially responsible for why it went so wrong in the first place?
Really?
If they call it Phoenix, I’ll gag.

And wow! That is one hell of a coincidence! And not so great on the domestic violence thing.
But still, lol, go you!

As for the Teen Choice Awards… lack of taste?

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Mad Poster
#103 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 12:53 AM
I completely forgot that Arthur Petrelli killed Adam. I don't understand why that was a necessary plot device; Arthur ended up dying within two or three episodes of that exchange, and so it seems like Adam's death was cheap and empty. I'm sure that Arthur's devious schemes would have taken the same course of action without his power, and therefore Kring should have kept Adam buried alive to bring back in a future episode. I will admit that his turn as Takezo Kensei was dreadfully insipid (or maybe that was just Hiro's involvement in it that made it so dull), but he could have served a purpose in season four helping Sylar take down Angela and HRG's new company.

The Canfield house was certainly an easy guess for Sylar, but I think it was more than common sense that propelled him to that conclusion- he mentioned in the rental car facility that he understood how HRG thinks. I like to think that his ability to "understand how things work" is far greater than simply being able to procure abilities from brain matter; he mentioned during the eclipse that nothing made sense, and while he's certainly an intelligent fellow independently of his aptitude, I think that it goes a long way to turn him into the brilliant tactician and criminal mastermind that he is. It always gives him the upper hand, such as keeping him one step ahead during the Saw-like game that he played with Claire and company in the Pinehearst facility, and I imagine that feeling that ability slip through his fingers during the eclipse was devastating.

I so love the scene between Sylar and Elle when she set his shoulder, but although Sylar was indeed behaving like a child, Elle wasn't exactly treating him with TLC- where did she get the idea that slamming him into the furniture and the walls would pop the shoulder back in and/or ease the pain ? Perhaps she still harbored a bit of resentment about Sylar killing her father at that point and decided to act upon it. Yet another scene where ZQ screaming the house down was oddly sexy. I also loved the exchange in the rental car facility when Elle told the proprietor that he was a serial killer- Sylar's exasperation was just priceless. Reminds me of the exchange with Luke when Sylar at first wouldn't admit that he is indeed a serial killer. "Okay, I guess I'm a serial killer." Interesting that Sylar gets to go on a road trip every season- first with Mohinder, second with Maya/Alejandro, and third with Luke.

I would think that being one with Nathan would satisfy the empathetic requirement (what could be more intimate and empathetic than sharing a mind?), but if our earlier theories are correct, Sylar and Nathan may not be one long enough for Sylar to absorb the ability. Of all the powers that Sylar has absorbed, flight certainly won't be the most difficult, and so that's a step in the right direction. As far as the new company, it astonishes me that Angela and HRG haven't realized from their previous trials with the old company and from Nathan's Nazi persecution of those with abilities that things like this are a BAD IDEA. Whatever shape their company may take, all I know is that Sylar is going to hunt it down and tear everyone involved to shreds.

I'm more interested to see what he does to Matt Parkman than what he does to Angela and HRG. I hate Matt Parkman with a burning passion (only he could make such an incredible ability incredibly boring), but he seems to have more of a heart and is clearly far more conscientious than HRG and Angela, so I suspect that what he did to Sylar will twist him up with guilt to a greater extent despite the fact that his actions were manipulated by force. I do believe that Sylar has a capacity for good and forgiveness, but it sure as hell won't be bestowed on the man who attempted to erase his identity. If Sylar was smart, he would kill Matt Parkman, kidnap his son to jumpstart his abilities, and thereby achieve world domination, and as Sylar is the only remaining character on this show who could be referred to as smart, it could happen.

Speaking of Matt Parkman, I read that Greg Grunberg is rumored to be cast as some con artist in the Star Trek sequel. Is ZQ pulling strings ?

Scholar
#104 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 9:56 AM
Oh, my God. The best face – well, one of the best faces – Sylar has ever made was the “Does Not Compute” face he made when Elle told him that she told the rental place owner that Sylar was a serial killer who kidnapped her. I was laughing so hard my sides actually did hurt; “That’s insane, why would you do that?”. I’m sorry, Sylar, have you evaluated your girlfriend’s mental stability lately? But yes, the exasperated face Sylar made when the rental guy pointed his gun and ordered Sylar to let Elle go is a close runner up, it’s so very “I’m a serial killer. Don’t you think I’d kill you too?!”. Though, both of those faces could be beaten by the ridiculous “Cake!” face. It was pretty horrific as a scene, what with him killing Sue and all, but that just stole the show.
With the Luke conversation… I’m not sure why he was so hesitant to admit it. Sylar would love the kind of intimidation he’d have over Luke, that way he could control Luke better. Maybe he really liked Luke as a near equal and therefore didn’t use his tricks on him?
And yeah, I’ve been thinking about Elle’s actions, especially her “first aid” to Sylar, slamming him into the furniture and all (firstly, how did she survive a wooden plank to the face with no bruises and/or concussion?), getting the rental guy to whack him, and lol… I think that’s just how Elle demonstrates affection. Look at what she did to Peter. But that said, it was hilarious watching her shove him around and him screaming – especially when she pushed him onto the counter and he started screaming at the window and looked inappropriately sexy for a man with a dislocated shoulder – the place down and her response is “Stop being such a baby”.
Oh, man, I miss her. Heroes needs Elle Bishop back!

I do think Sylar’s power allows him to be an outright genius. I mean, the guy is good at practically everything and it’s plausible that that stems from being able to understand how things work and therefore doing what he pleases with them. It’s just a bit of a waste that he decided to put that towards serial killing, but you know, it makes for good drama. I think being able to do as he pleases makes him feel safe – Gabriel had been constricted by Virginia’s expectations all his life, and he was too scared to do what he wanted because he thought he’d lose his shot at getting her approval and affection, whereas Sylar is completely and utterly free (not in the loose cannon sense as he does pride himself with Zen-level self-control, but he’s not subject to anyone’s rules) and that makes him feel secure, because without it, he feels he’s nothing and so, yeah… it must have been terrifying to lose that during the eclipse. That said, he handled it really well, and he was talking about how normal it made him feel… though, maybe that was because Elle was there, and she gets through to Gabriel, whereas during Season 2, without his powers, Sylar was on a rampage.

HRG and Angela both want power, that’s their basic story. They justify it however they please, but they both really want power. HRG, I think, also dislikes/resents people with abilities and he doesn’t even think of them as entirely human and therefore has no qualms about locking them up without fair trial (fair enough in the case of Knox and Flint, given that one is an established psychopath and the other is an established arsonist, but say with people like Stephen Canfield, or Claude, or all those people in the webcomics). Angela really likes having power and control; she captures these people and then manipulates them to do her bidding, time and again. It also explains her obsession with getting Nathan into the office at all costs, including letting a serial killer assume his identity. Those two will never learn from their mistakes because they want what they want way too much. And once Sylar figures it out, it’ll be mind games galore before he rips them to shreds.

Lol, as far as intellect goes, Sylar takes the prize and then dances on the graves of the other characters’ egos. And yeah, the intelligent thing to do would be kill Parkman and kidnap the kid, but… Kring probably won’t do it. Besides, it’ll be interesting to see what Parkman’s guilt would do for Sylar. So far, all the people he’s killed for revenge have never shown an ounce of remorse for anything they’ve done to him, but I have a feeling Parkman feels guilt and would admit it.

There’s a new Star Trek movie?

Mad Poster
#105 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 7:29 PM
I loved the does not compute face- it was so clear that Sylar was thinking, "why the hell would you do that?!" It was also rather apparent that he was clueless as to Elle's precarious mental stability, but seeing as his own is questionable at times, it only makes sense. As far as Elle slamming him into the walls of the Canfield house, I can't help but wonder if Peter was right about her psychological issues bordering on sadism- the evidence is certainly there, seeing as she took great pleasure in provoking Sylar into murder, shocking Peter every time they came in contact (I know he was defenseless, but why the hell didn't he clobber her for that?), and slamming Sylar into the household furniture. The cake face is the absolute winner of the entire discussion, though- strange to think that the expression in that scene was the only real smile we've seen from Sylar in the whole series. We've had evil smirks, but no smiles. How sad it must be for optimistic, good-humored ZQ to play someone who is never self-satisfied or happy.

I'm not so sure about Sylar liking Luke as an equal (it's inconceivable to imagine the possibility of Sylar actually "liking" someone), but I do think that he came to see Luke as a reflection of himself. He too was manipulated by his mother and forced to live a lesser life that never did justice to his abilities, not to mention that he was the only existing connection to Samson Gray that Sylar had been able to procure so far, and so Sylar was forced to associate with him. Perhaps it was also enjoyable to be in the company of someone who didn't tremble in fear of him- sure, Sylar loves to make people shake in their boots, but he needed to use Luke and therefore needed him to be level-headed.

Sylar is a smart guy without his abilities, but I think that they give him an added insight the likes of which none of the other evolved humans can contend with. Then again, Sylar was able to outsmart HRG without his powers during the eclipse (well, he got killed, but he came back), so it's not as if the other characters are too difficult to pull a fast one on. I would imagine that it's devastating for Sylar to be without his powers, though- the sum of his life is an aspiration to be "special," and without his abilities, it reminds him that he is nothing more than the son of a watchmaker and a woman who collected snowglobes. He would be a killer with or without his abilities, because the hunger doesn't put the evil intent in his heart, but even then, he would be nothing more than a commonplace murderer with no tricks up his sleeve, and Sylar doesn't like to be common.

I think that HRG doesn't like people with powers, either. He's spent twenty years bagging and tagging evolved humans, and while the episode in which his past was revealed made him seem like an eager, good-hearted worker bee when he first started, clearly all those years have corrupted him. Angela is indeed obsessed with power, as well, and it's why Nathan is her favorite son- Peter is too compassionate, too willing to forgive, too inclined to give and not to take. Like Sylar said, "You're not a killer, Peter. But I am." Peter is not a killer, he's not a go-getter, and Angela can't accept that. I did love the dream sequence when Arthur tapped Angela's shoulder in the hallway at Pinehearst, though- her "HOLY SHIT!" face was absolutely priceless.

I have to wonder if Sylar would kill Parkman even if he expressed remorse. I think that he would, because Sylar's limited capacity to forgive would not extend to the man who attempted to erase his identity, but then again, maybe he would want his death to be a slow, agonizing suffering like his father. It seems that Sylar takes longer to kill those who have really wronged him- the decision to murder Virginia was obviously simmering for years, for example.

Yeah, there was a Star Trek movie- it came out in May, I think, ZQ was Spock (I changed my avvie just to commemorate it ), and it was kick ass. I've never been into Star Trek, but it was an incredible action movie, and very accessible to newbies like me. ZQ was fantastic, although there's one line about a towel where he was TOTALLY kindofsortof smiling. His character slipped just a little, but I forgive him.

Scholar
#106 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 9:38 AM Last edited by Alissa888 : 13th Aug 2009 at 10:00 AM.
I love actors who can play against their own characters – like ZQ, he seems like such a bright and chipper guy and yet he’s freakishly excellent at playing an insecure, chilling serial killer. Jensen Ackles, sort of shy, gentlemanly and self-conscious, but ridiculously good at playing a charismatic, gregarious womaniser.

Elle and her sadism… I think Peter was right, she most definitely is a compulsive sadist – and she has way too much fun doing it, like when zapping Peter or slamming Sylar into the walls – but I think it’s a security issue for her. Her face – and her general attitude – when her powers disappeared showed fear, like without it she felt defenceless. I think, even if the Hatian took her memories away, deep down Elle always was a scared little girl after all that stuff that happened in her childhood. I mean, she was clearly dangerous to others, what with burning down her grandmother’s house, causing the blackout and possibly electrocuting people who got close, but she was also dangerous to herself because as a child, she most probably didn’t have control over her powers and the majority of the stuff that happened were accidental, but they had her pegged as dangerous and stuck her in a psychiatric unit, which to her, classifies herself as a danger to herself and deep down she knows no-one really cares for her aside from her use, which is why she was so eager to please her dad. Hence, she likes control and it manifests as sadism because she doesn’t care what she does to people – she was locked up since childhood and given free reign over the prisoners so she never understood normal social behaviour – and that aside, I think the electrocution is like a safety wall; she doesn’t let anyone beyond that (except Gabriel when she was pretending to be a normal human being and all) and once that went away, she freaked out like hell and that must have fuelled some serious anger and resentment towards Sylar because a) she has no powers and b) thanks to him, she’s lost the only person who could have given her affection. Then Gabriel offered her affection and all that jazz and she calmed down a little because she had something instead of nothing at all.

Yeah… no, you’re right, I think Sylar saw elements of himself in Luke rather than see him as an equal. That does also explain why he rescued Luke from the Nazis and then let him go instead of making him earn his freedom, because Sylar sees Luke as lesser than himself. I don’t think Luke saw Sylar as something to aspire to, though. He had a bit of a man-crush on Sylar, and was taken in by Sylar’s charisma, but Luke was always trying to appeal to a side of Sylar that isn’t apparent, and so, I don’t think he was emulating Sylar per se.
And you’re right, Sylar would do anything to be special, he’s afraid of inadequacy, of people walking over him like they used to and yeah, in a nutshell, Sylar resents Gabriel, his ordinary life, his weakness, his insecurities, how he ended up manipulated by everyone, to the point of being afraid of turning back into Gabriel.

HRG… you know, Claire has a very passive power, aside from throwing herself off a building with someone else or blowing them up with herself, there are few ways in which her power could be used to hurt others. If Claire had had a power like Meredith Gordon, Ted Sprague, Tracy Strauss or Elle Bishop, I don’t think HRG could have brought himself to love her, because she would have been a threat to Sandra and later, Lyle and his family’s safety is also what drives HRG to persecute the evolved humans.
And yes, Peter is too weak for Angela to think anything of him. Though, when the future Peter rolled in, she seemed contemptuous of him too, but that could just be because he’s still an idiot, evoked the butterfly effect and then shot his brother. And oh, my God, that face was priceless! Another one of those was in her dream when Knox, Flint, Tracy and Mauray Parkman assembled before her and Sylar grasped her shoulders from behind her.

I’m still going with the theory that Virginia’s murder was done by a desperate Gabriel wanting out of a suffocating relationship with his mother, rather than Sylar’s cold bloodedness. If Sylar had done it, there’d have been a more vengeful, yet detached edge to that whole scene, but instead there was that whole tortured aura to him, just like with Brain Davies. But yes, Sylar would want those that wronged him to suffer, just like during those games he played at Primatech, and when he went to visit his father just to taunt him. But that said, I really do not know what Sylar would do if someone appealed to him as a human being rather than an out of control killer; the few times that has happened (Angela, Arthur, Elle, Luke… Maya was someone he was manipulating from the word go because he was feeling particularly on edge without his powers and all), it has yielded rather surprising results.

Oh! That Star Trek film... lol, I watched it in the opening week. I'm a mild Trekkie fan, but I have to admit, I loved that movie better than any Star Trek movie/episode I'd seen. And oh, God, Spock and Kirk are just perfect together. And Simon Pegg is amazing as always.
I thought you meant that that movie has a sequel in the making. And I love your avatar. :D

Mad Poster
#107 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 6:00 PM Last edited by Rabid : 14th Aug 2009 at 3:52 AM.
Tim Kring so needs to fall down on his knees and beg Kristen Bell to come back to Heroes. Elle Bishop is one of the few mid-series, belatedly added characters that I've been able to like, and what with the track record of dislike for new characters throughout the entire community of Heroes fans, I'm certain that others would agree with this sentiment. I agree completely that Elle hides behind her electrocution because it gives her the power that she has always lacked- her father kept her under lock and key as alternately a company girl and a lab rat, and because of it, she was never permitted to choose her own fate, merely told to follow orders. Shocking Peter and slamming Sylar around put her in control, and it must have been oh-so gratifying to be the one giving the orders for once in her life.

The rental car facility scene was so telling of her psychological issues, as well- she told the proprietor that Sylar was a serial killer simply to cause him duress and control the situation. She and Sylar are more alike than they realize- both are heavily dependent upon yearning to be in power. I did so love when Sylar admitted that he was just trying to be responsible by checking in with Arthur Petrelli she said, "Oh, sure. Responsible!" in the rental car place, though- it was oddly humorous.

Luke surprisingly brought out a lot of emotion and nostalgia in Sylar that quite frankly astonished me. I wouldn't have guessed that Sylar could ever fondly remember spending time with the man who sold him to an insignificant, awful woman, but perhaps something of Luke's naivety brought that out in him. I can't help but wonder if Sylar was indirectly jealous of Luke- after all, Luke did spend countless hours with his father, and we know that Sylar has never wanted anything more than to be appreciated and venerated by a parent that approves of him for who he is. Luke seemed to occupy all of Samson's love and approval, and I wonder if Sylar ever thought, "that should have been me." Resentment certainly runs deep in him, but as he ended up saving Luke's life, he couldn't have hated the kid too much for becoming the object of his father's affection. Luke seems a lot like Sylar, in that respect- just like Sylar would delude himself into believing that the Petrellis were his parents simply to be approved of, Luke would hang out with a crazy taxidermist to be appreciated.

I think that a little part of Gabriel thought about murdering his mother for a long, long time. It certainly wasn't premeditated enough that he arranged a complicated plan years before it actually happened, but the desire and the villainous intent was simmering for quite some time as Virginia continued to express disapproval that he wasn't special enough. As far as people appealing to Sylar like a human being, it seems as though that sort of behavior yields the most favorable results- although it was most apparent with Elle, those that treat him with human compassion are the ones whose lives are spared and who can procure a bit of emotion from him. Odd that, for someone who wants nothing more than to be powerful and special, treating him like a human being gets the best results. I think that sometimes Sylar is deceiving himself, in a way- he needs human contact and approval more than he cares to realize.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to Sylar in a hundred years (not that the show will go that far into the future, but in theory) when he has amassed just about every power under the sun. He'll be immortal, but there will be no one and nothing left to assist him in his ascension to the pinnacle of power and individuality. When he reaches the top, where will he go? I would imagine that the inadequecy and the idleness would send him on a murderous rampage or psychologically tear him up.

What Heroes needs more of: Mr. Muggles. I love that dog. I've read some hilarious theories on the Heroes wiki about how he's secretly a shapeshifting spy from the Company sent to keep tabs on HRG .

I meant the Star Trek sequel- sorry for being unclear. Apparently it's slated to come out in 2011 and Greg Grunberg wants in as someone named Harry Mudd, if that name means anything to you. I personally think that Greg Grunberg is horribly insipid no matter what he does and has a face set perpetually on one emotion, but who am I to complain? Long as ZQ and Chris Pine ( :lovestruc ) are back, I won't complain about the supporting players. I saw it on opening weekend, too- opening night, actually, because it was the only time we could go in the next few weeks, and the hoardes of people dressed in costumes were utterly hilarious.

Scholar
#108 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 2:13 PM
I’ve been watching season 2 of Veronica Mars and I love KBell to bits! And Elle really was such a promising character with such electric (forgive the pun) chemistry with everyone she came into contact with.
I think her seeking that emotional power is also telling of her being deprived of affection, and further more being put under the impression that she had to earn it or manipulate other people into it; she literally breaks people into being addicted to her and it showed in perhaps the most honest thing she said to Peter; “You’ll get used to it, and then you’ll start to like it”. And yeah… I think the relationship between her and Sylar would have been a tug of war. Her and Gabriel would have been perfect because the kind of affection (all things said and done, she was very oddly affectionate towards Peter aside from the shocking) she showers would have made him feel so special and I think Elle saw something that gave her hope about herself in Gabriel and that sort of grounded her a little, and Gabriel would have given her the “unconditional” love that she has never experienced. However, with Sylar, it was a dangerous and doomed game from the beginning because neither would compromise in control.

Hmm… maybe that’s why Sylar didn’t kill Luke and actually felt some weird sort of attachment to him; because Luke is Gabriel in a way, like you pointed out. Controlling mother, a dangerous power, lax on morals and maybe Samson’s connection with Luke made him both feel jealous of and brotherly for Luke and the trust that Luke inadvertently put into Sylar must have struck a chord somewhere. It seems that one way of getting Sylar to do the good thing is to fully expect him to do it. Well… sort of.
I think Virginia slowly broke down Gabriel and maybe there were times he wanted to kill her at times, but I don’t think he would have ever imagined doing it because before Sylar existed, the thought of losing every chance of Virginia’s affections would have been terrifying to Gabriel. Though,, in that final moment, it was desperation that saw him stab her, and I don’t think he engineered the opportunity either; she came at him with scissors, he tried to fight her, the blades must have pushed against Virginia and I think Gabriel just snapped and pushed the scissors fully into her and that look on his face held traces of relief in it. I think appealing to the humane side of Sylar gives life to Gabriel, he really is split in two that way. The last hope of Gabriel getting what he wanted (affection and acceptance, chiefly) had to die before Sylar came about and Sylar is someone with nothing to lose and no care in the world and the only thing he flourishes is his ego. Someone comes along and shows him affection and I think that appeals to Gabriel, gives him conviction enough to be the more dominant side in the tug of war between Gabriel and Sylar. Gabriel needs to belong somewhere, and where he has nothing or no-one to belong to, Sylar reigns supreme because Sylar needs no-one.

OMG, OMG, I love Mr Muggles. He’s everywhere! I actually worried what happened to him after the nuclear explosion in Costa Verde (hey, he survived the last nuclear explosion at the Bennett house in Texas, so maybe he survived the next one too). Lol, he really should be a super spy – it even explains how they knew Peter was at the Gray house in I Am Become Death, because I did wonder (wait… did Molly find Peter instead…?).

Ah, okay… I’m really looking forward to that movie I’ve never seen Grunberg in anything else, so I can’t comment, but yay for the new Star Trek films!
And oh, my God, it is actually pretty perverse how much I love your new avatar. And then in the elevator – “Huh. It really does tingle”.

Mad Poster
#109 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 9:36 PM Last edited by Rabid : 17th Aug 2009 at 2:29 AM.
Elle and Gabriel really would have been the perfect couple, and you're absolutely right about how special her affection would have made him feel; perhaps even special enough to quell his need to kill others and assume their powers in order to achieve that level of special. I would have loved to see Sylar include Elle in the repertoire of personalities that he assumed in I Am Sylar, and it would have been all the more compelling if he had held a one-sided conversation with her like he did with his mother. It would have been fascinating to watch her "reaction" to his guilt play out, and I would have loved confirmation of what he was feeling rather than being left simply with our numerous speculations.

What I really loved about Elle was her optimism. Yes, she was psychologically damaged and socially inept, but there was a very bubbly cheer about her. Perhaps it stemmed from the fact that she was in many ways still a child; she mentioned to Peter that she had never been on a date, and having been confined to the Company for the entirety of her life precluded her from experiencing the coming-of-age trials and tribulations necessary to becoming an adult. That being said and her naivete aside, her playful cheer was a nice breather in comparison to the other females on this show- let's face it, Claire and Tracy are downers what with the way they constantly try to kill themselves, and Daphne was just a bit too petulant and smirky, for me.

Gabriel wants to be wanted, to be cherished, and I think that the miniscule part of Sylar that can't let Gabriel go wants the same thing. Gabriel clung quite unquestioningly to Arthur and Angela's manipulative demands because they expressed expectation of him, and when Sylar saved Luke and grabbed Claire's hand to keep her from being sucked into oblivion, he did those things because he wants people to expect something of him rather than think that he's a nothing. It's why he became Sylar in the first place- to be special, to be better, to be more, and I think that a little part of him will always look for approval (approval could even mean someone simply being impressed or admitting how very powerful he is) wherever he can get it.

I love Mr. Muggles, too. I thought Sandra was a weakling in the first season, but I've come to respect her more and more as the show progresses, especially came up with such crafty ways for Alex to escape the Bennet house, and I love how she always stands up for her children no matter the circumstance (Angela should take lessons from her ). I loved the scene at the breakfast table (why do the Bennets always eat waffles?) when Mr. Muggles was sitting on her lap licking the syrup off the plate . It would be so awesome if he was a spy. I have to say, though, that his best scene was when Sylar "saved" him and went in the Bennets' house in Texas to kill Claire and get her power. He and Sylar had great chemistry, and I loved Sylar babytalking to him .

ETA: Because I just watched the Elle burning Sylar to a crisp scene again and couldn't help but wonder- why didn't his pants disintegrate, as well? If the shirt got fried, surely the pants would, as well, what with the electricity distributing throughout his entire circulatory system and all. Even Sylar is not immune to the laws of physics!

Cute GIF of mopey ZQ with an ugly dog that isn't Mr. Muggles:

And this! I should lay off the Internet :

Scholar
#110 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 8:50 PM Last edited by Alissa888 : 17th Aug 2009 at 9:00 PM.
You’re right. I think the reason Elle’s introduction had such a positive impact on the show was because she was like a breath of fresh air. She had problems like everyone else and yes, she whined sometimes, but she really did bounce back like a ping pong ball and added such vigour to the show. Sylar does add a bit of spark to Heroes (especially now that he’s officially done angsting), but Elle was cheerful, perpetually happy, playful and just all in all fun, with an air that pretty much gave off the signal “I’m awesome, b*tches” – given her need to be in control, it makes sense why she’d insist on brandishing that aura, but yeah… there was something very childlike about her. Given that everyone else on the show was whining and crying about the extent of their problems, Heroes desperately needed it.
To be honest, Heroes still needs that, but Sylar’s stepped up a little to fill the vacancy.
Elle and Sylar’s coolness in action:

That was pretty much the point at which Sylar became the Joker.

Also, like every supervillain, Sylar appears to be a cat person:

Now, am I the only one who’s reminded of that saying that suggests pets look like their owners? That cat looks murderous.

You’re right, Gabriel needs to be wanted, he needs people to recognise him as an integral part of their lives. I think that was why he was such a lapdog to his mother, running around fulfilling her every whim because he wanted to be special by way of being her rock. Except she never admitted it and kept demanding more and more of him. Angela and Arthur gave him that exact special, irreplaceable spot in their lives “You’re the only one who can do this” and all that jazz, and he fell for it because he needed it that badly. I think Sylar (actually more Gabriel, because Gabriel is the one who needs people) hates the fact that he’s got no-one, and it shows in the punishment he left Samson to. He’s also so very insecure deep down.

Sandra has a lot of credit due to her. Firstly, being married to HRG cannot be easy, especially since their marriage clearly involves Haitian intervention frequently. Then, she’s Claire’s mother, which cannot be easy to begin with, just because the girl whines so much, but that aside, Claire’s birth mother arrives on the scene with her pyromania and Claire’s suddenly besotted with Meredith. Then every crazy person and his dog arrive on the scene (Sylar, Sprague, Elle…) and Sandra’s left to deal with this. And I know Claire heals and all that jazz, but the sheer amount of courage it must have taken to shoot her own daughter… and then there was the Eclipse, when Claire was dying and HRG went off to shoot Sylar and Elle, and Sandra was left to deal with the mess.
LOL, I really, really want the future in I Am Become Death, I really want to know how on Earth Sylar ended up with custody of Mr Muggles.

As for Sylar’s pants… it’s the same thing with Kring and Kripke… they love to tease us.

ETA: Is your avatar from the first few moments of "Our Father", on the beach after he'd killed Elle?

Mad Poster
#111 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 5:30 PM Last edited by Rabid : 21st Aug 2009 at 3:20 PM.
ZQ with hilarious hair (like Castiel's sex hair but better ) :

And Sylar's not just into kitties:

ETA: The exasperated face! At last, I've found it.

And because I can:

Elle was indeed a breath of fresh air in comparison to the other female characters who make a habit of wallowing in self pity, and as it's not a secret Hiro and Ando are really the only characters who could be termed lighthearted at this point in the series, it was nice that Elle came along to provide some happiness and humor in an otherwise bleak situation. Sylar absolutely adds a spark to Heroes (he adds the spark to Heroes, in my humble opinion), but not the kind that Elle did, and I'd really love to see her back if only for the humor and the great faces that she gets Sylar to pull .

I never thought that the action sequence with the flipped cars was a parallel to the Joker, but now that you mention it, I totally see it. What really strikes me about that situation was the way in which Peter and Claire handled it; it seems as though, whenever they are together in a situation, their idiocy combines to create a two-headed moron. Not only did they approach a crime scene where Sylar may well have been hiding in the shadows to cut open their heads, but their astonishment and "ohnoes!" at the fact that he killed Ted Sprague was utterly laughable. I can't believe (okay, actually, I can) that they didn't anticipate his murder. And LOL at Sylar with the kitty- every good supervillain needs a sidekick, after all. I think that picture is from this blog, which has some great behind the scenes photos.

I think that Sylar doesn't need anyone- he killed Elle in part because she had outlived her usefulness, and the only thing that he truly requires of others is their abilities, not their companionship. However, Gabriel needs to someone to approve of him, and there the dilemma lies- Sylar will eternally be pulled between his current self and his former self. As far as Sandra, I really have to give her a great deal of respect, especially seeing as her own husband attempted to kill her before their divorce and she had to deal with her daughter's bitchy biological mother attempting to subvert what was best for Claire. She may have been taken advantage of during season one, but she came out a strong lady and a fearsome mother, which is more than can be said for the numerous women on Heroes who run around like headless chickens when something goes wrong.

Too bad Sylar's futures can't be combined- I want him to be an evil president, but he still needs to have custody of Mr. Muggles. Wouldn't it be hilarious if he was sitting in the Oval Office stroking Mr. Muggles like Dr. Evil strokes his cat in Austin Powers ?

As for the avvie, yes, it's from Our Father. I absolutely loved that scene- the setting was so telling of Sylar's emotional state, not to mention that ZQ was totally working the sexy eyebrows and the badass stubble. His freaky villain voice makes me weak in the knees .

ETA: Maybe I should watch more than just halftime when it comes to the Superbowl if Heroes is going to advertise with cute videos like this. Oh, Sylar ... how I love you, ruining the game.

Scholar
#112 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 11:36 AM
Eep, many apologies, I’ve just been a bit snowed under lately and I’d missed our discussions.

And yes!!! You found the exasperated face!!! *high five*
I bring you this as a reward:

And hey, guess what Sylar’s new superpower is:

That’s right. Growing new limbs (no, it’s just a behind the scenes shot)

And… the thought stream I had before the last pic… gone now.

Elle… yeah, maybe you’re right that she outlived her usefulness to Sylar, but it was Gabriel that needed her from the word go. Though, I think Sylar disposing of Elle was because she represented a weakness in him that scared him; it wasn’t that she betrayed his trust, it was that he trusted her and the Gabriel side of him really, really needed her and I think it must have been frightening to risk the replay of the detrimental dynamics between himself and Virginia Gray. You’re right, Sylar will always be pulled between his two selves, but I think he realises that Gabriel is the side that’ll make him happy, but it’s also the riskier option, whereas Sylar will make him fulfilled – though, eventually like Samson – and it’s less risky than submission. Gabriel literally submits to affection, and that clashes intensely with Sylar’s personality.
Hmm, I wonder if the writers will try draw any parallels between Gabriel/Virginia and Nathan/Angela during the Sathan days…. I hope they do, it’ll be very, very interesting, especially because Sylar caved in like a house of cards when Angela tried to adopt him.

But oh, God, Elle was fun. She was the instigator of drama and good times far and wide. I hate most of the other women on the show; they’re practically useless. Jessica was good-ish, Tracy’s like a yo-yo, Claire’s weird, Angela… I used to think she was magnificent, but these days she’s a bit of an idiot and Maya… every time her eyes turned black, I found myself wishing Dean and Sam Winchester would burst in and shoot her with the Colt.
Sadly (on many levels), it never happened.
Sandra has earned a lot of respect lately though, especially given her background in season one.

LOL, oh, my God, now I have a vision of Sylar, with Mr Muggles on his lap, in the oval office, and Peter bursts in wearing a tuxedo and sporting a dubious English accent… Angela would make a spectacular M, and Mohinder would be Q.

Mad Poster
#113 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 10:34 PM Last edited by Rabid : 11th Sep 2009 at 10:09 PM.
That GIF is so cute! Oh, Zach... don't ever change. Love the photo, too- clearly someone was having fun with the props. I wonder if the fake arm was intended for use when Elle was attempting to set his dislocated shoulder in her oh-so lovingly tender fashion.

Did you catch NBC's annual preview of their fall line-up? The Heroes segment wasn't even three minutes long and didn't feature an abundance of new information or new footage apart from Masi Oka singing the carnival freaks' praises and what we saw in the trailer, but there was one juicy tidbit. Parkman was sitting in a ring of chairs that looked not unlike an AA meeting, and Sylar was pacing around in the middle of the ring because he clearly had the floor. He addressed the group by saying, "My name is Sylar. I haven't seen my body in six weeks." After that, he leaned down inches away from Parkman's face and said in the menacingly terrifying manner that only Sylar can speak in, "And I want it back."

I think that we called it about Parkman's guilt- he may truly have been sitting in a grief counseling or AA meeting, but the fact that Sylar was present (in his true form, nonetheless) leads me to believe that his guilty subconscious is producing physical manifestations of Sylar. I remember Tim Kring stating that Sylar will exist in three storylines this season, and while we know that Nathan's body and Parkman's head are two of them, I'm anxious to discover the third. Maybe it has something to do with Angela and HRG building up the company that Sylar will eventually tear down, but whatever it is, I certainly hope that his involvement is in his true form. Not that Adrian Pasdar isn't nice to look at, but ZQ is nicer, and I think that Sylar's physical characteristics (eyebrows, anyone?) lend themselves to evil-doing far more than Nathan's do.

Heroes does indeed have an ensemble that seriously lacks in strong females. I wanted to beat Maya with a blunt object for a long, long time, and Niki was a whiny weakling. I still enjoy Angela from time to time, and Tracy shows promise with the new "silent killer" storyline for season four, but the females are otherwise unsatisfactory. Maybe Kristen Bell had to leave because she was filming a movie, but now that it's done, she could always come back as Elle to round out the wimpy women .

Angela would indeed make a spectacular M- if you think about it, her character is very much like M in the way that she pulls the strings behind the scenes and constantly manipulates the other characters. The thought of Peter as Bond isn't entirely accurate (he's not suave enough, and he's too nice), but I could see HRG as Bond if he were only more attractive. He knows how to wield a gun, that's for sure. I can totally see Sylar stroking Mr. Muggles on his lap in the Oval Office, and if this were Austin Powers, Sylar would totally have his own Mini Me to do his less fun dirty work.

I hope that this post is coherent, and if not, forgive me. I cannot be held accountable for the nearly narcoleptic effects of cold medicine .

ETA: Season four promo photos!

Angry Sylar is angry :P.

I presume that he doesn't have his true form back considering the style of dress and the ring that clearly belonged to Nathan. Perhaps Sylar will appear not only to Parkman but also to Angela in his true form as a manifestation of their guilt? Whatever the reason for him looking like Sylar and not like Nathan, I don't mind- the more Quinto, the better .

Scholar
#114 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 6:26 PM Last edited by Alissa888 : 13th Sep 2009 at 6:40 PM.
Eeek! Would you want to be the one who has taken and is hiding something of Sylar’s? I wouldn’t… unless I had a foolproof plan, which the characters of Heroes (aside from Sylar) are painfully unfamiliar with and have had that shown to them time and again. I really think it’s some latent telepathy that’s causing this thing. However, yes, Pacman has a two-bit easy conscience which sort of fails given that he now regularly invades the privacy of other people’s minds, and I think that’s backfiring because he’s unconsciously trapping himself in very convincing nightmares, just like you said. Do you think he’s doing the same to Angela too, given that she was the one who talked him into it, and therefore it explains the daydream Angela was having?
And oh, yes, oh yes, Sylar-evil is far more fun with the Eyebrows of Doom. I know it’s wrong, but when he had Sue up against the wall and she realised he was lying and he lifted his eyebrows slightly, I laughed so hard… not only because it was just utterly ridiculous that his sense of humour should kick in when he’s about to brutally murder someone, but just… the eyebrows.
“MY NAME IS SYLAR! BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY BROWS!”
That has got to be one of his superpowers, to grow manly manbrows. And I think that’s why Spock looks far less scary except when he’s beating the life out of Kirk on the bridge.

As for Sylar’s third storyline… what else is Idiot Claire up to this season? I mean, she usually goes off and does something incredibly stupid and unless Kring is a homophobe, her lesbian experimentation is out, and she’s always throwing herself out of windows, so that’s just standard play… I’m thinking it might have something to do with tracking down Sylar’s origins to give herself closure. Think that’ll mean she’ll run into Samson and that’ll result in Samson getting immortality and becoming the villain of this season or… redeeming himself by trying to play Daddy with Sylar (oh, dear God, I hope this doesn’t translate as some ridiculous Gepetto/Pinnochio “But you are special, you’re my boy!” thing in Sylar’s head) . Or… maybe it’s key to explaining why The Company were falling over themselves to keep Sylar alive? Let’s face it, Peter has a very similar power to Sylar, Arthur has a very similar power to Sylar, Samson has the same power as Sylar (and that brings us to the question of why he didn’t complain like a little girl about not being special in having a unique power like Stephen Canfield, Elle and Bob Bishop, and the German) but instead of even bothering to investigate those people (especially Samson given that he just gave up and resorted to sitting in a shed and is these days only a danger to dead things that he stuffs because he doesn’t even remember the powers he has) and instead obsess over Sylar?

Sylar and Mini-me… uh, I think we just called Noah Gray’s purpose
You’re right, if Peter Petrelli was Bond, I’d fear for the nation’s safety (well, to be fair, in Quantum of Solace, Bond was pretty worrying all on his own)….

Oh, God… I thank you for those pics… I love my Sylar in a suit
Though, there is something creepy for Angela in that; "I'm wearing your dead son's clothes. The son I murdered. I live his life, I say his words, I took his essence. You have to look at your son's form knowing what's really in his head, you have to sit in a restaurant making small talk and reminiscing over memories with a fake, you have to pretend to love me. Who's worse off?"
Gah, I'm just reminded of that time he had Angela pinned in that chair and demanded that she comfort him about the world's ways.
...Then she came out and admitted that she was just evil and manipulative and it was no-one's fault but her own.

He looks delectably wicked...

Mad Poster
#115 Old 19th Sep 2009 at 3:24 AM
Promotional photos for the third episode here and here- I would post them in-line, but they're enormous. Methinks that Sylar is haunting Parkman again in these photos, although I'm curious as to the identity of the man tied to the chair- the tattoo leads me to believe that he's one of the new carnival freaks. One thing is for sure about the photos, though- no apparition has ever looked as good as Sylar. That jacket is totally sexy, and I love him lounging about on the couch as if he owns the place .

Maybe Sylar haunting Angela is the third storyline, which I must say has promise- I do enjoy the way that they play off of one another. Although, I must say that I hope that his involvement in her subconscious will be that of the sinister badass that we all know he truly is, because I shudder to think of the mommy issues resurfacing. Even an illusory Sylar wouldn't fall for that again. I'm just dying to see how she reacts when he first "surfaces," so to speak, in his true form- just when we thought the "holy shit!" face when Arthur appeared in the hallway was her best expression, I'm sure that Sylar could inspire something better.

I want Sylar to be bad to the bone and always one step ahead again, this season. I enjoyed the way he was with Elle, but his parental insecurities softened him too much. I recently got my dad into the show, but he started at season three, and Sylar's badassery was so ineffectual and weak that he actually thought Arthur was the ultimate villain. It took until Sylar's antics with shapeshifting during his alliance with Danko for him to believe me when I assured him that Sylar was the ultimate villain. I don't want to see that to be possible again- let's have the old Sylar back. And while we're at it, let's find out who Noah Gray's mother is.

Ah, the Sybrows . I agree completely about how they triple the impression of Sylar being lethal and sinister. Other than choking Kirk on the bridge, Spock wasn't frightening or villainous in the least- he reminded me of a sweet, misunderstanding puppy in numerous scenes, especially when Kirk got promoted to first officer and he said, "Captain, forgive me, but I fail to understand the complexity of human pranks." There was something very innocent and naive about ZQ's Spock, which is a testament to what a great actor he is in that he can go from oblivious to practically omniscient.

We only have to wait until Monday !

Mad Poster
#116 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 9:22 PM Last edited by Rabid : 26th Sep 2009 at 2:49 PM.
Double-posting because there's no occasion like the season premiere to double post. For organization's sake, I'll list my thoughts by character, elsewise this will be too scattered .

Claire: She certainly wasn't the highlight of the episode by any means, but I was pleasantly surprised to be somewhat entertained by her storyline, as opposed to previous episodes in which it was a monumental struggle to keep myself from fast-forwarding. My curiosity is piqued by Gretchen, and I can't help but wonder what ability she might have that makes her so fascinated with death. Perhaps she can resurrect the dead? That would be something refreshingly new. When Sandra showed up at the university, I thought that her chemistry with Claire was a tad off- something about their relationship didn't scream mother/daughter like it used to. Perhaps this is just a device to illuminate the writers' intent that Claire is indeed growing up (as if the mature haircut wasn't evidence enough).

HRG/Tracy: They're idiots independently of one another, but I could see an alliance between the two being an entertaining storyline and a relatively successful endeavor. The "one of us, one of them" clause would be fulfilled, and both would get the revenge and the satiation of curiosity that they seem to quite often be seeking. I really enjoyed the ending scene in the hospital, for some inexplicable reason- it was interesting to see two characters who rarely interact in such an intimate scene, and I liked the cameraderie that seemed to be forming between them. If done right, their partnership could be a good thing. On another note, I couldn't help but "aww" at poor, lonely HRG in his empty apartment.

Peter: His storyline was absolutely head on- it was so befitting of his personality and of the various internal conflicts that Peter has experienced in past seasons. I like that he's getting back to his paramedic roots, because I firmly believe that, above all else, Peter is a giver who wants nothing more than to save lives at the expense of his own. It was proven in season one that Peter would gladly lay down his life for a complete stranger, and I like that his character has regressed to that same person and effectually erased the transgressions of the past season. The wall of newspaper articles in his apartment was heartwrenching in that he is utterly consumed by saving people (imagine how torn apart he'll be when he fails), although I do have one question- how is he acquiring all of these powers? I thought he could only harness one at a time.

Hiro & Ando: I'm excited for Hiro's storyline this season- we've seen him incessantly screw up the past for too long, and the prospect that he at last understands the error of his methods is quite promising; maybe he'll do something right, for once in his life. I cheered when he chose changing a miniscule aspect of Ando's life over a life-saving aspect of his own; it was nice to see him be selfless, for a change, and it was gratifying to see Ando be repaid for the years of unconditional friendship that he and Hiro have shared. That being said, the part of the Hiro & Ando arc that I most enjoyed was Kimiko- her faces were priceless ! I liked seeing Ando get the girl, but the segments in which her expressions clearly reflected "what did I ever do to have to deal with you two?" were the best.

Matt & Sylar: Saved the best for last. Not unsurprisingly, their arc was the best of the premiere. I think it's very telling of Matt's character that he worries about becoming addicted to excessive power- for me, it was reminiscent of Maury Parkman's dilemma, and I could see Matt diverging onto either road. Sylar's evil grin when Parkman manipulated the water boy was lovely, and while I more often than not can't stand Parkman, I actually enjoyed him in the confession scene at the police station. Then again, I attribute that entirely to Sylar's presence. The highlight of their story was Sylar ambling aimlessly around the nursery holding baby Matt Parkman and kissing him- what I wouldn't give to be that baby! It was intended to be sinister, I'm sure, but ZQ is so sweet that it came off as somewhat paternal, to me. Then again, the baby wailing when the camera first panned to Sylar holding him was more than enough to make up for the deficiency in the kissing. Kudos to that baby actor.

Judging by the preview, it looks like Sathan might come into some knowledge about his true identity, but knowing that the writers like to yank us around and the previews like to tease, I'm not betting on it. However, one can hope .

ETA: I'm not sure if you've seen it, but on the second season DVD, there's a special feature called Untold Stories. I only just noticed this about a week ago- it's deleted footage from the episodes that didn't air because of the writer's strike. Almost all of it involves Elle tracking down Sylar, being disapproved of by Bob Bishop and starving for his affection because of it, and Sylar being his badass self killing random people. I can't find it anywhere like YouTube (they only have a thirty-second clip of Sylar, and it's about ten minutes) or SurfTheChannel, but if you can find it, I highly recommend it- it's great stuff.

Quote from the new Melrose Place (my mom watches it), by the girl who played Ruby on Supernatural, no less: "Give me the weekend and I'll bring in a client bigger than Zachary Quinto's eyebrows." LOL . Apparently they're pop culture now.

Page 5 of 5